Impressions 7/30

Impressions 7/30/17

2013 Casa Dumetz, Gerwurtztraminer - precise, clean, pure; nothing overdone and a great deal to enjoy
2015 Tatomer, Riesling Kick-On Ranch - trocken riesling done perfectly; balanced, juicy, laser sharp and long
2015 Sandlands, Chenin Blanc Amador County - a bit closed and a slight note of pine; opens over two hours and fills in nicely; needs time
2016 L’Isle Verte, Chenin Blanc Columbia Valley - again a Chenin with a pine note; this seems less ripe than the Sandlands above but also more energetic. It would be fun to see where this goes in a year or two.
2014 Ladd Cellars, Chardonnay Cuvée Voile - young but shows like a high end Puliny in its youth. Much potential but bottle age needed.

2014 Idlewild, Grenache Gris Gibson Ranch - this wine keeps on getting better and it was no slouch to start with. One of my favs.
2015 Clos Cibonne Cuvée Tradition - beyond any notion of Rose; wonderful wine worth the hunt to find it

2011 Bouchard Pere et Fils, Le Corton - as expected it is firm bot not monolithic or overly tannic. Lots of upside and still not without charm today.
2004 Allemand, Cornas Reynard - after decades of tasting these wines, I am sorry I did not buy cases when they were affordable. These days, they are not but they are every bit as compelling. Great wine.
2010 Matela, Teroldego Le Bon Climat Vineyard - too oaky for me, others loved it
2005 Alain Michaud, Brouilly Prestige de Vieilles Vigne - time has been very good to this wine and at 12 it shows more like Beaune than Beaujolais. Dark, rich, structured, balanced and some very nice secondary development. Thanks Becky.
2014 Sandlands, Trousseau - about as complete as one could ask of any trousseau and styled toward the feminine. Love it!
2000 Les Pallieres, Gigondas - a touch big for me but undeniably full flavored and complex
2015 Edmunds St. John, Syrah North Canyon Road - young but approachable and giving only glimpses of its future and its heritage. Hold.
2016 Irene, Red Wine El Dorado - 80% Mourvèdre and 20% Syrah, 100% whole cluster with a good amount of semi-carbonic stuff going on; lightweight, of the earth yet still filled with fresh fruit. Reminds me of the D&R single vineyard Mourvèdres. My first encounter and it made a strong impression. This house could be special.

Best, jim

Props for the Casa Dumetz. Sonja makes some really good wines. Was this tasting themed?

No tasting.
An accumulation of wines tasted over the past three or so weeks, all with food.
Best, jim

Huh.

It really is called simply “Irene”.

http://www.irene.wine/wine-2/el-dorado-red-wine

When did ICANN approve a “.wine” top-level domain?

http://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt

I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

Between reading your notes & Tom Hill’s notes, I’m getting more and more intrigued by Tatomer.

Jim:

Did you have a chance to try Tatomer’s Gruner? I found some in Tokyo and it’s a credible version, although I like the Nigl base cuvee better (and the Nigl is less expensive here).

Thanks for your rose; I brought the bottles back to Tokyo and have been enjoying them with watermelon, feta and mint salad in the heat and humidity.

Steve,
Glad that wine is working for you.
I did try the GV from Tatomer and liked it but this riesling was even more impressive.

Nathan,
Tatomer is the real deal. Graham studied/worked in Austria and that is his preferred style. Quite worthy.

Best, jim

Excellent notes Jim…except you left out your 16 Cowan RRV Ribolla Gialla that we had: Both a good/versatile food wine, and on its own. Has a great texture, while still having taut/coiled up elements (usually you get one or the other). Lean/appealing orchard fruit, citrus and saline/savory elements. Quite tasty now, but there’s more to show. I think you said this got no, or minimal, skin contact? (oops, got the vintage wrong, corrected above)

No skin contact and the 2016.
Best, jim

Thanks for the notes, Jim! I always like to read your diverse selection of wines.

+1
When I visited with my old friend Hardy last month, he told me told me one palate he trusted (along with mine blush) was Jim Cowan.
Good company [cheers.gif]
Now, I want to try a lot of these wines you’ve posted here.
Thanks, Jim.

So You are the DecaturWineDude!

LOL [winner.gif]

I liked the Matela, but see your point. have you tried Foradori Teroldego?

I liked the Casa D Gewurtz because I thought it was less characterisitcally gewurtzy than usual for the variety, and I am not a big Gewrutz fan.

Also, the Irene sounds intriguing!!!

I enjoyed that Clos Cibonne Tradition last night. Have a couple glasses worth left over for tonight. Special stuff. The Cuvee Vignettes is also quite nice.

Jim,
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think both are made sous voile, yes?
Best, jim

Have not had Foradori but have tasted a Brian Harrington’s version, which I liked.
Not usually a gewurtz fan either; I often get a perm solution aroma that stops me short but the Casa Dumetz wine is clean and charming.
Best, jim

Jim,

That’s my understanding as well. I find them totally fascinating. The Sous Voille seems to impact texture more than flavor. It held up quite nicely over two nights.