Rhys Virtual Offline--9/30, Saturday (List of committed wines in Post #1)

Over on the Offline Planner, I have an event planned to be held here at my place on 9/30. What I would like to do is expand the event to be virtual, meaning anyone can participate wherever you may live. We’ve done these before in the past with other producers, and it works well, because we create inclusion of anyone who wants to open a bottle and share thoughts on the wines. And for a producer like Rhys, who for some of us has been a commitment to see where the wines go over time, this is a good event to get lots of different bottles open, by a range of palates, and then share impressions to help further the discussion on the wines.

30th September (for those who are global [basic-smile.gif] ) is still 8 weeks out but if you want to join in and participate, identify a bottle of Rhys you want to open, then do that and post your notes on or after this date. I will commit to taking notes on as many wines here at the house as I am able, and then post, as well.

For kicks, if you plan to participate virtually, drop a post here and even what you have selected, so we can see how things can progress as we approach the date.

PS–to our Moderators, please leave this post in Wine Talk. This is as much an offline event as it is a discussion thread (eventually) for the wines, and the TNs. We need this post landing here to create viz and participation.

WINES FOR THE EVENT (based on posted commitments below, as well as from the Offline Planner)

2004 Alpine PN (Fred B)
2004 Family Farm PN (Fred B)
2006 Swan Terrace PN (TTT)
2006 Alpine PN (Jud R and Pete P)
2006 Alpine Chard (Dan K)
2007 Alpine Hillside PN (John P)
2007 Alpine PN (Bryan)
2007 Alpine Hillside PN (Brian B)
2008 Alpine PN (Russ W)
2008 Family Farm PN (Charlie)
2008 Horseshoe PN (Mike D)
2008 Horseshoe PN (FM3)
2008 Skyline PN (Tom G)
2008 Skyline Syrah (Sean H)
2009 'Shoe Chard (Sean H)
2009 Horseshoe PN (Brian B)
2009 Swan Terrace PN (FM3)
2009 Family Farm (Counselor)
2009 Alpine (Steve B)
2010 Alpine PN (Fred)
2010 Alpine Chard (Fred)
2010 Family Farm PN (Counselor)
2010 Home PN (FM3)
2011 Home PN (Viet L)
2011 Bearwallow PN (Glenn B)
2011 Family Farm PN (Bryan)
2012 Family Farm PN (Dana 'king)
2012 Home (Robin S)
2013 Horseshoe PN (FM3)
2014 Horseshoe Own Rooted PN (Rhys)
2015 Bear Chard (Rhys)
2015 Bear PN (Rhys)
2015 Alpine PN (Rhys)

Great idea Frank!! I’m definitely in and will post back when I figure out what to open. Can you also post the list of wines you guys plan to open so virtual participants can open some of the same wines in order to share impressions.

Russ, thanks for signing on. For the offline live over here at my place, we will have more to commit but for now, here is the list.

07 Alpine PN
11 Family Farm PN
09 Shoe Chard
08 Skyline Syrah

I am in! Here is my selection:

07 Alpine Hillside PN

I will be celebrating the next chapter of my life, since that is also my official “retirement” date (whatever that means)…

Cheers,
JP

I would like to participate. I will figure out what I will open and report back later. Thanks.

Thank you guys.

FWIW, I find it very interesting that this post/topic has over 300 views and only a handful of people thus far who want to join the idea. For all the discussion around here over the years about Rhys and their model, and with all the wines in the CT database, there has to be more of you that are willing to join this virtual event.

Come on, sign up.

It’s on my calendar!

Frank - I am in as well. Please just remind us closer to the date!

I find the ration of views to posts is always sky-high, no matter what the topic. There are probably people who have viewed this who do not have any access to, much less own any Rhys wines.

At any rate, I am a huge fan. I still have a few bottles with enough age to open. I will be in on this, wine or wines I will open to be determined later. If I am lucky enough to round up some wine drinkers for that date, it will be more than one. Otherwise, maybe just two halves.

Dan Kravitz

I will participate and will open something unicorn-ish, but not a black label. 2004 Home Vineyard? My last bottle of 2004 Alpine Chardonnay? I’m happy to checkerboard to fill in virtual blanks, but I agree multiple viewpoints on the wines is also interesting to inquiring minds.

Cheers,
fred

Rhys? I’m in!

Might be cool to set up a Skype or something so that the drinking parties can openly communicate whilst the bottles are open.

Right at the end of fermentation ;( makes it a no go for me. Looking forward to the notes though to see how what I have in the cellar is progressing.

Is there a cutoff for how young the wines can be?

Thanks for the replies…I am encouraged to see more of you embrace this idea.

I am also reluctant to apply any rules of guidelines to this, in answer to Big Tex. The objective here is to get bottles open and for people to share tasting impressions. I actually like the idea of duplicates in a virtual setting as this one will be, as it provides a shared/differed perspective on the same wine.

As a reminder, we have the live, in-person piece over here at my place on this same date. if anyone is in the area and wants to come over, perhaps for the first time and meet some new wine friends, send me a PM.

Thanks Frank, sounds great. I’m in.

I will pound a 2006 Swan and report…

TTT

I’m in Brother. I wish I could be there in person, but will gladly participate via the ol’ internet.

Well I would have committed earlier, but I was in Svalbard, with no cell/WiFi. I’ll happily participate. Exact wine TBD.

David and Dan - maybe we do a Boston offline on the 30th that is real, not virtual? I would be happy to organize if there is interest.