What's the big appeal of Zinfandel?

I noticed a lot of Berserkers are serious Zin fans. I am not that familiar with quality Zinfandel, so I would love to know…

What do you love about good Zinfandel?

Have you drank any Turley? They are the reason I fell in love with zin. Great taste. Early accessible. Reasonable pricing.

I forgot, GREAT with bbq!

big fan of Zinfandel, especially when i’m able to learn about history of the vineyard.

fascinating stories emerge when we start talking about plantings in the pre-prohibition era, and how those properties survived and continue to produce outstanding fruit year after year.

and to echo Adam: great pairings with most things off the grill.

Zinfandel is often great young, or with considerable age.

She plays well in a blend with other varietals.

She is versatile - can be paired with everything from BBQ to Thai to seafood.

She can be delicious alone, but is outstanding with food.

She represents “place” as well as any varietal.

She is humble - not overpriced.

She is a master of styles - from big and masculine to deliciously feminine.

She is present in some of the world’s oldest and greatest vineyards.

She is the best of California - she is Zinfandel!

Not only BBQ, some of the bigger Zins go quite well with a lot of Mexican and Italian food. It’s also not as filling as the Negro Modelo I usually have with Mexican food.

Zin has a wide range of flavors, flavor characteristics and styles. Old vine, Russian River, Howell Mountain, Colson Canyon each have their own unique flavors. Briar and spice or burnt earth and supple fruit. Lots to choose from.

Bring on the Ridge! One of the very few vices this AFWE has, and the only California wine I buy annually. It’s a highly-versatile grape that pairs so well with a wide range of causal foods like pizza, burgers, pastas, anything grilled, etc. Very crowd friendly. Very affordable. Any easy choice at many over-priced restaurants. Most importantly, wife loves it. I pass on the high-octane ones, especially those from warm vineyards.

Not as poetic as I’d like - but direct and to the point! [cheers.gif]

Sorry Mike, I’m just an 'ole jock. Poetry to me is the clicking of the derailers, glutteral utterances as we stand to sprint, chuckling over the cacophonous wails and lamentations emanating from the vanquished foe. And then we celebrate with vino!

The purity, acidity and berry flavors on a CARLISLE Carlisle or CARLISLE Pagani are pretty amazing. Find these, try and then you will see.

[cheers.gif]

(there’s a Zin in that smiley face glass!)

I was thinking about this earlier after noticing how quickly my Zins go compared to other CA reds.
I think it’s a combination of QPR, early accessibility, and versatility with the types of foods that I eat.
Pasta? Need a $20-$30 red? Check. Pizza? Need a $10-$20 red? Check. BBQ, and want to splurge with a $50 bottle? Check.
I come from a family that is mainly into all things big and ripe, and the zins that I bring aren’t usually over the top, but even they will appreciate.

Edit: I should add that the bulk of my “Zinfandel” is more of a field blend, ala Ridge/Bedrock/Carlisle. My points remain the same

I don’t buy Zins from that many producers - in fact, I buy Zin only from Ridge. I buy it because it tastes good. Try Ridge Geyserville or Lytton Springs, esp. with age.

was at Ridge at Lytton Springs Friday, and among other things had the 2015 Geyserville. Beautifully balanced wine, likely will last forever. You will enjoy this one.

Tastes great.

I’m usually this terse and pithy. Except when it comes to Zinfandel!

I don’t always drink Zin, but when I do its Carlisle and Bedrock. Stay old vine my friends.

just throwing this out there:

plenty of quality Zinfandel coming out of Lake County and Lodi. warm climates to be sure, and not necessarily fruit-bombs in terms of style. and the QPR is hard to beat.

Coming from your palate, Howard, that speaks volume. My six-pack is in, was gonna pop one tonight but got derailed by a wine tasting event (now keep in mind, I tend not to like big wine tastings, and this one was Chuckles Wagner - ah, the humanity, what we do for the loves of our lives, no?)

+1 to everyone who said accessible early, versatility, and QPR. Zin is probably my favorite variety.