2007 Andrew Will Ciel du Cheval

Medium deep crimson color. Plummy aromas also offer big hints of sage and other spices, nicely balanced with fine intensity. The palate is excellent, with a lovely ripe texture that stops just short of opulence, a firm mid-palate and very fine-grained tannins. The fruits are complex, more red with lots of plums but also both red and black cherry notes. The spices are there in the background, mostly sage but a greener hint of thyme. The finish is moderately long. The whole is very well balanced and integrated. This is a pleasure right now. My first bottle of this wine, its maturity is a pleasant change from some Washington Cabernet Sauvignon based wines that seem to need much more extended ageing. Rated 93, up to a point of improvement possible over the next five years. I have three more bottles and will wait a year before the next.

Dan Kravitz

Thanks for the note. I find the Ciel du Cheval wines of Andrew Will to be the best of the lineup. Maybe it is the merlot as I am not a fan of cabernet franc. More to my liking than the Sorella. A distinctive wine.

I had the 2007 Champoux late last year and absolutely loved it. AW’s wines are so distinctive, savory yet full but never slutty. Killer stuff.

Ciel du Cheval is my favorite WA vineyard, and having Andrew Will behind the wheel is almost a gurantee of a great wine - provided its had a few years to come together as clearly was the case here. Thanks for the note Dan.