TNs: 1980 BV PR and 1996 Pahlmeyer Merlot

Tasted on 7/15 with a small group of wine geeks. The BV was from my cellar.
1980 Beaulieu Vineyards Georges de Latour Private Reserve
IMHO, the last in a string of great vintages (1968 - 1980) under the influence of the old regime before corporate changes and the sale of vineyards resulted in a major decline in this marque.
1980 was not a particularly inspiring Napa vintage but somehow BV managed to nail it. The wine’s appearance remains quite youthful and the classic BV aromas (which made it relatively easy to identify in blind tastings) jump from the glass. Mature on the palate with a supple texture and excellent depth, it reveals complexity, ripe fruit, great balance, and a lengthy finish. It should continue to drink well for at least another 6-8 years. My score 94 points
1996 Pahlmeyer Merlot
This vintage was made by Helen Turley. 21 years out, the 1996 Pahlmeyer Merlot is dark ruby/purple in color with an expressive nose of toast and black fruits. Firm on the palate with layered fruit and complexity, this smooth textured wine has impeccable balance and a long, ripe, pure finish. It is about as good as Napa Merlot gets. It should remain in fine form for another 10-12 years. My score 96 points

Yes, love that note on the BV! Birth-year wine and I’m always looking for bottles that still show well. I know it wasn’t a stellar year (well…wine-wise at least :slight_smile: , but I’ve had really good luck with cabs from the vintage, even more obscure/middle of the road producers.

I had the '94 Pahlmeyer Merlot recently. It was aging very well, and excellent in its flashy, extrovert style - similar to your description of the '96. It made me wonder whether, now that the dust has settled, Helen’s Pahlmeyer Merlots have developed the best all the red wines she produced during her career.

I think so. The 94, 5, 6 were fantastic. The 1997 was, but the 94 is drinking better now. Those are the only ones I have - wasn’t a fan of the later ones.

Not many shippers declared it, but the 80 Taylor Vintage Port is lovely, and drinking well today. I’m almost done with a case of it and they have been enjoyable. Needs decanting though.

Great to see the note on the 80 BV. I always liked this wine a lot but finished mine several years ago. Great to see it is still going strong.

Talking about sleeper vintages, 1980 was excellent in the Cotes de Nuit. I bought a mixed case of DRC (but no Romanee Conti included) for $800. The wine was so incredibly tasty that I drank them all within a couple of years. Later, maybe 15 years or so, I found a bottle of the Grands Echezeaux on the list at Bern’s and it was every bit as good as I remembered it.
DoctorJay

Bought a 1980 DRC Grands Echezeaux for $35 on release. It was fabulous. 1980 taught me not to ignore vintages like 2000, 2001 and 2007.

Thanks! I love hearing that, as i just scooped up an 80 Dow’s and an 80 Grahams. Not hugely experienced with Port but I’m hoping they drink well. Have to keep my eyes peeled for Taylor as well.

For my money her Cabs from this era are every bit as good.

Tom