2005 clos st jean cdp

This wine sucks. Not surprised based on the other wines I have had from this producer. Overripe, touch of cloying RS, no evolution, no backbone, just muddled jam. Oh well. At least It was only $25 or whatever.

Try the 2007! It is even more sucky.

I passed all of my 07s off to my daughter’s boyfriend. [whistle.gif]

Ah, he’s a sushi lover.

Wait, 94 points Robert Parker, “The sensational 2007 Châteauneuf du Pape is a wine…one of the best value buys in my cellar. big, rich, full-bodied Chateauneuf du Pape that has sweet tannin and no hard edges. It’s drinking great today but has at least another 5-6 years of prime drinking. 2017” [scratch.gif]

That’s actually a note from Jeb

[rofl.gif]

but I didn’t buy any “en magnum”

I live in Seattle. Happy to take anymore you have off your hands. In exchange you will get found space in the wine cellar.

Tom

Thankfully my only bottle, but do have a few 2006… so maybe

Well, its still under the Wine Advocate…and sounds like a Parker’s 98 [cheers.gif]

I agree the 07 is so horrible…vodka blackberry/pomegranate is a cheaper and a better substitute. One of those mistakes I made collecting as a young wine enthusiast. Just blindly following big ratings by “prominent wine critics”, taught me well…

Why don’t you stop drinking wines that you know you will not like?

Is this a Phillipe Cambie wine? I don’t think I’ve ever tried this producer.

Yes, it is. They make five different cuvees. Base, VV, La Combe des Fous, Deus ex Machina, and So F’in rare I’ve never even seen it and it costs an arm and a leg (Sanctus Santorum). There is also a white. I have tried all except the Sanctus Santorum. I like them. but if you think that M. Cambie is the spawn of the devil who was put on earth solely to ruin what is good and holy in the sacred land of the Avignon Popes, then you should try something else because you will not enjoy these wine.

Close Saint Jean is an easy target on this board. Variations of this same thread happen every other month or so.

Tom

Yes. I know. I have had the wines with M. Cambie twice and I think they are outstanding. I have also poured them for real people a few times and they tend to love them.

That sounds very complicated. I just usually pick the prettiest label.

+1

[cheers.gif]

The usual nonsense once again.

Jay (and a few other participants in this thread) has it right though.

The style of the wine is modern (for CdP), but not “pruny and vodka-like”, something which one can be ascertained of by tasting these wines at the Domaine.

The friendly and accomodating brothers Vincent and Pascal Maurel, would not like their wines - of which they’re rightly proud - to get such ridiculous labels plastered on top of the neat, original ones.

Does it begin to dawn upon you?

The bottle you taste, and which does not, I repeat not exactly match the impression of the same wine tasted at the Domaine, is heat damaged.

Do you recall the bloke who went on a crusade against Argentine steak?

You see, he once bought a rotten steak, accidentally buried in between the fresh ones in the supermarket. He didn’t have a very good sense a smell (perhaps he’d been reading too many stinking threads on WB similar to this one?), so he grilled, and ate the damned thing.

After having vomited half his guts out of his smelly insides, he went on and on and on and on and on and on about how the entire world population of Argentine cows were in fact rotten while still alive!
His killer evidence?
He’d himself seen flies gather round them while they were grazing on the pampas…

Peter [cheers.gif]

More on the heat damage issue.
I have copied the following from a post I wrote on another wine board, answering someone who asked why he had encountered two different editions of Clos des Papes 2003. One was marvellous, the other undrinkable.

"It happens all the time in all vintages (but is more noted in great vintages, such as 2007 when the agony of “betrayal” is the more painful), and is one of the major factors in turning people away from this terrific region.

It’s a kind of denial when people who’ve bought and stored these wines realise that they’re pruny and alcoholic, but won’t accept that they’ve been incubating rotten eggs, so to speak.

So they blame the wine, the producers and Robert Parker*, instead of finding out if perfectly stored and transported bottles share the same characteristics.

Which they usually don’t.

Grenache is one of the most fragile and oxidative of all the important grape varietals, so in an ideal world it should be transported and stored under temperature controlled conditions AT ALL TIMES.

*because he happens to like pristine wines from this marvellous region. Logical?"

Peter