Sub $20 readily available summer whites

As we head in the peak of July and August, I tend to look for some cold Sauv Blanc or beer. Beer, I am confident in what is good and what I like, but Sauvignon Blanc is still a completely mystery to me.

When I want something cold, refreshing and still tasty I tend to just settle for some Oyster Bay for around $12. What are the cheap summer whites that are easy to find that I am missing out on?

Muscadet. One of the few wines that I am comfortable with buying when I don’t know the producer. While some are better than others, I don’t think I have really had a bad one. Many in the $12 range and all are great summer sippers and with fish.

Also whites from Campania. Greco di Tufo, Falanghina, or Fiano.

Thanks! I’ll check some out. I’ve tried a few sub 20 Albarinos and also found them to be quite enjoyable.

Pewsey Vale Riesling, bone dry from Oz. Good availability in NJ at about $13.

Came here to say this. Musacadet, all day. Pépière is my go to and the better cuvées are available for a relatively modest upcharge. They can age well, too.

Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier. Available practically everywhere and at $12-13 a total steal every year.

Honestly, I enjoyed the Oyster Bay Sauv Blanc when I tasted it years ago. In fact, the Merlot was rather nice, too!

I still struggle with spending more money for a white wine than a red. The selection of decent, affordable whites appears downright massive in comparison to palatable beverages of a darker tint.

If no one else has mentioned it yet, the Spanish white grape varieties - whether grown and vinified in Spain or California - are pretty phenomenal. Albariño and Verdejo are my top choices, yet Viura, Xarel-lo, Loureira, etc, are also great for the summer.

I agree with suggestions for Muscadet, and toss in Picpoul, as inexpensive French whites (probably not <$20/btl for American interpretations) that deserve consideration. Chenin Blanc and Semillon wines are more likely to fit your price point, whether from the Old World or New.

My number one suggestion is to search for American white blends, as they don’t cost as much as varietally-bottled whites seem to and often are very well made.

I am just going off the top of my head here on some recommendations, keeping the price as close to the $20 or less mark:

Montsarra Cava Brut (sparkling)
Matetic “EQ Coastal” Casablanca Sauvignon Blanc
Concha y Toro “Terrunyo” Casablanca Sauvignon Blanc
The I.E. Wine Company Sonoma Valley Picpoul
Onward/Farmstrong California White Blend (Grenache Blanc/Albariño/Verdelho)
Keep Wines California “Blanc Blend” (Picpoul/Grenache Blanc)
Teutonic “Foiled Cucumber” Willamette Valley Gewürztraminer
Dirty & Rowdy California Familiar Blanc
L’Ecole 41 Columbia Valley Chenin Blanc
L’Ecole 41 Columbia Valley Semillon

… I am now losing my train of thought. Good luck!!!

This and La Vielle Ferme are my two bargain basement go-to whites

This! A thousand times this!

Assyrtiko, Moschofilero, Gavi.

I like the Atlantis white blend from Argyros, and the Lantides Moschofilero. Additionally, you could look at Sancerre.

Lots of good wines in this category. I too like Muscadet, and then Assyrtiko if I want something with more weight.

Also plenty of good chablis can be found for around $20. Still some available from the excellent 2014 vintage. I also drink quite a bit of bourgogne aligote in the summer.

For something slightly effervesent and low alcohol and extremely quaffable, my go to is Txakolina. Ameztoi is a reliable label but i don’t know what you might have available in your area.

I’ve always liked wines from Tensley and they just sent out an e-mail announcing a value priced ($18 or $15.30 club) white and red for sale. They both sound good and based on Tensley’s track record with my palate, I’m going to get some of both to try.

“Singing” Gruner Veltliner at Costco. A little RS and spritz but refreshing and tasty at a good price IMO.

I have been drinking the 2015 and 2016 Tablas Creek Patelin de Tablas Blanc for under $20. Really a nice sunny afternoon on the deck wine.

This is when a good LWS will shine. They should be able to produce a great case of mixed whites for summer sipping under the $20 pb target. It’s what I usually do. That way you’re getting introduced to a bunch of variety.

You can find good Sancerre for under $20.

Never really tried any of these. My exposure to italian whites have been a few Gavis and… Santa Margherita

Henry Pelle Menetou Salon Morogues and Wind Gap Trousseau Gris.

Would love some more Tablas, but we really don’t get much of it around here.