US Pinots similar in style and quality to Rhys

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jens Bordasch

#1 Post by Jens Bordasch » July 11th, 2017, 4:54 am

My favorite wines are white and red burgundy, I really love the style of these wines. I never had a pinot from the US that really impressed me because all of them have been to much "new world" style for me...until I've tasted some 2013 and 2014 Rhys Pinot Noir. Even though they are young you can clearly see the potential here and I really like these wines.

I've bought now what I could get from 2013 and 2014 but I was wondering if you guys can recommend a US pinot noir which is similar to Rhys in style and quality?

Thanks much,
Jens
Cheers,
Jens

Photo: 1899 Yquem

chris newport

#2 Post by chris newport » July 11th, 2017, 6:34 am

Anthill Farms
Arcadian
Samsara
Chris Newport

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by RyanC » July 11th, 2017, 6:49 am

Kutch. Not the identical style, but a similar impression. Excellent Chard too.
C@ughey

Brandon R

#4 Post by Brandon R » July 11th, 2017, 7:20 am

I've only ever had one or two Rhys, so this is more of a question. Would the more experienced here think Goodfellow PN are similar? I could see a similarity in some ways and would think a Burgundy lover would really like Marcus' Pinots a lot.
B. Redman

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by T. Altmayer » July 11th, 2017, 7:27 am

Windy Oaks is an excellent Pinot from the same region. It seems to be a more feminine style compared to Rhys, but if you want something restrained, they make some great Pinots.
Tom

Corey N.

#6 Post by Corey N. » July 11th, 2017, 7:30 am

Brandon R wrote:I've only ever had one or two Rhys, so this is more of a question. Would the more experienced here think Goodfellow PN are similar? I could see a similarity in some ways and would think a Burgundy lover would really like Marcus' Pinots a lot.
Having had a fair amount of both wines, I don't think that they are all that similar. To me Rhys speaks of CA (in a very well-made and not spoofy way) and Goodfellow speaks of Oregon. I sometimes get a candied aspect to Rhys PNs that I've never experienced with any of Marcus' wines (Goodfellow/Matello). Very generally speaking (because they both make wine from various vineyards), I find Marcus' wines to be leaner, more red-fruited and higher in acid. YMMV.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Alan Rath » July 11th, 2017, 8:11 am

Copain and Ceritas are the two producers that appeal most to my Burg palate (in addition to Rhys).
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Jay Miller » July 11th, 2017, 8:18 am

Hmm, maybe Mount Eden? Certainly similar in quality (and a long time favorite of mine) though the style is somewhat different.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Mike S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mike S. » July 11th, 2017, 8:39 am

Kutch, Arcadian, ome Hirsch.
Last edited by Mike S. on July 11th, 2017, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Silverman

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by Jim Anderson » July 11th, 2017, 8:45 am

Brandon R wrote:I've only ever had one or two Rhys, so this is more of a question. Would the more experienced here think Goodfellow PN are similar? I could see a similarity in some ways and would think a Burgundy lover would really like Marcus' Pinots a lot.
No.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Jim Cowan

#11 Post by Jim Cowan » July 11th, 2017, 8:59 am

Domaine de la Cote.
Best, jim

Chris V.

#12 Post by Chris V. » July 11th, 2017, 9:11 am

Similar Style:
Mount Eden (incl Domain Eden)
Arcadian (some sites get a bit ripe to qualify)
Littorai (some sites get a bit ripe to qualify)
Domaine de la Cote
Williams Selyem (pre-1997)
Windy Oaks
Calera (Pre-2000)
Big Basin (Post-2010)

People on here will say are similar style, but I disagree:
Kutch
Copain
Hirsh
V a n d e r m a r e l

Subu Ramachandran

#13 Post by Subu Ramachandran » July 11th, 2017, 9:31 am

+1 on Domaine de a Cote...had a few bottles couple of months back. Reminded me of Angerville's Volnays.

I havnt had Rhys hence dont have a place holder...but I can vouch for Copain, Mount Eden and Jim Clendenen's wines, even though they arent Burgundian; the wines were fresh and balanced.

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by T. Altmayer » July 11th, 2017, 9:45 am

I tend to think of Rhys as less about being "Burgundian" and more about being "Balanced" (i.e. not an over-the-top California Pinot). There are more clearly more "restrained" pinots out there including Kutch, Copain, etc. What I like about their pinots is that they embrace being from California, but focus on ensuring that the wines are balanced and have a complexity that many California pinots do not seem to have.
Tom

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mel Knox » July 11th, 2017, 10:28 am

Jens, Where in the old world are you located?? Air freighting bottles from here to there might run a few Euros/Swiss Franks/Kroner...
Wines available in Europe you should look at include Calera, Au BonClimat, Eyrie, Mt eden and Saintsbury.
ITB

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Blake Brown » July 11th, 2017, 12:03 pm

As one stated above, Williams Selyem from 1997 and older are spectacular Pinots. Earlier this year a number of magnums were tasted in Burgundy with numerous local producers [and Alan Meadows, Raj Pear, Mel knox et al] at Becky Wasserman`s home and they were raved about across the board.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Frank Murray III » July 11th, 2017, 3:29 pm

While I enjoy and buy some of the suggestions that were already given to Jens, I am taking his post literal--meaning, what is similar in the US in style and quality to Rhys? Of note, I also buy and drink Rhys.

For me, going off of what I drink and feel confident to say, is KUTCH. Both wineries IMO dial back or use little new oak, they make wines in the same ABV range of 12-13.5% and they both use a good amount of whole cluster. While their fruit sources are different, in my view, they tend to emphasize red fruit flavors, with some blue, as well as a focus on acidity and balance.

The similarities of both RHYS and KUTCH to me are the best match I can offer.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge SC PN
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Platt SC PN
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Chris Seiber » July 11th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Although both are SCM, the layer of creamy oak in Windy Oaks makes it markedly different from Rhys in my opinion.

Anthill Farms is much softer, prettier, more feminine than Rhys.

Mount Eden's style is relatively heftier and darker than Rhys.

Kutch, Arcadian, Big Basin and Tyler seem more similar to me.

Sebastian C.

#19 Post by Sebastian C. » July 11th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Chris V. wrote:Similar Style:
Mount Eden (incl Domain Eden)
Arcadian (some sites get a bit ripe to qualify)
Littorai (some sites get a bit ripe to qualify)
Domaine de la Cote
Williams Selyem (pre-1997)
Windy Oaks
Calera (Pre-2000)
Big Basin (Post-2010)

People on here will say are similar style, but I disagree:
Kutch
Copain
Hirsh

Agree on both parts.
C0rr3@

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Mel Knox » July 11th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Dont forget Kutch went from lots of four year air dry to virtually no new oak.Jamie did this a while ago.

I think even the post Burt Wms Selyem wines age well, it's just that finding anything Burt did n t make that is over 30 years old could be quite difficult.
ITB

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Frank Murray III » July 11th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:Although both are SCM, the layer of creamy oak in Windy Oaks makes it markedly different from Rhys in my opinion.

Counselor, I considered putting Big Basin in my reply too, as I have experience with it but not enough recently. I plan to visit Bradley soon and taste with him, as I want to see where the journey for him is at currently. In sum, he was heading in a similar direction as KUTCH and RHYS's model in the recent wines I have tasted from BB.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Don Cornwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Don Cornwell » July 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Mel Knox wrote:Dont forget Kutch went from lots of four year air dry to virtually no new oak.Jamie did this a while ago.

I think even the post Burt Wms Selyem wines age well, it's just that finding anything Burt did n t make that is over 30 years old could be quite difficult.
I agree with Mel that the Kutch wines have undergone a transformation on the oak treatment.

I've been a Williams-Selyem buyer (from the winery) since the 1987 vintage. The Williams-Selyem pinots from 1998 to 2004 were definitely not up to same quality standard as the Burt Williams' wines, but from 2005 onward the wines were truly outstanding. Virtually every single vineyard wine produced from 2005 to 2010 is a definite counterpart for Rhys (sometimes the Westside Neighbors and Eastside Neighbors bottlings too). For reasons not clear, it took Bob Cabral a while to get it dialed in. Cabral left Williams-Selyem as winemaker a couple of years ago. I haven't tasted many of the bottles beyond 2010 yet.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=start

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by M. Dildine » July 11th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Copain and Littorai are in the ballpark.

I'm a fan of W-S Pinot, but I consider them to be somewhat bigger, riper in style.
Cheers,

Mike

Rama Roberts

#24 Post by Rama Roberts » July 11th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Some shocking suggestions here, Jens.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Alan Rath » July 11th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Don Cornwell wrote:For reasons not clear, it took Bob Cabral a while to get it dialed in. Cabral left Williams-Selyem as winemaker a couple of years ago. I haven't tasted many of the bottles beyond 2010 yet.
I was at the palatial winery for the first team this year, tasted a dozen or so wines, and I can say without hesitation that their current wines are nothing like Rhys. All were quite a bit riper than Rhys, and pretty typical Russian River Pinot.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Alan Rath » July 11th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Rama Roberts wrote:Some shocking suggestions here, Jens.
Gotta agree with this. Jens, if you're in the old world, why bother? I would kill to have access to a broader range of Burgundy at European prices, and never look back.

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Andrew Christiansen » July 11th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
Chris Seiber wrote:Although both are SCM, the layer of creamy oak in Windy Oaks makes it markedly different from Rhys in my opinion.

Counselor, I considered putting Big Basin in my reply too, as I have experience with it but not enough recently. I plan to visit Bradley soon and taste with him, as I want to see where the journey for him is at currently. In sum, he was heading in a similar direction as KUTCH and RHYS's model in the recent wines I have tasted from BB.
Gotta go with my neighbors here in mid SoCal...Kutch, Big Basin and Arcadian. Only had one Tyler and found it a bit more robust and although enjoyable, it was just outside my zone.

I would actually consider Big Basin as close as any, particularly as a neighboring SCM producer. I wouldn't be surprised if they age as well as some of their Rhys counterparts. I would bet Jamie's wines might be on a similar aging trajectory as the others, but they have a different flavor profile since they're from the Sonoma Coast rather than SCM or AV.

John Ammons

#28 Post by John Ammons » July 11th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Don Cornwell wrote:The Williams-Selyem pinots from 1998 to 2004 were definitely not up to same quality standard as the Burt Williams' wines, but from 2005 onward the wines were truly outstanding.
I think this is the first time I've seen this WS evolution put into this context publicly. And I completely agree. Some head scratching wines were made by Bob Cabral in the early years of his tenure. There were some good wines to be sure, but volatile and unpleasant efforts were not uncommon. And starting with a good across the board line up of '05s, that seemed to change. As to the most recent wines, I had a '14 Ferrington last month that was excellent.

Keith Levenberg

#29 Post by Keith Levenberg » July 11th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Mount Eden and Varner (or whatever they're calling it now) are other Santa Cruz pinots that'll please Old World palates, but Rhys is the best.

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#30 Post by Eric Lundblad » July 11th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Some good suggestions here.

Clos Saron is another worth considering (and is available in Europe, or at least in the UK, so I assume in Europe). The need lots of air time to show well, but interesting/compelling Pinots with a savory dominant profile.

Also, note that the Varner's aren't making wine from their Santa Cruz Spring Ridge vineyard anymore. Unfortunately, the Neely's pushed them out in a somewhat underhanded way. They are making some excellent wines from down south tho that are well worth checking out.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Brian Gilp

#31 Post by Brian Gilp » July 12th, 2017, 4:06 am

I find this fascinating. I have never had a Rhys so have no basis for comparison to their wine. However, in reading through the suggestions I have tried at least nine of the suggestions. Assuming they all are similar in style and quality to Rhys, I would assume that I could consider them similar to each other as well. But for the wines I have tried that is not the case. Which of course leads to the question that if two wines are similar to a third wine (Rhys) should I expect those two wines to be similar to each other? Intuitively, I would think yes but maybe its more like spokes of a wheel where they are more closely related to the wine in the center than they are to each other.

Jens Bordasch

#32 Post by Jens Bordasch » July 12th, 2017, 6:18 am

First of all, thanks to all of you for your recommendations. Indeed, I'm surprised to read some suggestions. I've tried some of the wines listed here but imho they don't even come close to the Rhys PNs. Especially for Williams-Selyem (tasted at least 10 wines from 2006 and up) I cannot see any comparison with Rhys as W-S is (at least imho) THE archetypal US pinot noir...nice wines, though.

The W-S I've tasted are big, bold fruit-driven wines and you can smell from 1m distance that this is new world PN.

Tasted Arcadian as well but with similar impressions.

@ Mel: I'm based in Germany. No Rhys here but I've sourced some in Switzerland and the UK...I'm not too worried about shipping costs...also the Rhys wines are more expensive here than in the US.

@ Rama: what are the "most shocking" ones for you? ;-)

@ Alan: well, it took me decades to develop a distinct love for red Burgundy wines (the white Burgs have always been my favorite from day 1) and you need a good level of experience to understand and appreciate these wines. I do have a good amount of wine friends and we do wine dinners quite often...but we also have a lot of "normal" guests at home so I'm looking for some wines which I can still enjoy at dinner...but also my non-experienced guests. You cannot open a Chambolle-Musigny at a "non-wine-dinner"...and not even village-level wines because most (if not all) non-experienced guests cannot enjoy these wines. But I'm not willing to open a charming-easy-to-enjoy-Shiraz because I cannot enjoy these. Therefore I'm looking for the best compromise here...and I found Rhys to be a very solid one.
Cheers,
Jens

Jens Bordasch

#33 Post by Jens Bordasch » July 12th, 2017, 9:14 am

ok, it looks like I can get easily here:

Domaine de la Cote
Mount Eden
Eyrie
Littorai
Kutch
Hirsch

Will get some and make a tasting start with these. I'll come back with my impressions.
Cheers,
Jens

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Alan Rath » July 12th, 2017, 10:51 am

Jens, OK, I understand your goal a little better. I confess that it's a little surprising that you and your guests have found Rhys to fit the "easy drinking" and "easy to understand" style, as I have always found them to need age, and to be some of the more complex and more "difficult" California wines to understand (and I buy and cellar them for that reason).

I routinely enjoy nice village level red Burgs, and lower 1er Cru. Those are generally quite a bit cheaper where you are (or at least available elsewhere in Europe). I would have thought that getting your hands on Rhys would be quite a bit more expensive than wines of similar quality where you are. But if you've found Rhys to be a good solution, stick with it! [cheers.gif]

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by R. Frankel » July 12th, 2017, 11:44 am

Alan Rath wrote:Jens, OK, I understand your goal a little better. I confess that it's a little surprising that you and your guests have found Rhys to fit the "easy drinking" and "easy to understand" style, as I have always found them to need age, and to be some of the more complex and more "difficult" California wines to understand (and I buy and cellar them for that reason).
My experience is very similar to Alan's, and like him drink both CA & Burgundy Pinot.

So I'm curious - which red burgs do you find harder for guests to enjoy?
Rich Frankel

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Sean_S » July 12th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:I plan to visit Bradley soon and taste with him, as I want to see where the journey for him is at currently. In sum, he was heading in a similar direction as KUTCH and RHYS's model in the recent wines I have tasted from BB.
Highly recommended. Their trend is strongly continuing toward using more whole cluster, less new oak and picking earlier..... you can taste the evolution from year to year for sure. His 14 wines are my favorite Big Basin wines so far...... Looking forward to tasting the 15 pinots...
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Chris Seiber » July 12th, 2017, 2:06 pm

I have to admit, this notion of Burgundy being for the sophisticates, and pulling out the Rhys and Kutch for the plebeian company who can't appreciate Burgundy, somehow it feels kind of like it belongs in this thread:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 1&t=138729

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Mel Knox » July 12th, 2017, 7:00 pm

The thing about Rhys is that it is really one of a kind...vineyard approach and location, attempt to make wines under 13 degrees, whole cluster, barrel regimen.

Personally I see it as an intellectual's wine, something I keep for myself and my fellow pseudo intellectuals, rather than something I would open for normal people.

The Burgundy approximation I see is de Montille.
ITB

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Glen Gold » July 12th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Thanks to this thread, I bought my first bottle of Rhys. I'll let you all know if I understand it or not.

stevetimko

#40 Post by stevetimko » July 12th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Cronin, although the last vintage was 2000.
Illegitimati non carborundum

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Frank Murray III » July 12th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Glen Gold wrote:Thanks to this thread, I bought my first bottle of Rhys. I'll let you all know if I understand it or not.
Glen, which one are you going to drink? You have my curiosity.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Joe S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Joe S. » July 12th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Sean_S wrote:
Frank Murray III wrote:I plan to visit Bradley soon and taste with him, as I want to see where the journey for him is at currently. In sum, he was heading in a similar direction as KUTCH and RHYS's model in the recent wines I have tasted from BB.
Highly recommended. Their trend is strongly continuing toward using more whole cluster, less new oak and picking earlier..... you can taste the evolution from year to year for sure. His 14 wines are my favorite Big Basin wines so far...... Looking forward to tasting the 15 pinots...
I will need to pop a few of Bradley's recent vintages as I have not yet witnessed this transition. Don't get me wrong - I like the BB wines, but the pinots I have had are still a bit forward. The last Woodruff I had was certainly over the top (not sure where Woodruff vineyard is) - I like the Alfaro much more.
-- J. 'eS-eye-dee-dee-ay-eL-eL-
BornToRhone (CT)

Jeff Filippi

#43 Post by Jeff Filippi » July 12th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Besides some of the ones mentioned (like Kutch), I would add pre-2004 Dehlinger.

Jens Bordasch

#44 Post by Jens Bordasch » July 13th, 2017, 7:37 am

@ Alan, Rich: you may have misunderstood my last post. Non of my guests have experienced any Rhys yet so they were not able to appreciate it so far ;-) This is just my therory as I'm looking for some top wines that can be enjoyed by Non-Wineberserkers AND me at the same time ;-) But so far it's only me having tasted Rhys and not my guests. And of course, I normally only serve aged wines, no matter if from Burgundy or any other part of the world. I'm not looking for an early access wine but an "easier" to access top pinot.

And -at least for me- there is a clear difference between an pinot from Burgundy and one from the US, no matter if CA or OR. The fruit presentation in US PNs is broader whereas in Burgundy PNs the fruit presentation is more focussed. Also, the structure hiding the fruit (in younger wines) is tighter in Burgundy PNs and more "open-knit" in US PNs. Also the tannins are mostly softer/rounder in US PNs compared to Burgundy. All this -and again thats just my impression- makes a US PN (even a Rhys) more understandable and accessible for an unexperienced guest. And sure, Rhys is more expensive here but I'm not talking about costs...I'm generous enough to offer all my guests a fine Romanée St Vivant...but if they cannot appreciate it (and again: I myself was not able to really get those wine for a very long time!) it's worth nothing.

@ Chris: If you think this thread qualifies for "The most annoying posts about Burgundy" (?) then you may haven't got the message...or maybe you have...I don't care.
Cheers,
Jens

Paul H Galli

#45 Post by Paul H Galli » July 13th, 2017, 9:35 am

My four favorite CA Pinot Producers are Rhys, Arcadian, Ceritas and Kendric.
I find all of them unique and distinctive from one another.
But they all have something wonderful to offer.

Again, until Rhys and Ceritas have more bottle age to them to show their true potential,
I have to go with Arcadian as the CA Pinot that ages best, with secondary and tertiary flavors galore.
Kendric is a shorter term type of wine (but decidedly yummy).
But the jury is still out....

TTT
Opinot, not Oporto...

Anthony Lombardi

#46 Post by Anthony Lombardi » July 13th, 2017, 10:05 am

Jens-

I think that Rhys seeks to make wines which express the vineyard sites and is what most quality winemakers from most regions and countries strive for rather than trying to produce a certain "style". If your palate skews old world for Pinot Noir, I would recommend:

The Eyrie Vineyards
Cristom
Cameron
Beckham
Franchere
Littorai
Hirsch
Holden
Bow & Arrow
Walter Scott
Big Table Farm

I also think that "American" Pinot is about as useless a generalization as "French" Pinot. I don't know if any of the wines listed above or in this thread are readily available, but pretty much everything recommended is worth seeking out. Anyone could get mass produced examples of overblown or watered down Pinot Noir or any wine for that matter from anywhere in the world and make shaky generalizations.

Hope you find the wines you're looking for.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Wes Barton » July 13th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Joe S. wrote:
Sean_S wrote:
I will need to pop a few of Bradley's recent vintages as I have not yet witnessed this transition. Don't get me wrong - I like the BB wines, but the pinots I have had are still a bit forward. The last Woodruff I had was certainly over the top (not sure where Woodruff vineyard is) - I like the Alfaro much more.
Woodruff is near Windy Oaks. I haven't kept up with Bradley's wines, but the ones I've had from there were excellent. Wind Gap and Ghostwriter also source from there. Excellent site.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Alan Rath » July 13th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Jens Bordasch wrote:I'm not looking for an early access wine but an "easier" to access top pinot.
I'm generous enough to offer all my guests a fine Romanée St Vivant.
Jens,
OK, we can try to help. You have a number of recommendations here, and have clarified the kinds of wines you're looking for. The wines in the list you said you have access to are all worth trying, to see if they fit your criteria. I can only give you advice based on my own experience, which is that the majority of California Pinots (even some on that list) are a little too far from what I'm looking for given my Burg palate. The one producer I already mentioned (Ceritas) probably isn't available in Europe, and is only available here through direct purchase from the winery. I think the Kutch wines are worthy of trying. Littorai makes excellent wines, though my own opinion is that they are a little bigger and more mainstream than most people like to think. Copain is the second producer I mentioned that I think fits your goals. I don't know if they have any presence in Europe.

Another thought is that I'm happy to bring over some California wines, in return for being served a fine RsV ;)

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#49 Post by Eric Lundblad » July 13th, 2017, 11:02 pm

I disagree with you about Littorai Alan. At least their relatively recent vintages have been generally stayed in the mid 12% to low 13% range (for example, Littorai's Mays Canyon PN and Ceritas' Porter Bass PN 2014s, same vineyard unless I'm mistaken, are a nearly identical high 12%). Not that low alcohol is balance, of course, but...

I would have/do agree with you that many of Littorai's vintages in the 2000s were more ripe than their reputation indicated. During that same time, Rhys' wines were quite structured. It's my opinion that they've both moved to a similar zone of overall balance and approachability/ageability, tho it's expressed differently...for example, Rhys still uses much more whole cluster than Littorai does.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Jens Bordasch

#50 Post by Jens Bordasch » July 14th, 2017, 2:14 am

Again, thank you all for the great recommendations...I've ordered most wines now and will hopefully come back soon with my impressions.

@ Anthony: you are absolutely right, those generalizations are somewhat useless but given the core idea of this thread I thought I should not go too deep into this...this would be for sure worth another thread and I'm also sure there are many already ;-)

@ Alan: Always welcome Sir ;-)
Cheers,
Jens

Return to “Wine Talk”