US Pinots similar in style and quality to Rhys

My favorite wines are white and red burgundy, I really love the style of these wines. I never had a pinot from the US that really impressed me because all of them have been to much “new world” style for me…until I’ve tasted some 2013 and 2014 Rhys Pinot Noir. Even though they are young you can clearly see the potential here and I really like these wines.

I’ve bought now what I could get from 2013 and 2014 but I was wondering if you guys can recommend a US pinot noir which is similar to Rhys in style and quality?

Thanks much,
Jens

2 Likes

Anthill Farms
Arcadian
Samsara

1 Like

Kutch. Not the identical style, but a similar impression. Excellent Chard too.

I’ve only ever had one or two Rhys, so this is more of a question. Would the more experienced here think Goodfellow PN are similar? I could see a similarity in some ways and would think a Burgundy lover would really like Marcus’ Pinots a lot.

2 Likes

Windy Oaks is an excellent Pinot from the same region. It seems to be a more feminine style compared to Rhys, but if you want something restrained, they make some great Pinots.

Having had a fair amount of both wines, I don’t think that they are all that similar. To me Rhys speaks of CA (in a very well-made and not spoofy way) and Goodfellow speaks of Oregon. I sometimes get a candied aspect to Rhys PNs that I’ve never experienced with any of Marcus’ wines (Goodfellow/Matello). Very generally speaking (because they both make wine from various vineyards), I find Marcus’ wines to be leaner, more red-fruited and higher in acid. YMMV.

Copain and Ceritas are the two producers that appeal most to my Burg palate (in addition to Rhys).

Hmm, maybe Mount Eden? Certainly similar in quality (and a long time favorite of mine) though the style is somewhat different.

Kutch, Arcadian, ome Hirsch.

No.

Domaine de la Cote.
Best, jim

1 Like

Similar Style:
Mount Eden (incl Domain Eden)
Arcadian (some sites get a bit ripe to qualify)
Littorai (some sites get a bit ripe to qualify)
Domaine de la Cote
Williams Selyem (pre-1997)
Windy Oaks
Calera (Pre-2000)
Big Basin (Post-2010)

People on here will say are similar style, but I disagree:
Kutch
Copain
Hirsh

1 Like

+1 on Domaine de a Cote…had a few bottles couple of months back. Reminded me of Angerville’s Volnays.

I havnt had Rhys hence dont have a place holder…but I can vouch for Copain, Mount Eden and Jim Clendenen’s wines, even though they arent Burgundian; the wines were fresh and balanced.

1 Like

I tend to think of Rhys as less about being “Burgundian” and more about being “Balanced” (i.e. not an over-the-top California Pinot). There are more clearly more “restrained” pinots out there including Kutch, Copain, etc. What I like about their pinots is that they embrace being from California, but focus on ensuring that the wines are balanced and have a complexity that many California pinots do not seem to have.

Jens, Where in the old world are you located?? Air freighting bottles from here to there might run a few Euros/Swiss Franks/Kroner…
Wines available in Europe you should look at include Calera, Au BonClimat, Eyrie, Mt eden and Saintsbury.

As one stated above, Williams Selyem from 1997 and older are spectacular Pinots. Earlier this year a number of magnums were tasted in Burgundy with numerous local producers [and Alan Meadows, Raj Pear, Mel knox et al] at Becky Wasserman`s home and they were raved about across the board.

1 Like

While I enjoy and buy some of the suggestions that were already given to Jens, I am taking his post literal–meaning, what is similar in the US in style and quality to Rhys? Of note, I also buy and drink Rhys.

For me, going off of what I drink and feel confident to say, is KUTCH. Both wineries IMO dial back or use little new oak, they make wines in the same ABV range of 12-13.5% and they both use a good amount of whole cluster. While their fruit sources are different, in my view, they tend to emphasize red fruit flavors, with some blue, as well as a focus on acidity and balance.

The similarities of both RHYS and KUTCH to me are the best match I can offer.

1 Like

Although both are SCM, the layer of creamy oak in Windy Oaks makes it markedly different from Rhys in my opinion.

Anthill Farms is much softer, prettier, more feminine than Rhys.

Mount Eden’s style is relatively heftier and darker than Rhys.

Kutch, Arcadian, Big Basin and Tyler seem more similar to me.

1 Like

Agree on both parts.

Dont forget Kutch went from lots of four year air dry to virtually no new oak.Jamie did this a while ago.

I think even the post Burt Wms Selyem wines age well, it’s just that finding anything Burt did n t make that is over 30 years old could be quite difficult.