Greatest Living Monte Bello

I love Greatest Living Ballplayer discussions; in my mind, it’s clearly Willie now with Hank ready to ascend but when Hammer passes the debate gets very lively indeed. I think I am a Bench guy, not sure pitchers should qualify.

In that same vein I began thinking about the Greatest Living Ridge Monte Bello. I mean today: July 9th, 2017. For ages, it was the 1968. I think the 1978 wore the crown for awhile. Nowadays consensus says it’s the 1991, has been this way for a very long time. Has the 1991 given up the throne? There is bottle variability and the inevitable counterfeits encountered now and I think I am in the camp of the 1996 as the Greatest Living Monte Bello today. One day the 2001 will reign, then maybe the 2010?

Killer asteroid breaches the ionosphere I think I pull a 1996 out of my cellar. What say ye?

The '13 could take the mantle. I think the '02 is a “sleeper.”

Love 1984, 1985, 1991, 1993, 1996 and 1999, among others. I think the 2011 is going to be fabulous.

You just chose six for the title. That’s cheating. :slight_smile:

I pick 1991. But haven’t had the 78.

Right now I think the 91 might be the one but I have to agree with Mike that the 13 could smoke all the others in the future.

Sadaharu Oh … :slight_smile:

having done a couple of verticals, I found the 1968 to be the best.

The '78 was killer, but is now long gone from my cellar. '85 was also the bomb, but the last one went down a couple on years ago. So my vote goes to the '91. I’ll be pulling a '96 soon too, but I don’t think it’s there yet. I agree that the '13 will probably hold the title in another 10-15 years.

I can’t believe nobody mentioned the '74!

Dang, I would venture the 1974.

They are all gone now, so no fresh updates.

I have a '74 Monte Bello merlot as the last of its vintage.

LOL!

Posted as I was typing!

1992 is no slouch.

The 1968 is the oldest Monte Bello I have tried and was fabulous. I believe this is the last vintage that Dave Bennion made. The 1984, 1985 and 1991 are all favorites.

Huge fan of the '74, but I could be biased as it is Jonathan’s birth year. I prefer it to the '78 and find it on par with the '68, which I have only had once and which might not have had perfect storage. The 2011 is the last vintage we bought, so I’m hoping it’s as good as its early promise!

Right now, I am sticking with 91. I’ve had a number of verticals and in checking my notes, which I don’t take as well as I should anymore, the 84 was one of my favorites, the 87 a sleeper and I also liked the 71 more than the 68 at the same tasting in 01.

JD

The problem here is that I haven’t had some of those older vintages in over 15 years so I have no idea of how they are drinking now. I think it’s even been nearly 10 years since i’ve had a 1991.

I guess I should recuse myself from this thread :slight_smile:

Like Sarah, I have only had the 68 once and it wasn’t a great bottle. I actually had to be reminded that I was given a glass once, that’s how little impact it made upon me. A shame.

I have not stopped buying MB, when I do it will probably be the end of buying all wine for me.

The 1968 is still superb. I had a great bottle in February.

The 1974 has to be a contender.

To me, the 1991 is still on the young side, and while the wine is lovely it is a bit more marked by its oak than some other top vintages.

The last decade produced a number of superb vintages, some of which are beginning to show what they’re about. The 2005 has really started to shine, for example.

Fully agree with what others have said on the potential of the 2013. Having followed it from barrel to bottle, I am convinced it has the x-factor. I was very happy to give it a three-digit score in Decanter.

Had the '68 a month ago, and it’s still doing great. I think if you poured that next to the '91, you’d get opinions each way. Quite different, both excellent.

Fran Bennion recently told us she still thinks the '59 was the best ever. Pre-commercial, and much gifted to friends who made wine coolers with it.

I had most of the '60s vintages last year, including vintage blends. Other than the '68, they were in decline. The '62 was vinegar, but still smelled absolutely amazing, like vinegar a chef might happily paid a thousand bucks for, so a good bottle of that might still be a contender.

I had a 1980 about a year ago that was smoking good…not a stellar year, but blind I could have been sold that it was Lafite or another stellar Bordeaux. I’ve got one bottle of that left in the cellar. I haven’t had many older vintages of Montebello…but I’m happy to take a stab at the '96 or any other year…but given where the '80 was at…wouldn’t that still be a bit young?