Galloni on CBS was a roll out for a subscription Delectable.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Brian Tuite » July 7th, 2017, 8:45 pm

As of today Delectable now sports ads between user submissions and also pop ups when you attempt to add a wine. Next they will say, "Want to lose the ads, spend $x/mo."

Antonio didn't mention that in his interview, only that for $5.99/mo you can get Vinous scores on Delectable wines as well. So now even if you didn't want them you will need to pay for them in order to keep the user interface ad free and enjoyable? Users built that app and made it what it is. Congratulations, here's your bill.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Eric LaMasters

#2 Post by Eric LaMasters » July 7th, 2017, 9:13 pm

$6 a month is not that big of a deal to me, especially for the daily enjoyment I get from the app. I've met a lot of great people through Delectable.

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#3 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » July 8th, 2017, 3:47 am

$72 per year seems steep - is this in addition to the Vinous subscription?

My Print Edition Subscription to The Washington Post is $14.99 per month and it comes with daily content, all sorts of apps, reviews etc. just as a reference point.

Digital only is $9.99 per month.

I'll be interested to see if people are willing to pay. That said, he may have priced it that high because the ad revenue is worth more to him.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by alan weinberg » July 8th, 2017, 6:03 am

I'm gone if there is a charge.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Dan Hammer » July 8th, 2017, 6:03 am

Eric LaMasters wrote:$6 a month is not that big of a deal to me, especially for the daily enjoyment I get from the app. I've met a lot of great people through Delectable.
You can cheap out and get CellarTracker for free. I make a donation based on the size of my cellar. Works out to $3.00 a month, and I'm very happy with all the extra information I'm able to access.

$72 a year seems excessive. I watched the segment on CBS.
This space for rent.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 8th, 2017, 7:11 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
Eric LaMasters wrote:$6 a month is not that big of a deal to me, especially for the daily enjoyment I get from the app. I've met a lot of great people through Delectable.
You can cheap out and get CellarTracker for free. I make a donation based on the size of my cellar. Works out to $3.00 a month, and I'm very happy with all the extra information I'm able to access.

$72 a year seems excessive. I watched the segment on CBS.
But you still have to subscribe to Vinous to get his reviews. I hope this new tie-in with Delectable doesn't impact the CT tie in. Not that I subscribe to Vinous, but I don't want to see the value of CT diminished for others
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Ken Strauss » July 8th, 2017, 7:38 am

M A T T H A R T L E Y wrote:$72 per year seems steep - is this in addition to the Vinous subscription?

My Print Edition Subscription to The Washington Post is $14.99 per month and it comes with daily content, all sorts of apps, reviews etc. just as a reference point.

I'll be interested to see if people are willing to pay. That said, he may have priced it that high because the ad revenue is worth more to him.
If you have Amazon Prime you get 6 months of the Washington Post for free. Then $3.99 thereafter.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 8th, 2017, 7:43 am

Ken Strauss wrote:
M A T T H A R T L E Y wrote:$72 per year seems steep - is this in addition to the Vinous subscription?

If you have Amazon Prime you get 6 months of the Washington Post for free. Then $3.99 thereafter.
$4 a month for the Post? Seriously? I need to unsubscribe and then re-subscribe! I pay multiples of that

Markus S

#9 Post by Markus S » July 8th, 2017, 7:48 am

It's called "monetization" - the scourge of the digital world.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#10 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 8th, 2017, 7:52 am

Hahaha, first ad I see:
IMG_7319.PNG
IMG_7319.PNG (94.96 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brian Tuite » July 8th, 2017, 10:12 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:Hahaha, first ad I see:
The attachment IMG_7319.PNG is no longer available
They've got you pegged.

Me too! Ha!
IMG_4280.JPG
IMG_4280.JPG (11.34 KiB) Viewed 2500 times

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Andrew Demaree » July 8th, 2017, 10:21 am

I'm not seeing any ads. I wonder if it's because I already subscribe to Vinous, or because I haven't updated to the latest version of Delectable yet...?

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brian Tuite » July 8th, 2017, 10:33 am

Andrew Demaree wrote:I'm not seeing any ads. I wonder if it's because I already subscribe to Vinous, or because I haven't updated to the latest version of Delectable yet...?
I wish I could go back to an older version. I refently refreshed all my apps that needed updating. Had no idea what was in store.
IMG_5985.JPG
IMG_5985.JPG (18.88 KiB) Viewed 2463 times

2019 WOTY...

Peter Metzger

#14 Post by Peter Metzger » July 8th, 2017, 10:39 am

Ken Strauss wrote:

Does the Washington Post offer require a Kindle?
Peter

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#15 Post by larry schaffer » July 8th, 2017, 10:44 am

And o thought the appearance was to explain why Rose is such a hot commodity . . .
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Ken Strauss » July 8th, 2017, 10:44 am

Peter Metzger wrote:
Ken Strauss wrote:

Does the Washington Post offer require a Kindle?
No

You can use the WP app or browser to view.

You just have to sign up through your Amazon account.

I usually read on my IPAD.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

NoahR

#17 Post by NoahR » July 8th, 2017, 11:15 am

Can't say i'm surprised but, honestly, I do not see how the app justifies the price.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Eric Egan

#18 Post by Eric Egan » July 8th, 2017, 11:27 am

That's a shame. Mind you I never bother to update my apps and don't see myself doing it any time in the near future... in any case I have an add-blocker so all I'll see is a blank space on my screen.
Composer and Lecturer | UK

ybarselah

#19 Post by ybarselah » July 8th, 2017, 12:19 pm

ads aren't the issue. really shitty ads are the issue. i'm hopeful they can make this work so judgement reserved right now.
Yaacov (ITB)

JFPelletier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by JFPelletier » July 8th, 2017, 12:25 pm

NoahR wrote:Can't say i'm surprised but, honestly, I do not see how the app justifies the price.

I had a bunch of issues with the app UI already (tagging/untagging people, reviews showing up in the comments, basic workflow inconsistencies, etc), but I stuck with it for the social aspect.

However, paying for it to avoid being peppered with ads is not worth it for me, given the issues mentioned above. It's hard to find value in this.

JF

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Ken V » July 8th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Here is the interview, though I understand you can only watch it here if you are in the US:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/scan- ... vp-BBDXtAJ
Brian Tuite wrote:As of today Delectable now sports ads between user submissions and also pop ups when you attempt to add a wine. Next they will say, "Want to lose the ads, spend $x/mo."

Antonio didn't mention that in his interview, only that for $5.99/mo you can get Vinous scores on Delectable wines as well. So now even if you didn't want them you will need to pay for them in order to keep the user interface ad free and enjoyable? Users built that app and made it what it is. Congratulations, here's your bill.
We also built Wine Berserkers and have to pay to keep it ad-free. [shrug.gif] [berserker.gif]
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Ken V » July 8th, 2017, 3:13 pm

NoahR wrote:Can't say i'm surprised but, honestly, I do not see how the app justifies the price.
Just to be clear, the app is still free. $5.99 per month is only to add the 250,000 Vinous reviews to the app.
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek

Eric LaMasters

#23 Post by Eric LaMasters » July 8th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Ken V wrote:
Just to be clear, the app is still free. $5.99 per month is only to add the 250,000 Vinous reviews to the app.
But the biggest reason to pay the monthly fee is to get rid of the ads.

WvanGorp

#24 Post by WvanGorp » July 8th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Two thoughts. I can't believe people who spend HUNDREDS even thousands on a bottle of wine are getting upset over like $70. Second the guy is brilliant. This is the only way in 2017 to make a lot of money as a wine critic. The Parker model is dead which is why they agreed to get the monkey off their back by bringing in Michelin. Galloni is the smartest guy in the biz of reviewing its obvious.
Wilfred van Gorp

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Scott Wi3gand » July 8th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Brian, as someone who used the app pretty extensively, do you think you will continue to use it? If so, will you pony up to get rid of the adds (I guess you might care about the vinous scores but I know they are irrelevant to me).

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Mike Evans » July 8th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Scott Wiegand wrote:Brian, as someone who used the app pretty extensively, do you think you will continue to use it? If so, will you pony up to get rid of the adds (I guess you might care about the vinous scores but I know they are irrelevant to me).
If I drop Delectable, I'm ditching my Vinous subscription as well. I don't give a rat's ass about integrating Vinous content into Delectable, and given the amount of content I've put into Delectable (images for over 1,700 wines and notes on hundreds of them), the ongoing poor levels of support for Delectable (I've been waiting more than a week for them to correct a wine that doesn't exist, though they just identified a wine I posted 28 weeks ago, so I guess I'll be lucky if they fix this one by Christmas), and what I've paid for my Vinous subscription, I'm currently more than a little pissed off that Antonio thinks it is reasonable to make me pay another $70/year or get slammed with ads.

I don't get the notion that adding Vinous content to Delectable is a significant value add for an existing Vinous subscriber. Why the hell do I care what anyone at Vinous said about a wine I'm currently drinking? Am I supposed to substitute their perception for my own? If I care what they have to say, I'll look it up in CT or on Vinous.

It was easy to overlook some of the issues with Delectable in the past, before the choice was paying per month or getting harassed by ads. This is a really stupid move by Antonio.

GregT

#27 Post by GregT » July 8th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Mike - same applies to any review.

If you've never used the app and never subscribed - are you missing something by not getting more wine reviews?
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Alan Rath » July 8th, 2017, 6:58 pm

In this day and age, I can't figure out why anyone pays for reviewers content. Virtually every wine you might look for has all the reviews attached to it on one retailer's site or another.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Ken V » July 8th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
Scott Wiegand wrote:Brian, as someone who used the app pretty extensively, do you think you will continue to use it? If so, will you pony up to get rid of the adds (I guess you might care about the vinous scores but I know they are irrelevant to me).
If I drop Delectable, I'm ditching my Vinous subscription as well. I don't give a rat's ass about integrating Vinous content into Delectable, and given the amount of content I've put into Delectable (images for over 1,700 wines and notes on hundreds of them), the ongoing poor levels of support for Delectable (I've been waiting more than a week for them to correct a wine that doesn't exist, though they just identified a wine I posted 28 weeks ago, so I guess I'll be lucky if they fix this one by Christmas), and what I've paid for my Vinous subscription, I'm currently more than a little pissed off that Antonio thinks it is reasonable to make me pay another $70/year or get slammed with ads....
My understanding is that this is not the way it works. If you are already paying for Vinous, you should be getting the reviews ad-free on Delectable.
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Mike Evans » July 8th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Ken, as I said in the version of my rant I posted to Vinous, my sentiments change if the fee is waived for Vinous subscribers, but I haven't seen anything that says that they intend to handle it that way. I think that approach will cost them a lot of users who aren't Vinous subscribers, but it won't interfere with the core use of the app for my purposes, which is as an easy way of keeping up with what I drink. Ads make it annoying to use, so my priority is making sure I don't have to deal with them. Integration of Vinous reviews is just adding a few more sprinkles on a sundae that is already well-sprinkled.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Brian Tuite » July 8th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Delectable has always been and will always remain a wine geek social media site where we share what we are drinking. I don't need outside content mixed with my fun time. I'll probably stick with it and gloss over the ads but they are very annoying.

2019 WOTY...

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Scott Wi3gand » July 8th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
Delectable has always been and will always remain a wine geek social media site where we share what we are drinking. I don't need outside content mixed with my fun time. I'll probably stick with it and gloss over the ads but they are very annoying.
That's kind of what I figured you might say. I haven't invested nearly as much time as you or Mike have so it would upset me too bad to cut ties at this point. However, I'm going to try to carry on despite the ads but they may get to me eventually.

Eric LaMasters

#33 Post by Eric LaMasters » July 8th, 2017, 10:21 pm

I figure since I've posted over 2000 wines on Delectable, I probably should be paying them something. That makes the subscription price seem pretty reasonable in terms of how much I have used it.
It's sort of like a very inexpensive tasting group. That's a pretty small fee to discuss wines we are drinking with a fun group of people.

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Scott Wi3gand » July 8th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Eric LaMasters wrote:I figure since I've posted over 2000 wines on Delectable, I probably should be paying them something. That makes the subscription price seem pretty reasonable in terms of how much I have used it.
It's sort of like a very inexpensive tasting group. That's a pretty small fee to discuss wines we are drinking with a fun group of people.
Eric, your view on this is entirely too reasonable. For me, I have a philosophical opposition to paying for content when I feel I should be able to get it for free. I will spend $5 on a coffee drink I don't need and not even bat an eye. But if I have to face the prospect of paying for a movie rental on Amazon when I'm already signed up for Prime, I will go to great lengths to avoid paying $2.99 on sheer principle.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Andrew Demaree » July 9th, 2017, 7:24 am

I don't have a problem with paying for content. I do have a problem with paying for it twice. I already subscribe to Vinous, so paying another $70/yr to see the same content isn't attractive to me.

Neither is paying $70 to stop seeing ads on a platform that was entirely ad-free before Vinous bought it.

The unique content on Delectable is all provided by the users. Charging users who are delivering content (1000+ bottle pictures and tasting notes in my case, 2000+ in Eric's, etc.) to see another user's content may make some sense if the fee is low enough. After all, Delectable is providing the forum for it to occur. But $70/year is well beyond what that's worth to me. I'm interested to see what Eric or Brian or a group of others are drinking, and what they think of it, but most of those folks are already posting notes (usually more detailed) on CellarTracker...which I already happily pay to use. So, again, there's not a lot of unique content.

As such, at least for someone like me who already uses Vinous and CellarTracker, this isn't a win. It's having a previously ad-free app get overrun with ads so Vinous can make more money, or paying $70 to make the ads disappear (which, again, helps Vinous make more money).

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#36 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » July 9th, 2017, 10:35 am

Andrew Demaree wrote:I don't have a problem with paying for content. I do have a problem with paying for it twice. I already subscribe to Vinous, so paying another $70/yr to see the same content isn't attractive to me.

Neither is paying $70 to stop seeing ads on a platform that was entirely ad-free before Vinous bought it.

The unique content on Delectable is all provided by the users. Charging users who are delivering content (1000+ bottle pictures and tasting notes in my case, 2000+ in Eric's, etc.) to see another user's content may make some sense if the fee is low enough. After all, Delectable is providing the forum for it to occur. But $70/year is well beyond what that's worth to me. I'm interested to see what Eric or Brian or a group of others are drinking, and what they think of it, but most of those folks are already posting notes (usually more detailed) on CellarTracker...which I already happily pay to use. So, again, there's not a lot of unique content.

As such, at least for someone like me who already uses Vinous and CellarTracker, this isn't a win. It's having a previously ad-free app get overrun with ads so Vinous can make more money, or paying $70 to make the ads disappear (which, again, helps Vinous make more money).
This...

Keith Levenberg

#37 Post by Keith Levenberg » July 9th, 2017, 11:22 am

If Antonio is able to get away with both 1) charging people money to read his reviews + 2) charging people money to write their own reviews, then color me impressed.

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Arv R » July 9th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Keith Levenberg wrote:If Antonio is able to get away with both 1) charging people money to read his reviews + 2) charging people money to write their own reviews, then color me impressed.
And I think he also got the Wine Advocate to pay him for reviews that ended up on his own site!

Triple win!
R_@_0

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 9th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
Wait a second, you cheat on us?!? Even after getting your own "stickie" thread?!

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

I'm crushed. I am completely monogamous.

Honestly, I barely know anything about this source and did not know it even contained a forum.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Markus S

#40 Post by Markus S » July 9th, 2017, 1:16 pm

WvanGorp wrote:.... This is the only way in 2017 to make a lot of money as a wine critic.
I thought we had robots to do this nowadays?
$ _ € ® e . k @

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Brian Tuite » July 9th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:
Honestly, I barely know anything about this source and did not know it even contained a forum.
It doesn't. Facial recognition on bottle shots, ability to rate 1.0-10.0, ability to comment. Keeps record of what you drink, who you follow, who follows you etc... no forums though.

2019 WOTY...

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Mike Evans » July 9th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Antonio posted on the Vinous forum that he views Delectable as a different platform so about all Vinous subscribers get for their $6/month is the avoidance of ads and a different way to access content we've already paid for. I'd consider a reasonable one-time payment to opt out of ads, which is common on other apps, but the product isn't worth $6/month to me.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Andrew Demaree » July 9th, 2017, 3:42 pm

I won't repeat my post from the Vinous board, as it overlaps significantly with my post above. But, Antonio's response in the Vinous board thread does little to persuade me that there's anything attractive in the new Delectable set-up for current Vinous subscribers. Maybe non-subscribers will feel that paying $72/yr to get rid of ads and access reviews is worth it.

For me, as a current subscriber to both Vinous and CellarTracker, I don't see any gain. So, I'll probably just continue to use the old version of the app that I have until it's no longer functional. At that point, I'll likely just drop it vs. use an app that's cluttered with ads or pay $72/yr to make them disappear.

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Ken V » July 9th, 2017, 7:36 pm

Mike Evans wrote:Antonio posted on the Vinous forum that he views Delectable as a different platform so about all Vinous subscribers get for their $6/month is the avoidance of ads and a different way to access content we've already paid for. I'd consider a reasonable one-time payment to opt out of ads, which is common on other apps, but the product isn't worth $6/month to me.
Yes. I was wrong about this. I thought if you pay for Vinous... well, basically what Andrew said. It makes no sense to me.
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Brian Tuite » July 9th, 2017, 7:51 pm

For those of you who do not subscribe to Vinous here is Antonio's response to the feedback on the forum.
Apologies for not chiming in sooner. I am in Europe and still recovering from the lovely 6.5 hour delay I had on Friday night at JFK.

But let's talk about Delectable. First, let's get something out of the way. The only reason Delectable exists today is because we put up the resources that were required to ensure its long-term viability. This is a fact and it is beyond discussion. No one here will ever know, for example, how close Delectable came to being bought by a retailer whose intentions were starkly different from ours.

Delectable remains a free app. In the free version we have added the ability to delete a comment (an intermediary step until we introduce editing) and average prices for all wines, the #1 feature enhancement users have asked for. We have also introduced advertisements. There is a bit of trial and error required to get ads totally dialed in and relevant, but we are moving in the right direction.

The Premium subscription ($5.99/month) gives users the ability to get rid of the ads, see Vinous reviews and receive priority help in matching wines that don't match automatically.

Over the last six months we have made meaningful investments in Delectable. I would like to do more. The reality is that maintaining and growing the app takes money. At this time, for the foreseeable future, all revenues are going right back into making Delectable as good - but hopefully as great - as possible. I am sure many of you are familiar with the fate that numerous wine/technology companies have suffered. It is always the same. Expenses are too high and revenues are too low. We are determined to not let that happen.

I can understand why Vinous subscribers feel like they should see Vinous reviews on Delectable without having a separate charge for that. Our view is that Delectable is a platform, not unlike CellarTracker. Users who derive value from the Delectable platform should be willing to pay for it. Moreover, I do not exclude than in the future, Delectable might include reviews from other publications as well. There is no reason why that could not happen.

So, we are still in the early stages. We won't get every decision right the first time. But we have total flexibility to do whatever we want.

If there are any customer service issues, just let us know and we will do our best to resolve them.

Flag Quote · Insightful Disagree Agree Like
Antonio Galloni Posts: 3,251
12:56PM
I've been using the app since it began and was take a picture, upload it and wait for a reply email saying they have identified my wine and here is where I can purchase it.

Antonio could have saved himself a lot of time if he would have simply asked the users if they would support a subscription service for Delecatble use in order to not get bombarded with ads. Everyone I know who uses Delectable uses it to share what they are drinking and follow others who they care to follow. I know of nobody who uses it to find out information on a wine. Antonio thinks we are there for the information when we are actually there to socialize our wine drinking. Vinous seems to want to change users minds. I don't think it will go over well. Hell I may be wrong, they my get tons of new subscribers but the site won't be the same. While I understnd that everything has a cost I really don't think $72 a year for a user driven database is very appealing. I pay $25/year for WineBerserkers and another $25/year for Cellartracker and each of those gives me tons more value for the dollar than Delectable would for the same price, lest $72.

More power to him if he can make it work but, like I said, it won't be the same any longer.

2019 WOTY...

Eric LaMasters

#46 Post by Eric LaMasters » July 9th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Brian, I very much agree with your sentiments about Delectable. I don't imagine I'll ever use it to look at a Vinous review. I subscribe to Vinous, but I can't imagine why I'd look at their reviews after I've already opened the bottle. Delectable, to me, is only about the social aspect.
I do feel I should be paying something for the use of the app, but the current amount does seem a bit high. I pay more to CellarTracker and WineBerserkers each year, but I'm happier to pay those since they are voluntary. I'm okay with $6 a month for now, but if a lot of the people I follow stop posting or post less frequently, then I'll reevaluate. At least it is only a one-month-at-a-time commitment.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » July 9th, 2017, 8:53 pm

I'm looking now. Yes there are ads and no access to Vinous, but you can still use it and record notes. This is all I care about, cataloging wines and my notes when I care to leave them. So free works just fine for me.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

dougwilder

#48 Post by dougwilder » July 10th, 2017, 10:05 am

Alan Rath wrote:In this day and age, I can't figure out why anyone pays for reviewers content. Virtually every wine you might look for has all the reviews attached to it on one retailer's site or another.
Would you really be looking for it if nobody had said anything about it? champagne.gif
itb

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 10th, 2017, 10:18 am

Brian Tuite wrote:For those of you who do not subscribe to Vinous here is Antonio's response to the feedback on the forum.
Apologies for not chiming in sooner. I am in Europe and still recovering from the lovely 6.5 hour delay I had on Friday night at JFK.

But let's talk about Delectable. First, let's get something out of the way. The only reason Delectable exists today is because we put up the resources that were required to ensure its long-term viability. This is a fact and it is beyond discussion. No one here will ever know, for example, how close Delectable came to being bought by a retailer whose intentions were starkly different from ours.

Delectable remains a free app. In the free version we have added the ability to delete a comment (an intermediary step until we introduce editing) and average prices for all wines, the #1 feature enhancement users have asked for. We have also introduced advertisements. There is a bit of trial and error required to get ads totally dialed in and relevant, but we are moving in the right direction.

The Premium subscription ($5.99/month) gives users the ability to get rid of the ads, see Vinous reviews and receive priority help in matching wines that don't match automatically.

Over the last six months we have made meaningful investments in Delectable. I would like to do more. The reality is that maintaining and growing the app takes money. At this time, for the foreseeable future, all revenues are going right back into making Delectable as good - but hopefully as great - as possible. I am sure many of you are familiar with the fate that numerous wine/technology companies have suffered. It is always the same. Expenses are too high and revenues are too low. We are determined to not let that happen.

I can understand why Vinous subscribers feel like they should see Vinous reviews on Delectable without having a separate charge for that. Our view is that Delectable is a platform, not unlike CellarTracker. Users who derive value from the Delectable platform should be willing to pay for it. Moreover, I do not exclude than in the future, Delectable might include reviews from other publications as well. There is no reason why that could not happen.

So, we are still in the early stages. We won't get every decision right the first time. But we have total flexibility to do whatever we want.

If there are any customer service issues, just let us know and we will do our best to resolve them.

Flag Quote · Insightful Disagree Agree Like
Antonio Galloni Posts: 3,251
12:56PM
I've been using the app since it began and was take a picture, upload it and wait for a reply email saying they have identified my wine and here is where I can purchase it.

Antonio could have saved himself a lot of time if he would have simply asked the users if they would support a subscription service for Delecatble use in order to not get bombarded with ads. Everyone I know who uses Delectable uses it to share what they are drinking and follow others who they care to follow. I know of nobody who uses it to find out information on a wine. Antonio thinks we are there for the information when we are actually there to socialize our wine drinking. Vinous seems to want to change users minds. I don't think it will go over well. Hell I may be wrong, they my get tons of new subscribers but the site won't be the same. While I understnd that everything has a cost I really don't think $72 a year for a user driven database is very appealing. I pay $25/year for WineBerserkers and another $25/year for Cellartracker and each of those gives me tons more value for the dollar than Delectable would for the same price, lest $72.

More power to him if he can make it work but, like I said, it won't be the same any longer.
Thanks for posting that Brian. I had no idea that Galloni has an interest in Delectable, and after reading that, and his claimed interest in investing in it and seeing it grow, I wonder whether access to Vinous content through CT is an endangered species.

Alicia C.

#50 Post by Alicia C. » July 10th, 2017, 10:32 am

as an active user of Delectable, and a big fan of the app, I was slightly miffed to suddenly see the ads and subscription without warning (and no, the updated app warning isn't enough). an e-mail to the existing community (especially since many of us are probably not Vinous subscribers) would have been a smart way for them to a) get people to subscribe by explaining what the new price would give them b) introduce users to Vinous who may not know it and b) maintain good-will among the existing community. I'm glad they're investing money into the app and maybe the subscriptions and ads will help them keep Delectable up and running. I just hope they don't alienate a majority of their user base by doing so.
last name starts with a CY and ends with PRESS
I'm @itswinebyme on Twitter and Tumblr

Return to “Wine Talk”