TN: 1990 Pol Roger Winston Churchill

damn, this is good stuff. Due to a diet, I’ve only had wine a couple times past few weeks but since I reached my weight goal days before I planned, I opened this bottle. This is why one buys on release–to have a perfectly stored bottle decades down the road. And this bottle is amazing. A vigorous pop accompanied the cork removal though the wine has little fizz in the glass, more like a still wine w a little pétillance giving lift. The wine has a long life ahead of it–this bottle doesn’t.

Creamy, a little honey and caramel but not oxidized or sherried, complex and refined, it’s a classy wine that makes me happy. It has great palate presence and weight but stays balanced and lithe–really really good juice.

Good to hear.
I’ve got some still ! champagne.gif

no rush but mindbendingly good tonight. Lucky you.

Thanks. I recently finished off my '98s and wish I had more.

“Mindbendingly” great word.

Why diet at your age? :slight_smile:

whenever I go to Europe I lose 20 lbs before departure–so I can eat whatever the hell I want without remorse or second thought. I don’t want to add to my paunch. Don’t worry. I’ll fatten right up again.

Gotcha! Over under Coche Dury…5?

Nice note, doc. WC is my favorite champagne, the '88 being one of the best the house has ever produced. It’s frightfully expensive, but once in a while it shows up in the market.

This is one of my 3 favorite Champagnes ever … !

(the other 2 are Salon 1996 and Dom Perignon 1978)

Jealous! Sounds dreamy

What a fantastic plan! That’s freaking genius!

This was one of my aha wines. Had my only bottle 12 or 13 years ago. Had an '00 recently and was a bit disappointed. Glad this wine is still drinking well. Travel well!

I recently had the 1998 and was blown away, and now I’ve bought a bottle or two of the 2002 and 2004. Do most people think about this as a fairly consistent wine in the years they make it, or so you selectively buy the best years?

I’m not the best to ask. I cellar 02 and 04, haven’t yet had them. 96 was stunning and I kick myself that I bought only one b before price skyrocketed. It is expensive–more than Taittinger or Vilmart CdC.

Good job Alan. An excellent strategy!

Obvious typo in my post. I had the 2000 and it was a bit of a disappointment. I have the '04 in my cellar and I am hopeful it is more like the '90.

Thanks for the memories as it`s been a few years since last having the wine. I love your qualification of it having “caramel but not oxidized or sherried” as I have had difficulty writing up clear notes where that is true.