Another Irritating Thread Inqiring As To Your Intentions Of 2013 Barolo Purchases

Will you be going long or short? Producers and bottlings that are high on your list? Yes, I know most have not yet been released, but the Vietti single vineyards have been out there for awhile. Word is that the 2013 Vietti Castiglione is very strong. Thanks.

Similar to 2010, will go long on my favorites: Giacosa, Cavallotto, Vajra, Cappellano, Burlotto, Brezza, Sandrone, Grasso, Mascarello, A&G Fantino …

By which you mean that Galloni gave it 93?

No plans to ride the hype machine. Might pick up the odd bottle along the way, but I’m quite well stocked already, so no pressing need.

None, probably. At my age, it is unlikely that I will buy new Barolo again, unless they come out with a new paradigm.

Actually, it was 93+.

I’ve taken a few cases of the 2013 Castiglione (and Ravera) but will not actually get to taste the 2013 Vietti’s until next month. Will report back then. I went for the E Pira and Grasso bottlings too, but that will be it for me as too much older Barolo in the cellar to justify more young purchases…

2013 is strong, but aren’t 2015/2016 also amazing? (just saying maybe not go super long on '13 as there seem to be a string of really good Piedmont vintages)

Was just about to say this. I’m not feeling any pressure to go long in 2013. I’ve scooped up just a few, including the Vietti by coincidence.

I plan to go microscopic. Too old to be buying new vintages of long-aging wines.

Having said that, I did buy a few 2016 bdx (in halves), some 2014 bdx and some 2015 too (though not much), and just bought some 2014 burgs.

Still, I suspect I won’t buy any. Back-filling, buying champagne . . . otherwise drinking the cellar. That’s what the plan was all along.

I’ve secured Brovia, Burlotto, Sandrone and Grasso so far.

Waiting for Bartolo, Cappellano, Cavallotto, Massolino and Vajra to come online in the fall.

I’ll look about in case G Rinaldi shows up at a reasonable price but I’m not holding my breath.

Already in on Grasso & E. Pira/Boschis. Intend to buy a few cases overall but not in a huge hurry. I lean towards tradionalist. Likely targets Gaja, Vajra, Fantino, Vietti, G. Mascarello, Sandrone, Bartolo Mascarello. I’m generally buying 3-4 bottles from each producer from vineyards I like, rather than going very deep on a single wine maker.

I’m not buying into the hype and as my allocations on Cappellano, Rinaldi and B. Mascarello are reduced I’ll be buying less than in 2010. Other buys are Burlotto, Brovia, Giacosa, Paitin and G. Mascarello

I’m also trying to figure things out. I’m not a fan of big vintages. Me no likey 2000 or 97. Even Giacosa. So I’m assuming I should avoid 11 and 12 correct ? Not feeling a lot of love for 13 Giacosa.

For my palate, it is becoming harder and harder to find Barolo/Barbaresco that has restraint and finesse. I find much more that I like in Carema, Ghemme, Lessona and the like. As I recall, you don’t like dark, licorice and tar Nebbiolo either, so perhaps buy a case of Ferrando’s 2013 Carema Etichetta Bianca and you’ll be good.

'11 is pretty ripe, for my taste '12 is fresh and balanced.

It’s my daughter’s birth year, so what choice do I have? She’s gotta have something to open on her 40th - 60th birthdays.

Often worth ‘choosing your producer’ in more challenging vintages. I’ve enjoyed Marcarini wines from 1997 and even 2003 [wow.gif] so I’d be very hopeful for them even in a warm/hot year. Likewise many here speak fondly on Monfortino in 2002, a vintage I quite enjoyed, but on no-ones chart as a good vintage, let alone a great one.

Others can comment on Giacosa - well out of my price range

That’s my take, too. The '12s aren’t wines for the ages, but they avoid overripeness and have terrific aromatics.

As a mnemonic, the recent vintages that have been warmest have been the odd ones from '07 to '15. My sense from limited tasting of '13s is that they are better balanced on average than the 07, 09 and 11s.

Is the plus an indication of La Fiesta participation? [stirthepothal.gif]

To your original question Michael I’ll be buying the same traditional producers I buy every year, albeit not in high volume. G. Rinaldi allocations have changed though so I’ll be buying less from that Cantina sadly. I’ll also buy the 2013 Monfortino when it’s released, as well as the 2014 when it’s released.