Eisele ( Arujao ) Vineyard 2014

A buddy has offered his allocation of cab and syrah at cost. I note low scores the last few years from Vinuous, and a reference to a new winemaker.
I’ve had older Arujao from the late '90’s and earlier '00’s but nothing recent. Any references or tastings of the '14, particularly the syrah?

Who do they list as winemaker and/or consulting winemaker? The vineyard is stellar, managed very well, and I have not seen any changes in the vineyard (from the street - they are neighbors). I thought Francoise Peschon was still at the helm there.

Chateau Latour purchased the operation a few years ago, kept the name Araujo for some time, but now, thankfully, have returned the label to Eisele Vibeyard.

I’ve had many of those same older Syrahs from the 90’s and was early 00’s. None of them delivered what they should have for the price. I’d spend my money elsewhere. The Cab at least, although still overpriced, has never failed to be stellar.

Tom

The winemaker is now Hélène Mignot, with input from the rest of the Pinault team, inc. Latour’s winemaker (or more accurately, technical director), also named Hélène (Genin).

I think she’s doing a great job. The blend is now based on which blocks have the best terroir (deep, gravel / cobble soils), as opposed to being crafted for immediate impact; we’ll see what effect that has down the line. More noticeable is superior oak integration compared with the old régime. I’ve also noted (at least perceptibly) brighter acidity.

They are also about to replant some of the Syrah parcels, which the team believe were not optimally sited.

All in all I think the two Cabernet cuvées are great, better than under the Araujos—but I haven’t tasted the Syrah, so can’t comment on that.