2013 Shafer HSS offering

One of my consistent buys each year, but getting close to the break point.

750s up $20 to $285 and mags up $60 to $595.

Guessing these will end up being 100 point wines (not that it really matters, as I’ve never sold and always drank or gifted my bottles) and should be a fantastic wine.

Would welcome any thoughts.

I’m still leaning toward my usual purchase of a mag and 3 bottles, but I could be convinced otherwise [cheers.gif]

Tom

Don’t buy. I need to get onto the allocation list this year.

Edit. Made the list. Thx.

Tom,

100% on the same page with you. Fantastic wine and great if you visit, but getting up in price. I usually buy the same thing as you. Always the Mag and either 3 or 6 750’s. I’m likely in.

My first year making the list (previously had only bought the 2010 when I visited the winery a couple years ago). That’s some sticker shock though.

Damn it makes SQN look like a bargain pileon

A side note on Shafer HSS.

We had a side by side tasting of 2007 Colgin Estate IX and 2007 Shafer HSS a couple of weeks ago, and the group favorite (by a decent amount as to votes, but closer as to how much separation) was the Shafer.

As I remember, the Shafer tasted younger, more fruit forward, bigger, with tannins smoothed out. Felt like the bottle was still somewhat in the primary stage and had not yet developed into secondary and/or tertiary flavors. Long life ahead.

On the other hand, the Colgin seemed more evolved, although still somewhat young. I preferred the Colgin, but was in the minority (the group tends to like younger wines, so no big surprise they chose the Shafer).

Both great wines.

All the Shafer HSSs I’ve had have been very good to great wines.

I think I’m talking myself into buying again this year. :slight_smile:

Oh my GOD!

Somehow my offer ended up in my spam folder. I generally empty this folder once a day and very rarely look inside.

Holy cow, I just missed a bullet.

Ordered 6 bottles. First ever offer so go big or go home I figured.

Signed up late 2012 or very early 2013.

My first offer as well, and I’ve loved every Shafer I’ve tasted.

While I’m not shocked at the price, I am struggling with buying. At $285 this is very fully priced. The market is not likely to support higher prices on this. Earlier vintages can generally be had for less. And this is a large production wine, so not likely to be rare or hard to find. What’s my incentive to buy this now?

Well you need to buy one bottle minimum to stay on the list. 2014 is another possible perfect score. Which you need to buy again a minimum of one bottle. So that when the 2015 vintage is released at 40% of normal production (rarer) you can then get your hands on them. :wink:

In addition to what Joe said you buy because you love the wine and you know the provenance by buying direct.

Also if you buy 6 you save on shipping with no tax if outside of California.

I did actually pay tax for Illinois of about $106.94

Wow!
Nothing to Florida.

It routinely shows up on the shelf down here. The 2011 has been sitting with no takers @ $259. The 2012 never made an appearance. I guess the restaurants got it all.

bought mine. 6 + 1 mag. One of my favorite Cali Cabs. This will make it a 15 year vertical in the cellar.

I have a few bottles at cost if anyone is interested

Sorry to be that guy but wow I had no idea on pricing these days. I last bought the 1994 and paid $80 and thought it was too much and never bought again. At least I have one of those left in the cellar.

Edited to add that I just ran the numbers that it works out to a 6.75% annual increase over the past 20 years.

Never had Shafer HSS but have had several vintages of Odette, their neighbor to the south along the Trail.

At nearly $300 per for HSS, does anyone know how it compares to say the Odette Reserve?

I bought 2008-2010, but then dropped off. I really enjoyed the wines, but I’m getting to the point where anything > $200 is a pass for me. There are equally good Napa cabs out there (or better) IMO like Maybach Materium at $185. That all said, I bet the 2013 HSS will be exceptional!

Guessing these will end up being 100 point wines (not that it really matters, as I’ve never sold and always drank or gifted my bottles) and should be a fantastic wine.
[cheers.gif]

Tom[/quote]
Parker ‘only’ Gave it a 98.

Parker ‘only’ Gave it a 98.[/quote]

Just to be accurate
Parker originally rated it 96-100
He rerated 98+ with the comment that it will probably hit triple digits.
[cheers.gif]