TN; 2014 Cyril Audoin Marsannay les Favières

TN; 2014 Cyril Audoin Marsannay les Favières; somewhat dense dark purple for a Marsannay, light-medium by Calif pinot standards, I got crushed red fruit-more cherry than plum and loads of mineral that were both very fresh-no earthy notes (though I am fine with those too in proportion). The killer thing was the impact upon tasting-this is a coiled up monster of a Marsannay like no other I’ve had. I was expecting the usual-light cherry with ample acid. Not close. This is about as dense and full-fruited as any Marsannay has any right to be. It’s obviously young but impeccably balanced and delicious to drink now. My two regrets; 1) that I opened this on a Monday as a casual wine to go with pizza and 2) that I only bought four along with four each of it’s stablemates. I need to throw a plug to Robert Panzer from whom I have only occasionally bought and have never met-when I buy a wine from him that he says “trust me” about and it sounds like it’s in your wheelhouse, well, I’ve been thrilled each time. This would slay most $75 bottles of Burgundy and I paid $33.

I hate looking like I’m bumping my own thread, but on day two the second half of this bottle was singing-downright explosive aroma with many different aspects not evident the previous day with very sweet subtle oak emerging for the first time-reminiscent of walking into a winery where the smell of sweet fruit and oak is intoxicating, I just wanted to sit and smell it which is what I did for nearly half an hour. It also grew darker and fuller bodied with 24 hours open-no surprise there. I will say it again-this is an incredible wine irrespective of price and at $33, incredible.

The Audoin Bourgognes are excellent across the board…

Do you think we should still hold though? I have a few bottles (1-2 of each), so not enough to track age over time

I have 2010’s that are still very primary (not surprising).

You can lead a horse to water…but…
:slight_smile:
Cheers!

any idea on how the other bottlings are drinking?

Great to hear!

Thanks for the note. I’ve been close a time or two to opening one. This just might be the extra little push I need to pull a cork.

You had me until the sweet oak. :frowning:

I’m not trying to sell you :slight_smile: It’s there, but subtle

I only bought four along with four each of it’s stablemates.

Did you buy his stable mate : La Charmes aux Prêtres ?

Cyril makes only approximate 600 bottle annually.

Any mention of oak must be punished immediately.
Including 100% new oak DRC.
The stuff is crap.
;0

I still own multiple bottles of Les Favieres from vintage 2006 and 2010. From my experience with Audoin’s wines - for example I bought 97 bottles of his Marsannay “La Charme aux Prêtres” from vintage 2005 ( out of a total of approximately 120 bottles imported to Quebec Canada by the agent ) - I am very sure the oak - tasted and described in 2014 Les Faviere (rated 90-93 by Meadows) - will intergrade within 1 to 2 years.

Sadly the Quebec importer had not been importing any Audoin’s wines here since vintage 2010. [swearing.gif]

Did you buy his stable mate : La Charmes aux Prêtres ?

Yes, four bottles. Knowing what I know now, I would have bought a case of each. C’est la vie, there’s a lot of good wine out there and half the fun is the search/discovery.

You are lucky…and will have lots of fun ! The difference between the 2 wines will be more evident at age 5 to 6.

Oak-barrels are expensive. There is no over-oak wines only under-wine wines…

[worship.gif]

Holy crap! And I think it’s something if I ever buy an entire case of a single wine. Perhaps if you buy in such quantity, you could compete with SAQ and import yourself [cheers.gif]

I am a newcomer when it comes to Burgundy, so take these impressions with a grain of salt. My impressions were different from Mitch’s, at least on the first night, in regards to density, color, etc. I think we get closer together on night two. I am going to add some of these to my 2015 order.

• 2014 Domaine Charles Audoin Marsannay Les Favières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay (1/19/2018)
    One of the rare wines that I liked more on day two. On the first night, this showed pretty red fruits, spice and light floral notes. Slightly lighter in color, more translucent, and lighter bodied than I expected. Their was a slight tartness or sour component initially, that started to dissipate as it saw some air. On night two, the wine had fleshed out a little and lost the sourness. It picked up some darker fruit tones and a little earthiness. I was a indifferent about the wine on night one, but really enjoyed it on the second day. Ann was not impressed on the first night and did not try it on night two.