TN: Paleokerisio Semi-Sparkling Orange Wine '15...(short/boring)

Picked up this oddity at VintageBerkeley a few weeks ago:

1. Paleokerisio Traditional Semi-Sparkling Orange Wine PGI: Ioannina (10.5%; www.Glinavos.Gr; #16610/15) DomaineGlinavos Zitsa/Ioannina/Greece 2015: Deep burnished bronze color w/ tiny bubbles; strong bit orangey/phenolic/resiny/cidery bit muscatty slight oxidized complex nose; somewhat frizzante some phenolic/resiny/cidery light muscatty slight grapey/fruity slight oxidative flavor w/ light tannic bite; very long somewhat phenolic/cidery/resiny bit frizzante/spritzy light grapey/muscatty/orangey finish w/ light tannic bite; not a very refreshing sparkler for casual drinking but a rather interesting frizzante that needs food.
    $15.00/500 ml (VB)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Not quite sure what I was expecting from this wine or how it was made. Usually I drink sparklers for their refreshing character. But this wine was dominated by the phenolic character of the skin contact but only lightly oxidative.
    Interesting if a bit weird.
    Tom

I respect your willingness to venture afield into interesting wines and very grateful you share your notes with us!

I am very curious to try more Greek wines.

Well, Barry…if I posted a TN here reviewing a RedBdx or RedBurg wine, people would be shocked and ignore my TN because
I’m in way over my head.
Greek wines are well worth trying and some are very good. Try 'em afore the $$'s prices go too crazy.
Tom

“Interesting if a bit weird” was how my roommates in college described me to their parents, I am sure. The subject line of the thread was about as unappetizing a wine name as I could conjure, and the full note didn’t improve it any, but it was . . . interesting if a bit weird.

Just out of curiosity…was the wine “full throttle” at all?

I would be excited to try a well-made sparkling orange wine…Either a semi-sparkling “orange lambrusco” type of wine, or (more optimistically) a fully- (not semi-) sparkling wine with only slight skin-contact/orange character. This note is the first time I’ve ever heard of (or thought of) the concept of an orange sparkler.

Yup, John…first one I’d ever seen before, so knew I must try it. It was more like a Pet-Nat than a full sparkler.
Tom

I was talking to the guys at Kipos this afternoon - they just got a sample bottle of this from the rep, and they hope to add it to their wine list by circa next week.

There was a small group sipping on it in the bakery.

Menus | Kipos Greek Tavern in Chapel Hill, NC

Drew Lazarus is opening it this weekend.

I guess the word is spreading.