TN: 2010 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne

• 2010 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Wow, this is what I was hoping for! Just a beautiful village Burg. Most vintages this is a top village wine, but Jean-Marie made the most of the classic 2010 vintage in this cuvée. Light, translucent garnet. A lovely bouquet. Red cherry, baking spice, tobacco, earthy, cocoa and floral perfumes. A little wild berry and old vines Gevrey funk. On palate, elegant, precise and very well balanced, for this level. Clean and pure. Silky and sappy red berried fruit with spicy, earthy and feral elements, adding complexity and interest. Toasty oak well integrated. Pitch perfect, vibrant acidity. Good length, finishing on chalky minerality. No longer primary but with just hints of secondary development, this is the best I can remember this wine drinking. At least on the evidence of this bottle, now fully open for business. Vines planted from 1928. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

What a note! Fourrier makes some of the Gevrey village besides Rousseau…

Makes me think about pulling my 2009 from bond. Thanks Howard.

I’ve been considering opening '08.
Thanks!

I had this for my 40th last summer and was immediately impressed…and then sad again when the only place in the country that was selling it had it at $150/bottle. It was worth every penny at $75…I wish I had bought more.

That’s been a delicious wine for at least 2 years now.

Thanks. I have one at hand. Need to try it soon.

Also have the 2005 Chambolle ready to go. Looking forward to that one maybe this weekend.

Thanks Howard for the note, love Fourrier GC VV. Excited to open up a 2010 soon [cheers.gif]

I am a huge fan of this wine and of Jean Marie in general. However, for me the 2008 does not measure up to other recent vintages. I’m curious to see how it shows for you.

What’s your guys’ experience with Fourrier in terms of drinking window? Have you had examples that have extended “shut down” phases? Any concerns about going 15-20 years post-vintage for village or PC wines? My Fourrier stash starts at the 2006 vintage and gets bigger by 2009 and 2012. I’ve been keeping them all in deep storage for the time being.

Good question since JM did not start making the wines until the mid-90s, and the style has evolved since then. They certainly seem sound, though not like old bones type wines.

2008- at the village level or the CSJ/Griotte level?

Love the 09 version of this and need to find this.

I’ve had some 2001 and 2002 1ers in the last couple of years and thought that they were there now for drinking (but no immediate hurry needed). I’m sure that the quality has improved from then, so I’d think 2006 1ers can go 15+ years (but would definitely be thinking about drinking from there). Villages I’d definitely be looking at at more than 10+ years. Just my thoughts. As earlier, we don’t have many years with JM’s wines …

David, I don’t agree about the lesser quality of Fourrier 2008s vis a vis other vintages. I have found the occasional 2008 Fourrier 1er I’ve opened to be quite backward (so I’ve stopped opening them), with the typical prominent 2008 acid profile.

However, I don’t doubt the quality of the vintage, but think they just need more time. ATM, IMO the 2008s just suffer in comparison with the flashier, accessible 2007s (the 2007 CSJ apart, which is typically still pretty closed). I expect to be drinking my 2008s long after I’ve finished my 2007s …

Sounds really good Howard.

How about 2008 vs 2011? What vintage do you prefer or do you rate them at a similar (low?) level?

Just in general 2008 is a better vintage than 2011. EOS.

This tread got me pulling a bottle 2011 Aux Echezeaux 2011 for tonight, not enough 2010’s to sacrifice one now already.

I agree with David, including in relation to Fourrier. The 2011 Fourriers I have had have however been accessible early especially the CAM.