Luxury Car or Luxury Wine ?

Which of the following would you pick

• Spend $20,000 a year on wine and still buy the same car
  • Spend same on wine and buy $100,000 + car
  • Spend $15,000 on wine and buy a $75,000 car

0 voters

OK, you are already in a position in life to buy good wines and a good car, however your aspirations are for the luxury versions of each. Think Porsche AMG, M series or for wines think Napa Cabs particularly BTK variants, so if you had to choose how to spend the following funds how would you do it. These are not real numbers just made up to illustrate the poll. So you currently spend $10,000 a year on wine and have a $50,000 vehicle, you can up the spending to one of the following.

Of course the usual grumpy people will jump on this posting as silly, which it absolutely is, so keep any complaints or general grumpiness to yourselves

I’d spend more on wine than a car. I don’t really care what I drive as long as it saves gas and is comfortable.

I just need a simple truck and some cheap Chinon. #lowrentcountry

If I’m you I’m buying more insurance on your kid and someone to keep an eye on that pool boy. And an extended warranty on that Range Rover

The answer to this question depends on whether I want to still have a wife.

What she will hear: “Hey hon, either I can double the number of bottles you complain are cluttering up all of our space and we can’t drink as fast as I buy them, orrrrrr you can drive that new car you want every day. So… take a minute and think about it!”

:slight_smile:

Here in the Philippines, taxes on luxury cars are already quite high (and going to get even higher if the current administration gets its way in congress), so US$100k doesn’t get one much. That said, at this point in my life, I think I deserve a car I am happy to drive (which I do). Thus, I choose option 1.

Simple for me - both!
My two hobbies, but never together.
There is no substitute!

First-World problems. neener

I’m with Mike! THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!!!

What if I need a luxury Swiss watch too?!?

Albert - Cool I hope that’s yours.
Doug,Ok maybe 3 vises.

But you’ll spend $20k ea on a couple of hot bikes neener

US$100k can’t even get you a Camry in Singapore.

I would rather spend money on wine than car.

[whistle.gif]

Last night one of my best friends came over to pop a bottle. He’s a vintage car fanatic. Owns five of them, true show quality cars restored to original condition. I was harassing him for just getting another vintage mustang, and he quipped, “yea but you buy art like I buy cars”. We all have our thing. He loves fine cuisine and wine, and is even in my wine group, yet probably has less than 15 bottles to this name. The only time he will drop $100+ on a wine is on our wine night, and he always calls me last minute, “hey Robert, what do I need to grab?”

I actually do not track what I spend on wine, but I would guess it’s far below most of the Ballers on this site.

As much as I grew up a “car guy” the needs of a fancy schmancy auto have now receded to memory. That being said we now need a truck with significant towing capability for the family and the farm. These new trucks are now pushing the $75K mark as everyone has to have a truck. Things have gotten way outta whack in the vehicle world.

That’s because you can get wine with one-quarter of the flavor for only one-quarter of the price.

I drive a SUBARU WRX STI LTD (gee, that’s a silly name) and it cost me very little compared to most of the other cars I see on the road. However, it will go 0-60 in 4.5 and is really great to drive, especially when some suburban A-hole in a Bimmer sees the front scoop and decides he wants to show his trophy wife in the passenger seat how good a driver he is. Eat my exhaust.

Hard to answer …
I never bought a 75.000 ($/€) car … nor ever will … mine was 7.000 (2 years old) and is perfect for my purpose …

It´s different with wine ! [cheers.gif]

Since my wife drives a Camry and I drive a 1996 Dodge Ram pickemup…
I did buy the Dodge when it was brand new though.

I wish Mike! We do own two though… A Cayman S-(absolutely love this thing) and a Panamera…

Jay-Nice car and killer QPR… Really nice if it’s a manual.

BTW-In South Florida we have pricks in BMW’s, Subaru’s and pretty much any car, but it’s usually the other way around… The Subaru, Honda, Scion, Hyundai and others trying to show up the more expensive car…