Tench Winery

Driving along the Silverado Trail on a trip to Napa this week, it looks like the Tench winery and caves are really coming along. I also noticed that there is now a mailing list signup on the Tench Vineyards website at http://www.tenchvineyards.com. This is a very exciting project from extremely nice people with an amazing estate vineyard in Oakville.

Any details on what this project is about? Type of wines they’ll be producing, who the owners are, estate fruit or not, etc.

My apologies if I missed this previously

I think Nickel & Nickel used to make a Tench vineyard cab.

I think Russell Bevin owns it with the tench family

Thank you so much for your interest in Tench Vineyards. Since the 1960’s we have grown grapes for other wineries. Little did we know that on a July day in 2010, when my husband, Rem, and Russell Bevan met in a small out-of-date hotel bar in New York City we would be able to get to where we are today. That day they hatched a plan to refocus my family’s 61 acre Oakville property, from selling fruit to other wineries, to crafting vineyard designate wines for Bevan Cellars. Since then a large portion of the vineyard has been replanted and Russell and Victoria have made some of the most exciting wines of the past several vintages from our fruit.

The four of us then entered a whole new phase when we decided to not only make Tench wines but to also build a winery facility on the property. Over the course of the last two and a half years, we designed and began construction on the winery and cave where we will crush the Tench wines side by side with the Bevan Cellars wines. We are initially going to focus on special little blocks on the property and eventually add other vineyards. Our production will start out modestly, but our goal is simple: to craft wines that showcase the amazing diversity in Eastern Oakville and eventually other regions as well. There will be no compromises, we will strive for excellence and fulfill our dream.

As Rem and I live on the property, please let us know when you are in the Oakville area. Once we have our “certificate of occupancy” this fall, we are excited to show you our vision and winery. I know I speak for Victoria, Russell and Rem when I say “Welcome to the Tench family."

Sincerely,
Margaret Tench

Thanks fellas!

Just signed up…which essentially required me to use my first born as colatteral to prove that I’m not a robot (literally like 4 steps to sign up).

Looking forward to learning more about it

Killing me Eric. Signed up with every intention to buy.

Subscribed. I really liked the Nickle & Nickle Tench.

Riverain’s Cabernet Sauvignon is from the Tench Vineyard, and is pretty durn tasty even for my Eurocentric palate.

Miss the Quivet Tench Sauv Blanc. [soap.gif] Russell! [pillow-fight.gif]

Thank you sir! We are obviously big Tench fans.

IMG_4780.JPG
Here is a picture of the incredibly red, rocky soils from when we walked the vineyard two years ago. I’ve been waiting for the sign-up to go live ever since that day. The vineyard is amazing and Rem and Margaret are such nice people. And with Russell Bevan making the wine it’s a slam dunk for me.

I thought your wine came from the Stench Vineyard. :wink:

Seriously, I echo Mike’s comment - Riverain makes a terrific cabernet from that vineyard. The 2013 was especially a favorite of mine. I’m happy to have bottles of that resting in the cellar.

I wonder how the wines from the Tench Family will differ from the Bevan wines from the Tench Vineyard given that Russell will be making both. I know the vineyard is very diverse in soils so perhaps they will be made from different blocks, or perhaps the Tench family will put their own mark on the wines in some form.

Now that I’m back to my PC, here are a few pictures of the red, rocky soils in Tench Vineyard.
020.JPG
018.JPG
And a map to show its neighborhood:
East Oakville.jpg

I’m having trouble finding the Tench Wine website to get on a list.

pretty sure i signed up when this thread was current
i don’t recall ever hearing anything from them
i know, not much help…

found it from 10/3/17

margaret@tenchvineyards.com

Same here. Love the wine.

And 98 pts !