Napa suggestions for 1st timers with kids

A colleague is looking for some recommendations for a first time trip to Napa, so I thought I’d throw it out to the collective wisdom of the group. Here’s her request:

“My family is headed to San Francisco area for vacation next week. Part of our trip itinerary is a day trip to visit the Napa/Sonoma area to experience a winery or two. I was hoping you could provide some tips for such an excursion. We will be traveling with my sister’s family, so kids ages 7-15 will be included. We are hoping to make this an affordable and fun day for all. Any thoughts or ideas would be great!”

I’ll underscore the affordable part, as she and her family are of moderate means and suggestions for $75 tastings will be well outside their budget.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

I would go to the Sonoma side, more places to picnic and kid friendly spots. Not to say Napa isn’t there is just better availability of it. We took our kids to Sonoma and since rules allow you to picnic there are lots of options. Hop Kiln, Ledson, Armida, Korbel, Pride Mtn could work to picnic on the Sonoma side. Not the best wines in Sonoma per se, but definitely nice wines at these places but reasonable prices and tastings are usually $10-20

V Sattui is very affordable and has a deli and picnic play area for kids.

It’s not “Berserker level” wine, but pleasant and friendly.

Their ‘madera’ is OK, too!

Cheap, friendly, food, grass, shade, picnic, kids!

Then, the adults can take turns going across the street to Flora Springs and Pahlmeyer for some great wines. Tuck Beckstoffer is right there, but I don’t know if they taste or charge. All within 50 yards of Sattui!

I honestly think she would be thrilled by that grouping.

chain the kids to the radiator and go have some adult fun. the money you would have spent on the kids can be used to enjoy some of those $75 tastings :slight_smile: /s

Also, have her call Coppola Winery, right now.

https://www.francisfordcoppolawinery.com/en/visit

They have pools that are family friendly, knowing people would like to bring kids. Plus, a movie museum feel, very pro-family.

Adult pool pass: $35
Child pool pass (ages 3-14): $15

The young folk and older folk alike might enjoy the gondola at Sterling, and the castle at Castello di Amoroso.

Oh please elaborate .

They make more than 5 cases of each wine.

They are accessible.

They go for less than 200 bucks for their highest end wine.

No helipad.

No tasting notes posted about them that start with, “You know, this hobby is all about the fun and loving friendships…unicorn list.” (Go ahead and try a forum search.)

OK, you go ahead and elaborate. Please.

Also, add to the list of kid friendly Napa places!

Gotcha and nobody on WB buys Screaming Eagle??

Without trying to sound harsh and no intent to offend, but I can’t think of a more unkid friendly place to go.

Feel free to parse my choice of words any way you like.

I meant to describe Sattui as not a typical winery discussed here and was obviously recommending the experience for a family with minors.

If you would like to parse further, PM me so you don’t stink up the thread. [cheers.gif]

Thread drift! Get the kids out of the room!

Kids 7-15…depending on their degree of interest, Hess has an utterly unique and fascinating art museum and nice grounds. A shift of grown ups as docents for the kids as they view the museum could also free some adults to taste while keeping kids amused. It is a great art collection.

Have her check to make sure kids are allowed.

I don’t know the costs, but the Napa Wine Train encourages kids, they may enjoy a train ride while the adults imbibe and watch scenery.

Clos Pegase has a great art stroll winery (check to make sure they allow kiddies), and Frog’s Leap has gardens and poultry to check out and grown ups can tastes while strolling the grounds with the kids.

Don’t take kids wine tasting. The kids hate it, the parents hate it, tasting room staff really hate it. Instead go Kayaking in Tomales Bay or tide pooling in Bolinas. Those are “Family friendly” events. Just my humble opinion.

I don’t like the advice about, “no kids.” That doesn’t answer her question at all. She was explicit in asking for places in wine country that would be affordable and fun for both the adults and kids. To tell her not to bring the kids is pointless, and of utterly no help.

I agree with Sattui, but the pool idea at Coppola is even better. What kid doesn’t like a pool?? I didn’t even know that was an option - good for them. In instances where we’ve taken kids to wineries, we’ll often take “turns,” and allow one group of adults to taste while the other watches / hangs out with the kids. That could work well here, and someone mentioned it above. When we do it, everyone is happy.

Las Vegas ?

Sorry for the thread drift …

Places that would make kids have this expression: [wow.gif]

Like others have said, Napa can be more difficult for kids. But really it depends on the age of the children, how many you are taking with you, how well behaved they are and what they are interested in. At 11 months, my daughter went to many wineries with us. At 2-3, we have not taken her on our wine trips as she probably would not enjoy them. Now that she is 4, she seems interested in some of the places we talk about and asks if she can go see them someday.
I will add that she is not the normal 4 year old. She is very well mannered and has a lot of patience. (did not get either from me)

With all of that I would recommend places like the castle and Coppola as they are family friendly. Some smaller places, you should just ask when you call to set up an appt. We went to Lagier Meredith and had a great time, for instance. Quivira in Dry Creek is another nice place for kids. The can go look at the garden and chickens and such. Places that have food are good too. My daughter loves cheese, nuts and salami. So, we would go to places like Gloria Ferrer and get a charcuterie plate.

Older children or teens that are into art or architecture would love Hess, Quixote and Darioush, for instance. Go up to Pride, tour through the cave, then buy a bottle and picnic. People who say “don’t take the kids” either do not have well behaved children or just do not know how to capture their interests.

I appreciate the recommendations and will pass them along. Thanks.

I haven’t been asked but, in case it’s helpful, how about a recommendation for a kid friendly and affordable restaurant? Pizzeria Tra Vigne comes to mind. Any others?

Ok, maybe the geyser. [snort.gif] In all seriousness, we were just out there a couple months ago and I can’t even recall even seeing children, at all. It’s just not that kind of place. Do they even let kids into the tasting rooms?