TN:2012 Brunello di Montalcino "Il Poggione" (Lavinio Franchesi)

I was dining at a Florence establishment and this was suggested. At 50 euro in the restaurant.
This is A+ Brunello!

2012 Brunello di Montalcino "Il Poggione"
The nose is a mix of dark cherry type red fruit and a complex mix of herbs. Hard to describe in words. Took about 15 to 30 minutes to evolve.
A seamless palate of red fruit that finishes with a complex mix of spices. A sublime mixture of elements. This could turn me into a collector of Brunello.

Hope you are having a great time. Nice note! Stay away from these Italian wines [basic-smile.gif]

Yes, Don, hope you’re enjoying the trip. Il Poggione—always quality and reliable Brunello.

I like Il Poggione, Don. I had a knockout bottle of their 2001 Riserva not long ago. And their Rosso is nothing to sneeze at, although, interestingly, the 2012 is readier than the '06.

We had a bottle of 2011 Salvioni Brunello last night that was good but not great to me. It may be closed . The nose was nice and the palate was very precise. It just never took off. Maybe wrong time.

The Il Poggione 2012 on the other hand…

Also had a 99 Col d’Orcia off a list at Da Burde (great food here) for 35 euro. Very good! Starting to show some older notes. A little VA that blew off quickly. Rich and spicy but still with that cherry red fruit core. Great finish.