Ageing Rose & Decanting Rose

Curious to put some thoughts out to the board. We opened a bottle of Whispering Angel the other night. Didn’t finish it and tried it again after leaving in the fridge over night. It was much more put together the next day, and much smoother and more pleasant to drink. That got me thinking, do young rose benefit from a decant perhaps?

Also, we opened a bottle of 2014 Stony Hill Rose. Can decide it needs to age further, or if it’s already over the hill. Anyone have experience with ageing rose for say 5 to 10 years? Does the wine get any better?

I do not decant Rose but do find it needs just a little breathing to blossom.

A lot of it depends on which variety they have used to make the Rose, I have been stashing magnums of Tempier away as an experiment, Tempier use Mouverdre and I believe they can take some age, I dont know if aged Rose gets better or just different. I will report back in about 5 years

Hey Marcus, I’ll save you the suspense buddy - TN: 2012 Domaine Tempier Rose - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Damn impressive how well the 2012 was drinking from magnum a couple months ago (actually ‘half magnum’ as I had coravind part of it the year earlier). Not sure if I liked it more than a recent vintage…but it was still really tasty and while still somewhat ‘fresh’…had more nuance to it than a new release.

Also drank the rest of a 2014 magnum a few weeks ago that was also solid.

Long story short…Tempier rose can age, and is still very enjoyable 5 years later.

Thanks Rich, very helpful, I normally let my tempiers sit for a year before drinking them anyway, just finished the 14s, yet to crack a 15. its the only Rose for me, and I really enjoy their single vineyard reds with enough age they are pretty good

I think most good rose is better the year after it’s released and some are better 2+ years down the line. Some, like the Clos Cibonne Vignettes, seem to be able to age really well, though they turn into different beasts than “fresher” styled wines (the 2009 was really spectacular last fall).

Also, I’m in the “don’t be afraid to decant” camp, but that’s true for most wines to me. If you pop and pour and the bottle starts to hit its stride 2+ hours in and keeps improving, to me that means that you should probably splash decant it. Red/white/rose/whatever.

Well, tondonia. Musar.

And does billecart-salmon rose count? :stuck_out_tongue: