Which Chenin Blanc are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#101 Post by Brad Kane » July 2nd, 2017, 10:45 am

Had an '02 Huet Le Mont Demi-Sec, '05 Huet Clos Du Bourg Demi-Sec and a '95 Coulee De Serrant Savennieres Moelleux yesterday. The '02 started of pretty well, but over time it started to dropoff and show some pox. The '05 was lovely in the '05 way, a bit big boned and soft due to the vintage. I've never liked '95s from Joly as this was big into the oxidative style and the sugar just makes it weird. It also had a bitter botrytis finish. Not for me.
Last edited by Brad Kane on July 11th, 2018, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itb.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Rich Brown » July 11th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Rich Brown wrote:2014 Huet Clos Du Bourg, Demi-sec. Young but so damn tasty on a 118 degree AZ weekend. Complex citrus and that amazing huet mouth-feel with some sweetness on the finish to carry it home. Still can't decide if it like the sec or demi more. Guess it just depends on my mood that day
Bump

Crushed another one of these today. Delicious. Really young for sure but so enjoyable. Medium + bodied, citrus, apple, and fresh wool dipped in honey. Not lacking in acidity but could maybe use a touch more. At this stage I actually preferred it a bit colder than most of my whites, as it felt a little heavy as it warmed in the glass. No harm opening one now to capture the youthful exuberance, but this wine has a long, bright future ahead of it.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Chenin Blanc are you drinking?

#103 Post by M. Dildine » December 1st, 2018, 3:50 pm

Tasted an ‘07 Chalone Estate last week. From old vines, absolutely fresh, vibrant, focused and delicious. Best Chenin I’ve ever tasted.
Cheers,

Mike

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 1st, 2018, 4:47 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
July 1st, 2017, 10:52 am
Had a 2010 Chidaine Choisilles last night that was drinking superb. That followed the 2008 from a few weeks ago that blew my mind in how good it was. I saved a glass for this afternoon so I can retaste it and then I'll add a TN. What Chidaine is doing with Chenin is really special to me.
Chidaine seems to have a reputation for reliability similar to Joly. Pre acquisition of the Pontiawski vineyards the Chidaine wines seemed more reliable. Pontiawski seemed known as a relatively unreliable producer with excellent vineyards prior to selling to Chidaine, but the promise hasn’t seemed fulfilled.
Frank I’d like to get your take on more recent vintages.

Vikrant Rachakonda

#105 Post by Vikrant Rachakonda » December 2nd, 2018, 7:32 am

Huet Le Mont 2017 Moelleux
Nicholas Joly 2007 Le Clos

Jayson Cohen

#106 Post by Jayson Cohen » December 2nd, 2018, 2:02 pm

2016 Huet Le Mont Demi-sec a few weeks ago was classically delicious with perfectly integrated and vibrant structure, on par with the 2014 for long-term potential but airier and lighter on its feet, and is still available on both coasts in the US.

It’s creeped up in price, but year-in, year-out, you are getting the best DS Chenin in the world IMO.

Robert Panzer

#107 Post by Robert Panzer » December 2nd, 2018, 3:05 pm

Drank an '08 Chidaine Clos Habert with family tonight.
Outstanding in its freshness, precision, and balance between fruit, unobtrusive RS, dry extract, and acidity.
Still just a puppy, with zero rush whatsoever. This will go quite the distance.
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

Jayson Cohen

#108 Post by Jayson Cohen » December 2nd, 2018, 3:53 pm

Robert Panzer wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 3:05 pm
Outstanding in its freshness, precision, and balance between fruit, unobtrusive RS, dry extract, and acidity.
Robert, thanks for this report. I kick myself for missing the ‘08s. If you ever source this as a back vintage release, please give a holler on Commerce Corner or PM.

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Vince T » December 3rd, 2018, 9:44 am

Robert Panzer wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 3:05 pm
Still have a couple bottles of this... When I had one earlier this year, it was excellent on day 1 but had fallen apart on day 2.

Separately, I had a '17 Dirty & Rowdy Chenin Blanc last week, and found it very light bodied, grassy and lacking in Chenin Blanc signatures - would have guessed SB!
T s 3 n g

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Michae1 P0wers » December 3rd, 2018, 5:05 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 4:47 pm
Frank Murray III wrote:
Had a 2010 Chidaine Choisilles last night that was drinking superb. That followed the 2008 from a few weeks ago that blew my mind in how good it was. I saved a glass for this afternoon so I can retaste it and then I'll add a TN. What Chidaine is doing with Chenin is really special to me.
Chidaine seems to have a reputation for reliability similar to Joly. Pre acquisition of the Pontiawski vineyards the Chidaine wines seemed more reliable. Pontiawski seemed known as a relatively unreliable producer with excellent vineyards prior to selling to Chidaine, but the promise hasn’t seemed fulfilled.
'08s and '10s were great. There are some threads here about the '14s. Many have reported problems with these wines, myself included. I won't buy again until reliable information says the situation is under control.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Russ Williams » December 3rd, 2018, 7:44 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 2:02 pm
2016 Huet Le Mont Demi-sec a few weeks ago was classically delicious with perfectly integrated and vibrant structure, on par with the 2014 for long-term potential but airier and lighter on its feet, and is still available on both coasts in the US.

It’s creeped up in price, but year-in, year-out, you are getting the best DS Chenin in the world IMO.
Hard to argue with that sentiment.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Rich Brown » March 15th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Seriously, is there a better value in the white wine world than Huet?? Delicious wine full of waxy, citrus fruits, bruised apples and a perfect streak of honey-laden acidity across the finish. Medium+ bodied goodness that is sure to leave a smile on your face while making you think at the same time. So happy to have more of this.

[media] [/media]

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by M. Dildine » March 15th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Sandlands ‘17 “California” tonight. Vibrant, cut and tasty!
Cheers,

Mike

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Rich Brown » March 15th, 2019, 5:38 pm

M. Dildine wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 5:36 pm
Niiiiice Mike! Can always count on you for an early look at some of the wines I dig the most :)

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by B. Buzzini » March 15th, 2019, 5:42 pm

M. Dildine wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 5:36 pm
Me too! Right off the truck, right now. Was worried at first as the cork smelled of taint? Is this going to be the fastest flawed wine in history? Nah...the wine is super!
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Jim Brennan

#116 Post by Jim Brennan » March 16th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 4:47 pm
Frank Murray III wrote:
Tom, your phrasing here might be a bit confusing. Are you stating that you perceive that Chidaine was more reliable before the addition of the Pontiawski vineyards, and that his wines have taken a dip in quality thereafter?

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by B. Buzzini » March 22nd, 2019, 12:06 pm

First I saw "Chenin Blanc from Clarksburg California"...intrigued...as I'm a huge fan of the Chenin Blanc's Sandlands produces from the sandy soils of the central valley ca.(where I live)...and back in the day, use to drink TONS of the summer gulping Chenin Blanc/Viognier that Pine Ridge Vineyards makes from Clarksburg, Ca. THEN...I see this wine is from our very own, Burgundy aficionado, WILLIAM KELLEY! [wow.gif] Sold! Where do I buy some?
  • 2017 Beau Rivage Chenin Blanc - USA, California, Central Valley, Clarksburg (3/21/2019)
    Shimmering pale gold/green tinge color...floral and tropical, banana skin wax, crushed chalk, lanolin oil, cool sea breeze nose. Little shy at first on the palate...showing waxy pitted and tropical fruits, with a refreshingly zippy citrus cut...a lovely subtlety and savory chalkiness, classic lanolin and wax. With 30mins of air it has creamed up really nice, almost an oily texture now, yet still obtaining super fresh tartness, staunch minerality, and pretty florals. What harmony for such a youngster...and it REALLY gains on you after the first glass! Super impressed! (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Howard Cooper » March 22nd, 2019, 1:15 pm

Had a 1995 Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon last night. Color was good for a wine this old. Did not look like it was premoxed, taste like it was premoxed or smell like it was premoxed. But, the fruit was largely gone and there was not really enough to replace it. In other words, the wine was over the hill.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Eric Sch

#119 Post by Eric Sch » March 22nd, 2019, 1:17 pm

Needed a wine to drink while designing the cellar layout for our new home on Tuesday evening, so I pulled a Chidaine NV Method Traditionelle bubbly. Such a unique wine, I really enjoy it. Lots of round lightly bruised yellow fruit, some Asian pear, and waxy lanolin, with a little bit of oxidation. So different than our usual Champagnes but very pleasing on its own, no food needed. Had no problem finishing the bottle with help from the Mrs. I look forward to filling the new cellar later this summer!
Scheffeln

Return to “Wine Talk”