Anderson Valley Pinot Noir Festival- May 19-21

I attended the Pinot Festival and it was great. It seemed like every day I tasted wines that were better than the day before.
I started the festival Friday Night at The Bewildered Pig. An outstanding meal, prepared by Jannelle, and wines from Black Kite Cellars. We had an outstanding 2014 Gap’s Crown Sonoma Coast Chardonnay with the lightest fish dish. We then had 2 kinds of pork, a ribeye steak dish and finally a cheese tart that was to die for. All these courses were served with a different 2013 Point Noir (River Turn, Stony Terrace, and Redwood’s Edge). After the meal we moved to their patio and were served a special Barrel Select Black Kite Pinot Noir while desserts were passed. Fantastic food and wonderful wines.

The next day at the Grand Tasting took place at Golden Eye Winery. The large tent was in the middle of the vineyards and the Grower’s Assn. had gathered over 50 Wineries to pour their Pinot Noir’s. While the number of wineries was intimidating food was also supplied as part of the tasting. I did my best but I think I only made it to about 20 of the wineries that were there. Highlights were Balo, Elke, Handley, Littorai, Harmonique, Maggy Hawk, and Waits-Mast to name a few. So many outstanding wines.

Some of the food to help you get through the tasting included, locally sourced cheeses, some outstanding smoked salmon, gourmet pizza, coffee, and the highlight was something called a Lamb Lollipop. It was a marinated lamb chop with eggplant, onion, and other spices. It was fun to watch the visitors walk around chewing on a whole lamb chop. Wow, that was good!

Saturday night I attended a winemakers dinner at Scharffenberger Cellars. We started the evening with a series of Amuse-bouche with Scharffenberger Brut Rose. A wonderful scallop broth with a Waits-Mast Pinot Noir, a duck leg with foie gras served with 2 Pinot Noir’s from Domaine Anderson 2013 Pinoli Pinot Noir, and a 2010 Harmonique Elegance Pinot Noir. Then extra age on this wine made it the hit of the evening. I was also lucky enough to sit next to the owner of Harmonique and her winemaker. We finished the evening with a salad course and Scharffenbergers Blanc de Blanc.

Finally on Sunday nearly all the wineries that participated in the Grand Tasting had an Open House and I made it to a couple of wineries I especially liked.

I would highly recommend this wine festival. A wonderful spot, friendly people, and great wine. I may have to figure out how to get back next year. [cheers.gif]

Crud and crud! I meant to go!

Damn, life flies past.

Thanks for the lovely note…next year for me! [cheers.gif]