Retailer Check: Total Wine for 16 BDX futures

Anyone buy Bordeaux futures with these guys before? Wondering if they produce and provenance ok? They offer 50% down for 16 BDX futures which seems appealing, but I got burned from PC so a bit hesitant

Appreciate thoughts/comments, thanks

Program just started in 15, if I am not mistaken, so it is unlikely anyone can give personal experience about delivery. They are the 1,000 lb gorilla in the wine biz though that has been expanding recently. That tells me (a) bureaucracy; and (b) somewhat less likely that a mom-and-pop to go belly up owing you wine. In the post-PC era, that plus the 50% down policy make it attractive. They have also been offering 375s of most wines with minimal upcharge

They failed to deliver several different 2014 375s I ordered. I mean they refunded me, but couldn’t deliver. Don’t know if this was a one-off or indicative of a more pervasive sourcing problem.

That’s disappointing. Had to be the very first wins they offered; maybe that explains it; One hopes they have this better orchestrated now

I got all my 2014s that I ordered (six cases). However, there were a few annoyances that prevented me from using them again. First, the wines were shipped to me loose instead of in their boxes. I know that that isn’t a big deal but I bought in case amounts so I was expecting unopened OWCs but I did not get them that way which is confusing to me since that’s how they come in the first place (why take them out?)! Also, I had to go to the store a bunch of times because they would tell me the wines were ready for pickup but they were not. It seems like there was a lot of confusion between the concierge guys and the store. That was annoying because I had to go to the store a bunch of times.

The program actually started in 2014 and they were doing both 2012 and 2013 vintage. So it has been going for a little while. However, their 12 and 13 offers were in very small quantities and for a very limited number of producers (like a dozen or so). Also, you had to call in to order (no online orders).

I used these guys for my '14 futures. The 50% down is attractive and the risk they go away a la PC is minimal. I did, however, run into the same OWC issue Anthony mentioned above. They sent a case to a store loose rather than in wood even though I had specifically requested so originally at purchase. They were able to swap out the loose bottles for unopened wood eventually so credit to them for rectifying.

I would use them again save for the fact that BDX pricing is now through the roof so I have dialed back on en primeur.

I used them for '14 EP and had no issue getting the wines. I love the 50% down and pay the rest later concept. Customer service has always been top notch. You can cancel your order at any time also and get your money back. All wins to me,…

I’ve only had one delivery from them thus far - 2014 Capbern ordered on futures. Was super easy, efficient. I, also, LOVE the 50% down program - likely gets me to spend more money.

I order futures from several places - Wine Cellarage, Zachys (no longer - they take FAR too long), JJ Buckley, and Total Wine

Futures are unsecured loans, treat them as such when choosing your counterparty.

All merchants pay Bordeaux in tranches, I’m surprised more don’t match that for their clients.

I’m right there with Todd. Not only will I end up buying more, but I will buy more expensive bottles. The ability to pay in 2 installments is quite nice.