Bird-related Wine Corks!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Gila Gatewood

Re: Bird-related Wine Corks!

#151 Post by Gila Gatewood »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:22 pm Gila-

Dropping the Screagle and this Owl corkscrew in the mail tomorrow, please PM me your address.
A545C257-DE0F-40A7-8413-108BF4DF6503.jpeg
It amuses me.

Thanks to Roberto, I now have two Screaming Eagle corks in my house! The first was from Berserker's own David just a few years ago.
Roberto's (NOW MINE) is shown here.
For those of you who'd like to read more about this iconic winery... www.screamingeagle.com
The Screaming Eagle Winery and Vineyards is a California wine estate producing limited amounts of varietal wine. Due to the excellent quality, small quantities produced and high prices commanded, their wines are considered the ultimate "cult" wines by most authorities. The place is located in Oakville, north of the town of Napa in the Napa Valley. The "subcriptions" to these wines are sold out for years, and the secondary market prices are sky-high. I am absolutely thrilled to own these two corkalicious beauties.
Now, as to the corkscrew, I know there is a variety of brands, styles and vintages of these critters. I have some online buddies who have knowledge about barware. I'm going to run this by them, since I always love to learn more about stuff. I'll report back.
Thanks, Roberto, thanks!!

Dave McIsaac
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Dave McIsaac »

Who's this Roberto cat? Please tell us he isn't pulling his Cuban schtick on ya....... [snort.gif]
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#153 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Dave McIsaac wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 3:56 pm Who's this Roberto cat? Please tell us he isn't pulling his Cuban schtick on ya....... [snort.gif]
Hey hey, adding that “O” at the end of my name is very critical to establishing my Cuban credentials! It’s the Cubanization of my very being! Don’t let Jorge kid you otherwise. He’s more white than I am! I’m the real deal.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

Gila Gatewood

#154 Post by Gila Gatewood »

Okay, here's the scoop. Two scoops, actually.
1 - I have a very persistent habit of nicknaming people.
2 - I am half Mexican, and tend to Mexicanize things... names, foods, greetings...
So now we have Roberto and... how about El Dave-o?
Thank you for your tolerance and good cheer, amigos.
[inquisition.gif]
[Oh, is that a perfect smilie or WHAT?]

Gila Gatewood

#155 Post by Gila Gatewood »

Adolfo H wrote: April 29th, 2021, 8:27 am I'll add to your flock! We'll get one of these dropped in the mail for you.
monroy cork.jpg

Well, thank you, Adolfo. The two corks that I just received are beauties.
Friends, the story behind these corks (and the wines) is a really great one!!!. https://www.monroywines.com/ It involves a fairytale romance, a globe-trotting wine journey, and an exciting new development in small-batch history (Adolfo was heralded by Wine Enthusiast Magazine as one of the Latinx experts changing the face of American wine. You have GOT to explore this site if you love clever story-telling full of humor, energy, and good times. I just want to know more about the artistry (and perhaps ornithology) behind the logo. David suggests a Rresplendent Quetzel. Isn't it stunning??

Well, thank you, Adolfo. The two corks that I just receied are beauties.
Friends, the story behind these corks (and the wines) is a really great one!!!. https://www.monroywines.com/ It involves a fairytale romance, a globe-trotting wine journey, and an exciting new development in small-batch history (Adolfo was heralded by Wine Enthusiast Magazine as one of the Latinx experts changing the face of American wine). You have GOT to explore this site if you love clever story-telling full of humor, energy, and good times. I just want to know more about the artistry (and perhaps ornithology) behind the logo. David suggests a Rresplendent Quetzel. Isn't it stunning?? Many thanks, Adolfo.

Gila Gatewood

#156 Post by Gila Gatewood »

Paul Jaouen wrote: April 27th, 2021, 6:18 am Gila, need any of these?
4063B4A8-D6C2-4522-855A-4BAC3FC1E653.jpeg

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, what a windfall!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul, your generosity is so very much appreciated.
My four new lovelies...

The Quail Ridge cork has a beautiful logo of a sweet pair of quail. I love it. I didn't have an example, so I enjoyed learning about the brand. The husband is a Hollywood director and she is a self-starting, self-made chardonnay expert in Napa Valley! It's a great success story and a delightful romance, too. https://www.goldmedalwineclub.com/winer ... valley-ava

Marziano Abbona is a very well-respected new winery in Italy. Nope, I didn't have this cork either. https://www.abbona.com/en/ Their site says "Built beginning in 2004 and inaugurated in 2006, the winery of Marziano Abbona is an ode to the hills of Dogliani. Located in the village of San Luigi in the center of a natural amphitheater of hills, at its back is a large, man-made pond, behind which the Alpine mountains are outlined along the horizon on clear days." Each variety has a different bird species. Wouldn't I love to have the all?? Yes, I would. This winery is on my hot hit list. Oh, dear Berserkers, won't you drink all these? I am too poor!

I already have one Paloma, but this one is a little different, and I'm glad to have both. https://www.palomavineyard.com/ From their St. Helen's (CA) site: "My parents, Barbara and Jim, always had an interest in wine, both in its making and its consumption, and in food and gardening. In 1980, they were living in Midland, Texas, and began thinking about a retirement home. They decided to start looking for a small property in the Napa Valley where they could build a home and plant a small vineyard. This dream was realized in 1983 when a friend of theirs, Dan Duckhorn, called and told them about the property now known as Paloma Vineyard. When you operate and vineyard and winery, you never retire!"

This last cork is a special thrill for me. https://www.valckenberg.com/en/ Talk about history... merchants and importers since 1786? Yes, please! Various sites combine to describe Weingut P.J. Valckenberg and its more than 500-year-old vineyards, located in the heart of the Nibelung Town of Worms on the banks of the Rhine. Founded in 1786, the house of P.J. Valckenberg has more than two centuries of experience in bottling and exporting fine German wines. In the late Middle Ages, Worms was a crossroads of the great trade routes and a site of important ecclesiastical and imperial decisions. It was also a popular layover for Christian/Catholic pilgrims heading south. They prayed before the statue of the Madonna and refreshed themselves in the monastery with the wine the canons produced from the Liebfrauen vineyard. As such, the wine's fame was virtually predestined to spread far beyond the borders of Worms. What a noble addition this cork is to my humble collection. Very cool.

Paul, thank you again, thank you!

Adolfo H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by Adolfo H »

Very sweet of you Gila, thank you!

My background is Guatemalan; hence the quetzal.
...ernandez

ITB; Monroy Wines among others

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#158 Post by Philip G »

Gila Gatewood wrote: April 24th, 2021, 11:18 am
Philip G wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 7:16 am What a fun hobby, my wife will love this, she likes birds on things too.

Haven't seen a recent list but do you have Domaine du Colombier?

I like their label too. And their wine!

Looks like you're onto St Cosme, I know their Coté Rôtie has a bird on the label which is partly why I picked up a bottle for my wife:

I can send you the Colombier corks if you don't have them. Is the Orange Village, OH address still good?
Oh, I would absolutely love those corks. I do collect multiples of particularly nice ones, and often there's a subtle difference in design or logo from year to year. I (and my two fellow collectors) notice these things!!!!!!!!
Yep, Orange address it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just put your Colombier corks in the mail today and included a couple of "extras" (not quite bird corks).

Cheers!
Chip G@@d

Gila Gatewood

#159 Post by Gila Gatewood »

Adolfo H wrote: May 7th, 2021, 8:12 am Very sweet of you Gila, thank you!

My background is Guatemalan; hence the quetzal.
It's all too divine... cheers to you, and my compliments to your lovely (and lucky) wife, too. It's been a delight to connect with you and learn about your wine.

Gila Gatewood

#160 Post by Gila Gatewood »

Philip G wrote: May 7th, 2021, 10:27 am
Gila Gatewood wrote: April 24th, 2021, 11:18 am
Philip G wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 7:16 am What a fun hobby, my wife will love this, she likes birds on things too.
Haven't seen a recent list but do you have Domaine du Colombier?
I like their label too. And their wine!
Looks like you're onto St Cosme, I know their Coté Rôtie has a bird on the label which is partly why I picked up a bottle for my wife:
I can send you the Colombier corks if you don't have them. Is the Orange Village, OH address still good?
Oh, I would absolutely love those corks. I do collect multiples of particularly nice ones, and often there's a subtle difference in design or logo from year to year. I (and my two fellow collectors) notice these things!!!!!!!!
Yep, Orange address it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just put your Colombier corks in the mail today and included a couple of "extras" (not quite bird corks).

Cheers!
I am really looking forward to getting the Colombiers, AND the surprises.
I do have in my collection some not-quite bird corks... my favorite is a Sorentberg wine... their logo is a fossil common to local hillsides... "spinocertia', which has "wings".
Anyway, thanks. I'll be on the lookout.

Gila Gatewood

#161 Post by Gila Gatewood »

Ay carumba, Chris, ay caraumba. What a haul.

May I chat you up about each brand? I love sharing thoughts about my acquisitions.
Here are brands that I already have, so these will be "multiples", which I save, in case... well, just in case.
Left to right...
Tefft - LOVE that cork from Yakima Valley in Washington. http://tefftcellars.com/our-story/ That heron is one of the most beautiully-drawn birds ever. The logo really captures the neck hook of the bird's posture. They make a variety of wines, and have a beautiful tasting room and guest house that would make a fabulous vacation. Definitely on my fantasy list.
Kestrel - also in the Yakima area. They say they have kestrel birdhouses (and kestrels) all over their property and vineyards! Great backstory... they've been around since the mid-90s. https://kestrelwines.com/
Ravenswood from California - absolutely delightful website https://www.ravenswoodwinery.com/ From the site - "On a fall day in 1976, as ravens taunted from tree branches above, Joel Peterson worked doggedly to bring in four tons of grapes before a looming thunderstorm hit. The fruit he crushed that night was used for one of two single-vineyard Sonoma County Zins – the first wines to bear Ravenswood’s signature ring of ravens".
Severino - Yakima Valley http://www.severinocellars.com/about-us.html Their logo is a very elegant, stylized (Native American?) bird... a raven? I'm curious. From the website - "The Severino logo, "Love Birds in the Sun", signifies how our winery came to be. The birds represent the unity of our two families through marriage and the sun represents the Yakima Valley. Our dream of opening a winery began in 2004. After getting the rest of the family equally motivated, we took the plunge."

And here are the corks that are new to me.

Corvus - https://corvuswine.com/ From Yountville, California. MANNN, I wish their corks bore the same raven as their labels! It's a beautiful silhouette with vibrant action of a bird landing.
Odonata - https://www.odonatawines.com/our-story Well, Chris, mi amigo, it turns out that Odonata is (according to mi amigo Google) the insect family of dragonflies. I have a dear girlfriend who collects dragonfly stuff such as jewelry brooches and figurines. With your permission, I'll let her have this cork. I'm sure she'll be delighted with it.
Angel Vine - https://angelvine.net/ What a well-done website - very explanatory and engaging, with some enjoyable spiritual elements about the owner's wine-making journey... hence the angel reference. Hey, angels have wings, which they got from birds, and the cork is so beautiful... I'm keeping this one!!!! My sister-in-law collects angels, but... MINE, MINE, MINE.
Columbia Winery https://www.columbiawinery.com/ From their site: "As Washington’s original premium winery, Columbia Winery is entrusted to continue our 50-year-old legacy of discovering and celebrating exceptional Washington wine." The bird on this beautiful cork is a tiny, terrific rooster on a weather vane. It would be easy to miss, but once you spot it (good eyes, Chris) you'll love it. Tastings, classes, and large events are offered. There's a really intriguing backstory about the people involved in this business over the years; Gallo now owns it. Anywayyyyyyyyyy, that little rooster is one of my favorites, with his puffed-out chest and tossed-back head... he really looks as if he's mid-crow. Love him. I didn't (yet?) find a reference to him on the site, but I didn't finish reading.

Thank you, Chris. I spent a great evening with my new flock additions. Absolutely great. I'm a bit physically disabled, so I don't travel much, and reading about the stories of my corks is a fun way to tour the country and the world.
It must be funny for wine afficionados to hear ramblings of somebody who's focused on corks... bird corks, no less. I'm an artist, specializing in pet portraits, especially pet birds, and I am always drawn to birds anywhere, anytime. Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...
Gracias, gracias y mas gracias.[/size][/b]
Last edited by Gila Gatewood on May 8th, 2021, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jen M a s o n
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#162 Post by Jen M a s o n »

I have so enjoyed reading this thread!

Gila Gatewood

#163 Post by Gila Gatewood »

Jen, you just touched my heart. This site is a blessing in many ways, isn't it? Yes, it is!

Return to “Wine Talk”