TN: 2012 Domaine Olivier Hillaire Châteauneuf-du-Pape

• 2012 Domaine Olivier Hillaire Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/7/2017)
    Last of six bottles purchased on release in 2014. All have been good, but this definitely showed the benefit of a few years of age. Classic CNdP notes of black cherry, pepper, and garrigue. A little hot at 14.5% ABV, and my guess is this isn’t going to benefit from much more time in the cellar. Based on this bottle, the wine has entered a prime drinking window. Granting a relatively high score due to the excellent QPR at $40/btl. This is at least as good as other CNdPs that cost substantially more. Over the lot of bottles, the wine paired very well with duck, mushroom-based soups, and farro. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This is a quite modern producer, Cambie-influenced … and I think only existing for 10 years …

I´ve tasted several vintages (2007/09/10 …) but only young, so I don´t know how it ages.
The “Petite Pieds d´Armand” from old vines had two times problems with volatile acidity and post-fermentation … so I´m not really sure how consistant the wine-making ist … but I very much enjoy their Cotes-du-Rhone (VV or Reserve?), which is also modern but a good everyday drink … the 2012 is still fine (for the price) … so if the 2012 CdP won´t improve it will at least keep for a while …

Hi Gerhard,

One vintage is the 2007 (which I had to return), but what is the other vintage?

Peter

I had a bad (volatile) bottle of 2009 Petits Pieds …

Thanks!