Best place to purchase in phoenix/scottsdale area

New to the area. Haven’t been impressed with total wine or Costco. Anyone have any reccos? Place with a personal touch would be great. TYIA

Despite being a grocery store, the two guys who run the wine department at AJ’s on Central and Camelback are ok; not great, but not horrible; domestic is better than imports

Check out The Wine Store on Camelback and 32nd st. Jordan will take great care of you. Side note, the tavern next store and Tarbells next to that are great spots to eat and have nice wine selections (all owned by Mark Tarbell, who also owns The Wine Store). The tavern is really unique for AZ in that you can buy a bottle at The Wine Store, and bring it over with no corkage (essentially no BYO in AZ so this is pretty sweet).

AZ Wine Co on Scottsdale rd around Thomas has a solid selection and decent prices. Not sure on the ‘personal touch’ aspect but good wines.

Terroir on Scottsdale and Indian Bend is decent, but a distant 3rd and prices are high.

Scottsdale Costco is usually pretty strong (zero personal touch obviously)

And there’s always Total Wine…which honestly has some of the best selection around and competitive prices…but it’s nice to support the local shops when ya can!

Ha! Totally missed your comment on Total Wine and Costco. So I guess you can go ahead and ignore my comments on those places (although sadly TW really does have probably the best selection across the board here in town)

Sounds like another state that you need to have wine shipped to you.

Ty for replies. Like I said I’m new to the desert area and I really worry about shipping.

I’ll check out those places.

Btw i thought the scottsdale costco selection wasn’t all that good. Maybe a bad day but the one im glendale was better.

Phoenix Wine at Shea/Scottsdale has some interesting selections and surprisingly low prices.

Yeah man, it’s been kinda weak lately. My only thought it because snowbirds leave in the summer so I bet their wine sales go down and they stock accordingly.

Shipping is just fine from November though most of April and maybe a lucky weeks in May. Probably ship 85% of the wine i purchase.

And welcome to AZ!

I’ve been in PHX for about 10 yrs now.
80-90% of my wine purchases are shipped in (Crush, Chambers St, WHWC, RWC, direct from CA producers)
The rest is from AZ Wine Co, a new shop in Tempe Bottle Shop 48, that stocks some D&R and an assortment of other goodies, or from AZ producers.
Oh, and when Fry’s has their regular 30% sale and I usually use that to grab some Ridge Geyserville.

Thanks Bill, wasn’t familiar with Bottle Shop 48. Looks like I’ll be heading down to Tempe this week :slight_smile:

Second for Phoenix Wine of Scottsdale at Scottsdale Rd. and Shea NW corner.

No kidding? Is there online wine list accurate do you know? That’s always kept me from checking it out.

I don’t think their online list is accurate.

It’s been our local for a decade. You should stop in and talk to Andrea about what you like. Going on a Saturday afternoon when they have a tasting can be problematic.

Sounds good Joe - I’ll definitely check it out.

Cheers!

That’s a tight shipping window.