TN: Dujac Pere et Fils 2013 Chambolle-Musigny

Lovely wine. I know the vintage is expensive in a wider context, but the good 13s remind me in ways of 00 and 08, which were vintages that weren’t widely embraced, but turned out pretty good in the mid-term. The best 13s have a freshness and intensity that makes them pretty. There’s not the depth of true greatness, but there’s room in my life still for good, young Burgundy like this, particularly with a prime flatiron steak.

Unlike most of my youthful Dujac experiences, this doesn’t show a lot of whole cluster notes (I think Dujac does whole cluster well). Aromas of raspberry, red cherry and strawberry, with hints of earth and flowers. Fresh, crisp acidity and a little tannin give this young structure. This is on the lighter, feminine side of Chambolle - it’s the terroir stereotype in a good way. Juicy, sappy mid-palate and good length. Again, lacks the concentration and intensity of a great year, but so what?

A lovely drink.

Great note, Jim - seems like Chambolle did particularly well in 2013.

Quick Q: if it lacks intensity and concentration of a great year. Why is 2013 expensive in general?

Mark,

Demand and yields.

It sucks, but 2013 was relatively mingy in quantity, so there wasn’t a lot of wine. And a lot of people want Burgundy, so the demand was there. Bear in mind that the people who look intently at vintages are a minority of Burgundy consumers.

There were basically no market forces to push prices down deeply.

IMO the Pere et Fils bottling is usually much less concentrated and intense than the Domaine bottling. It’s a striking difference actually and the pricing isn’t too different.

The 2010 Domaine Chambolle Musigny is gorgeous and while priced like a 1er it also drinks at a top 1er level.

+1 and the Pere bottling has a lot less stems and much gentler/shorter extraction. I don’t wanna say apples and oranges but quite…

And neither 00 or 08 have been particularly enjoyable in my book in the medium term: the 00 is probably one of the weakest vintage of the last 20 years (if you leave out the weirdo vintages of 03 and 04) and the 08 is good only at higher praedikats where more stuffing/matiére contrasts the brimming acidity… That said I own a boat load of 2013 that just like 08 I hope they will soften with time…

The 00 Dujac CSD and CDLR are drinking very nicely now and in a great spot.

13 seems a bit harsh and an easy pass for me with 14 being cheaper than 13.

I agree with paragraph one after trying a few years of Domaine against negoce. This wine clinched it for me.

Hard for me to agree about 00 and 08. I will grant I don’t think either are “great,” but there are lots of enjoyable wines that are outlasting predictions. For me.

[scratch.gif] Any examples? Dismissing entire Burgundy vintages eases buying decisions, but makes for a much less interesting cellar and drinking. As much as I like the 2014s, I expect that there will be periods over the lifespan of the 2013s and 2014s when the 2013s will be drinking better and they will be good choices from the cellar when one is looking for freshness and energy, as is the case with the 2008s.

Not only eases buying decisions but also the wallet. I’ve learned there is no need to chase every vintage.

There’s no need to chase any vintage. There are lots really good, non-trophy wines available in all vintages.

True. I haven’t “chased” a Red Burg vintage since 05. I think there are vintages that will appeal to certain parts of the wide Burg palate more than others. I really don’t like 06, but I feel like I’m one of the few voices who REALLY doesn’t like 06 much (though I do own a few wines).

Tasting young, I am more 13 than 14 so far.

But I like some 14s.

Damn it, it’s complicated.

Jim,

I am in line with your thoughts. I just sounded maybe a bit too harsh.

Kind Regards

F.