TN: 1998 M. Chapoutier Hermitage La Sizeranne (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage)

• 1998 M. Chapoutier Hermitage La Sizeranne - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (6/3/2017)
    P&P. Some really nice floral aromas, very fresh. By no means was this particular bottle over the hill, as other CT experiences have noted. Classical Syrah, smoked meat and fresh blackberries convey a medium bodied palate, classy and elegant. Surprisingly firm tannin and acid are still prevalent, but there is just enough stuffing to keep these in check. Very satisfying finish. All in all, a really enjoyable wine, glad I had held this for a while, but wouldn’t push the drinking window on my last bottle past 5 years from now. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Like this SV a lot. A recent 2004 drank very well and was nowhere near past its prime. Chapoutier has tons of Hermitage/Ermitage SV’s. Any idea how they rank?

Pavillon
l’Ermite
Meal
Les Greffieux
Mure de Larnage
Monier de La Sizeranne

Just curious. Thanks for the note!

I ´d say (rouge):
l’Ermite
Le Pavillon
Le Meal
Les Greffieux
Monier de La Sizeranne
Mure de Larnage

The 1982, 83, 89, 90, 91 Sizerannes are still drinking beautifully (when well kept …) … JFWIW

Mahalo Gerhard! Care to do the whites?

L’Oree
La Meal
L’Ermite
Chante Alouette
Mure de Larnage

Dale, Sorry to hijack!

Is Sizeranne really a vineyard designate? I thought it was a branded catch all blend …

I think you’re right. In 2013 it was a blend from les Bessards, le Méal and les Greffieux.

I had an 89 Sizeranne on maybe the 3rd date with the (future) Mrs. Arv, and it was an oxidized mess. She gamely downed a glass before I could warn her off! I’ve hardly had any since, I’m thinking.

The 99 Northern Rhones are great though. I wish I’d been more into the region when they were released.

I´d say:

L’Ermite
L’Oree
La Meal
Chante Alouette
Mure de Larnage

Sizeranne, Pavillon (red) and Chante Alouette and l´Orée (white) are brands (vineyard selections) … as well as Mure de Larnage (from young vines) …
AND just like La Chapelle by Jaboulet …