UK government wine cellar

You’d think they would know how to spell burgundy, but still an interesting list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/560101/Wine_cellar_stocklist_2015_to_2016.csv/preview

The Brits clearly think very lowly of American wines. One white, and about 6 reds, and none more recent than 2000 (and a poor vintage, that!).

If they know what’s good for them, they’ll add some Trump wines!

Fine as far as it goes, certainly an “enviable” cellar but not terribly imaginative.

Also, I think at least on of these numbers is off:

“33,669 bottles of wine with a market value of around £800,000”

My own stock of far less valuable wines averages over $30/bottle…

Fake wines, sold for real money.

Under the name of a teetotaler.

Just what I’d expect. Respectable and safe.

The C grades are funny. I’d not like to see that as a producer who made those wines.

I wonder what the Aussie gov’ts cellar looks like?

Anyone know what the “U” rating means?

Kosher…

Looks like that was the “cost value.” The estimated market value is considerably higher:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/560103/Wine_Cellar_key_facts_and_figues_2015_to_2016.csv/preview

Looks like quite a bit of reception wines (aka dog crap) popped and repurchased.

Oh to be a statesman of fame, fortune, and power. Um, excuse me Right Honorable Theresa May, do you mind if we pop the 64 Krug before enjoying our 61 Latour with the delightful beef wellington?

Followed by a shot of drambuie.

I wonder if that’s calculated at cost rather than market value.

It also may be that they’ve sold off a lot of the trophy stuff, since the stash is for official entertaining. They sell some things each year, I believe, to cover costs. In 2013 they were auctioning 54 bottles that were expected to fetch £65,000 ($97,000 at the time), or $1,732 a bottle:

Flippers!

Put it on CT!

Good morning Barry.

I don’t know know what the “grades” mean, but if they’re analogous to points, there are some odd ones. Just a few examples:

1989 Angelus B
1990 and 1994 Grand Puy Lacoste both B
2000 Lynch Bages B

I couldn’t find an explanation of the grades on the website, but maybe resale potential is somehow included in the evaluation?

Good list if I were a visiting dignitary and didn’t know where my country stood with the Kingdom.