Elgato Eve Degree.

Heya folks!

I have not kept up on this topic for about a year or so, but, Elgato just released a wireless Apple Home Kit capable temp and humidity monitor

I use the Weather Direct product and appreciate its text alerts, but, the possibility of getting content about my cellar within all of my other connected devices sounds great.

Ordered one and will gladly post about it if no one else takes on the task.

Leslie

I like the idea of being able to get alerts from anywhere, even if I’m on WiFi. How has it worked out for you?

I decided to try the Eve Room for my cellar. We are using Homekit compatible devices for home automation. They are from a variety of manufacturers. The Elgato products are very nice and are reliable. The Eve Room provides temp/humidity/air quality and is accessible from anywhere. This is a much better option than the one I used to use that required a paid subscription.

Very interesting, but missing some key features:

No AC power option, would be great to plug it right into a wall socket.

No WiFi. It’s bluetooth only, so I’m guessing you can only check temp when you’re in proximity to it? I’d like to know when I’m on vacation… and since there is no WiFi, I’m guessing it can’t notify me of changes outside of a preset range?

The Elgato Eve Degree works with Apple Homekit, so I think that as long as you have an Apple TV, you can access this remotely and be notified of any changes when you’re away from home. My only concern is that in a larger home, if your Apple TV is far away from the device, then it might be out of range?

I have one of these and it works okay (via HomeKit connectivity) but the battery only seems to last a month or so, and I get tired of replacing them. I tried rechargeable AA batteries, and those had even worse life, so basically it has become a paperweight.

Wow, had no idea the battery life was so terrible. That is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

For me, HomeKit is a dealbreaker because there are no temperature alerts. Not that they couldn’t be added, but Apple is in the driver’s seat, and they are not currently there. So as it stands I can get a graph of the current temperature history from anywhere in the world, but can’t get an alert when it rises above a certain level. A real shame, since Elgato makes superb hardware and software.

Can you get the alert directly from Elgato’s software?

I changed batteries and just remembered that I can’t get it to connect to one of four Apple TVs—another reason I’m not a fan.

My batteries are lasting longer than a month, so battery life doesn’t bother me. It costs a buck for 2 AA batteries. We have 3 AppleTVs and there is one on each level of the house. The whole house is in Bluetooth range of at least 1 of them. Once I connected everything to one AppleTV, the setup showed up on the others. I think that works with the Gen 4 AppleTV, but not the earlier ones. I did have to log out of my Apple account to get it to recognize everything.

Notifications would be great, but there is no way to do that with the device.