TN: Kiona Lemberger RedMtn '13...(short/boring)

Couldn’t stand the Produttori, so cracked:

1. KionaVnyds Lemberger RedMtn (13.5%; Plntd: 1975; www.KionaWine.com) BentonCity/WA 2013: Med.dark color; strong plummy/boysenberry/pomengranate/Mourv-like some earthy/loamy slight herbal/thyme light vanilla/oak quite attractive nose; soft/fat rich/lush quite plummy/boysenberry/Mourv-like some Zin-like some earthy/loamy/herbal flavor w/ light smooth/gentle tannins; long rather earthy/loamy some plummy/boysenberry/pomengranate light vanilla/oak finish w/ light ripe/soft tannins; some like a Calif Mourv, some like a good Austrian Blaufrankisch w/o the tannic bite; quite a good drinking wine at a great price. $14.00 (SFW&S)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Kiona: Founded in 1980 by JimHolmes & JohnWilliams. Jim used to work at Hanford and would make frequent trips to LosAlamos and did several tastings for my group of Kiona wines around that time. Theirs was the first grape planting on RedMtn in 1976, including Lemberger. In 1994, Jim sold his share in Kiona to focus on his Ciel du Cheval vnyd, regarded as one of the best WashState vnyds.

1. Lemberger: Also known in Austria as Blaufrankisch and as Kekfrankos in Hungary. Originated in Lower (Slovenian) Styria. This Lemberger show the classic earthy/loamy character you typically find in Blaufrankisch.
    Tom

We regularly buy this wine for its easy-drinking appeal. It’s a great summer red for outdoor cooking, but still has enough to keep one interested. It’s rock-solid consistent, year-in and year-out. Thanks for the TN.

Yup, Brandon…I hadn’t tasted a Kiona in yrs, saw it on the shelves, and thought I’d give it a shot.
I was amazed at how good it was for the $$.
Tom

My experience has largely been the same. About 5 or so years ago I bought some that was really over-oaked but that was an outlier.

Thanks for the note. I buy Kiona wines from FP and like their Sangiovese. If they offer the Lemberger, I’ll give it a try. I bought a bottle of Lemberger from a White Salmon area winemaker, I do not recall the vineyard source, but he said east Klickitat County.

Interesting Tom. Have they changed wine makers/wine making in the last 10 years? That’s about how long it’s been since I last tried it and didn’t care for it.

Thanks for the note, Tom!!!

The “Mourvedre-like” descriptor definitely captured my eye, as did the price ($14/btl?!?). I will have to seek out some Lemberger from Kiona/Red Mountain sometime. :slight_smile:

ClueLess, as usual, Greg. But I think JohnWilliams is stepping back and the next generation is
taking over…so it could very well be. Last time I tasted their Lemberger, many yrs ago, I thought
it resembled Paso Zin more than anything. I was struck by how much this resembled Austrian
BlauFrankisch w/ the earthy/loamy character.
Tom

Thanks for the note. Would try this, based on your description.

I agree on it resembling a Zin in some vintages.

Kiona is to Red Mountain as Louis Martini is to Napa. I was out there last summer and found their priciest bottle - some flagship or reserve bottling of cab - to be the purest most representative iteration of Red Mountain that I tasted all day. And I think it cost $40, maybe $50. It beat all Tapteil, topped the best of Fidelitas, it killed everything from Hamilton. Kiona is known for their cheap (and good) widely available wine, but they can make some really great stuff when they care to. A couple of years ago you could still find 10 year old Syrahs and Sangioveses from Kiona at Total Wine for about $13. And I love that they rock the Lemberger. And I love that they’ve been on Red Mountain forever, as opposed to all this new money and ‘talent’ coming in from California.

Great note. Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah I always liked Kiona and the fact that their wines were very reasonably priced. Having had plenty of BF from Hungary and Austria, I wasn’t wowed by Kiona’s version, but if I find one now, I’ll give it another try. Had a good Zweigelt from Burgenland last night and I’m hoping for something in that vein.

Thanks for posting. I haven’t had this for a few years, but it was my college wine of choice. Used to be able to buy it on sale for $7/bottle at Safeway. I’ll have to track it down when I’m up north in a few weeks.