Who Likes St Aubin?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who Likes St Aubin?

#51 Post by Howard Cooper » May 27th, 2017, 9:58 am

BrianMarshall wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more love for Prudhon here.
The couple I have have been very good, but I don't see them much.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who Likes St Aubin?

#52 Post by Russ Williams » May 27th, 2017, 12:34 pm

Larry Link wrote:
Russ Williams wrote:Thanks for the clarification Larry. Bummed to hear the 2015 vintage is so poor.
I still bought some PYCM SA 2015s, but will not go deep like I did in 2014. If you can find the PYCM 2014s at retail, my suggestion is to buy those instead of 2015. His 2014s are stunning wines, and in general across the board 2014 is a dream vintage for WB.
I was able to grab some '14s last year. Not as much as I would have liked, but happy I got what I did.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Martin Steinley

Who Likes St Aubin?

#53 Post by Martin Steinley » May 27th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Russ Williams wrote:Bummed to hear the 2015 vintage is so poor.
I don't believe that is what Larry was saying, and I wouldn't go that far, particularly at this early stage. I expect that there will be plenty of lovely wines, including from St.-Aubin. It seems like a perfect vintage to look for wines from sites that might not otherwise ripen particularly well.
ITB

Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who Likes St Aubin?

#54 Post by Larry Link » May 28th, 2017, 10:21 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
Russ Williams wrote:Bummed to hear the 2015 vintage is so poor.
I don't believe that is what Larry was saying, and I wouldn't go that far, particularly at this early stage. I expect that there will be plenty of lovely wines, including from St.-Aubin. It seems like a perfect vintage to look for wines from sites that might not otherwise ripen particularly well.
Martin,

I agree that it's early to be making a sweeping call on 2015, but the early results from tastings has me concerned. If the acidity and energy is not in the bottle at this point, it's not going to develop over time.

For my palate 2015 tastes similar to 05 and 06 young. You've probably tasted many more 2015s than me, what's your early take on the vintage?

mrichey
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who Likes St Aubin?

#55 Post by mrichey » May 28th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Martin Steinley wrote: I don't believe that is what Larry was saying, and I wouldn't go that far, particularly at this early stage. I expect that there will be plenty of lovely wines, including from St.-Aubin. It seems like a perfect vintage to look for wines from sites that might not otherwise ripen particularly well.

Not that familiar with St Aubin or vicinity, which vineyards or areas do you believe might avoid the issues with the 2015 wines and not otherwise ripen particularly well?

Thanks in advance.
Μικε

Martin Steinley

Who Likes St Aubin?

#56 Post by Martin Steinley » May 28th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Larry, I agree that if the acidity and energy isn't there now, it will not be there later, but I have had so few that I really can't make any generalization regarding the vintage. Also, as much as I like those attributes in the 2014s, I can enjoy a white Burgundy that is fleshy and easy. A 2011 Buisson-Charles Meursault Gouttes d'Or a few nights ago was just that way and absolutely delicious.

Mike, in a vintage with an early reputation such as 2015, I would tend to look for wines from the vineyards with some elevation such as St-Aubin, Saint-Romain, Blagny and the like, and from producers who tend towards a high-toned style such as Jean-Marc Vincent, whose 2014s are damn near electric. I just received his 2015 but haven't tried them, but I would bet that they are in the zone.
ITB

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who Likes St Aubin?

#57 Post by Chris Seiber » May 28th, 2017, 11:18 pm

I guess a fair question re PYCM St Aubin is whether it's good value at $45-90 per bottle.

The fact that it's good wine from an inexpensive appellation doesn't mean it's a good deal, if the wines themselves are expensive. If Allemand makes a good Syrah in Languedoc but it costs $150, the fact that it's good Syrah from Languedoc doesn't make that a good value.

Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who Likes St Aubin?

#58 Post by Larry Link » May 29th, 2017, 10:52 am

Chris Seiber wrote:I guess a fair question re PYCM St Aubin is whether it's good value at $45-90 per bottle. .
Chris,

Fair question. In the Bay Area the prices for the PYCM St Aubins are in the $40 to $60 range, and at those prices I do think they are a good value. At $90 no, there are better wines at that price point.

You have to like the style, they typically have a flinty, reduced nose, mouth watering acidity balanced by good flavor depth. For $40-$60, I'm a huge fan.

Brian Lynch

Who Likes St Aubin?

#59 Post by Brian Lynch » June 2nd, 2017, 10:45 am

Larry Link wrote:
Brian Lynch wrote:Anyone try/have thoughts on the '15 Pierre-Yves Colin Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Perrieres 2015?
Although I have not tried the Perrieres yet, I've tasted 3 of the PYCM 2015s and am not super excited about the vintage. The wines are fairly simple, low acid and underwhelming. We blind tasted a flight that included a PYCM 2014 en Remilly as a ringer, everyone ranked the 2014 first.
I popped one since these posts above and really enjoyed it. You have a lot more PYCM in your cellar so have a larger reference point of relative greatness but I'd say try one and let us know. Started out with a little more flint than I wanted but it subsided and opened up beautifully with air. Really great value at 54/btl imo.

Return to “Wine Talk”