What percentage of the time do you BYO versus order from the list?

Apart from a local restaurant with a magnificent list, I figured it has been a couple of years since I last entered a restaurant without clutching a bottle. I will often order a glass of Champagne, but in general, there are too many good restaurants offering BYO, and I have plenty of older wines which suit my palate better and/or less expensively than what is on offer to not BYO.

Do most people here check whether BYO is available?

99+ % list ordering.

When not traveling ~50% of the time however I usually buy at least one bottle from the restaurants list and occasionally buy a bottle for the kitchen to have after service.

With Colorado, BYO is illegal so 99% of the time it’s a martini with appetizers and MAYBE a by the glass with dinner.

0%…
$50 for a Matthiasson 2016 rosé last night at Old Major in Denver was mildly painful but as mentioned above, no BYOB in Colorado.

Probably 100% byob if I plan on drinking wine.

The only time I don’t BYO is when traveling and even then I often bring or send wine ahead.

I check 100% of the time I know we will want wine and are not travelling.

I’m a 50/50 type and I don’t eat in restaurants with horribly inflated lists.

Pretty much the same in AZ unfortunately. Literally 2 spots I know of that allow byob. Such a stupid law.

CO is out for us retirement-wise solely b/c of no BYOB. Non-starter law for me. Like CA state income tax in double digits policy against BYOB just tells me I’m not welcome.

90% BYOB 10% list.

We’re probably 95% BYO, but when traveling, sometimes we order off a list, or if a venue is having some kind of deal where wine is discounted on certain days, we’ll take a skim of what they have on offer.

There can be times when its effectively the same economic cost to order off their list, as BYO’ing, especially if one considers TCA/cooked bottle risk.

Of course being in California, it makes all this easier. If one was living in a NFW corkage state, then it may not matter, and we’d probably respond by just eating out less.

Almost 100%
When we travel we bring wine with us or ship ahead.
In general very few problems.

I almost always call to see policy/price, then try to find wine list online with wines/prices, and then decide based on food type (is more of a beer place), corkage policy, wine list/prices. Probably end up BYOB 50%.

This shows how NFWBYOW states get 100% of a non-existent pie. But, then, they seem fine with the remaining, majority non-geeks who happily get fleeced.

100% BYO if I am leaving from my home to the restaurant.

Same here.

Probably 25% BYO.
I’m trying to further expand my horizons outside my rotation domestics. I’m lucky to frequent restaurants that have good international wines, and because most of my experience is domestic, I learn a lot talking to somms/servers about the wine list and pairings.