Big Bigger Biggerest: 2007 Clos du Papes, 2003 Monstrose, 2010 Rieussec

Following Wednesday night’s enjoyment of a 2013 Napanook, wherein I was accused of fearing Ferraris, supermodels and d-cups, last night I put on my big boy underpants. . . . AFWE lace stayed home.

Another family gathering, so again, gotta grab the wines with broader appeal, keeping my thin weedy green Chinons in the bat cave.

Started with my Dad’s personal fave, the 2007 Clos de Papes. I Papes this for my Papes a few years back on Papes Day, and recalled him going goo-goo over it. My Mother seemed equally blown away by it. These 2007s really have not toned down, at least not in my book. This is an incredibly powerful rendition of Chateauneuf, but not over-the-top like many '07s. Not for the feint of heart, but a rich Kirsh liquor bouquet and palate, black licorice and dark fruits. Streak of charoal as well. Some alcohol spike but I would not call it hot, just very rich.

This wine followed a couple of lovely whites, 2014 Jean-Claude Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé, 2014 Trimbach Pinot Blanc, and a 2015 Donhoff 2015 Dönnhoff Kreuznacher Krötenpfuhl Riesling Kabinett. Served with several trays of east coast and west coast oysters, grilled octupus and some charcuterie and cheeses. We were starting at a dizzing pace, so no notes on these wines, just all “strong buys” in my book, with the nose on the Dagueneau showcasing a depth that carries the flight.

It was quite a big jump from these to the Clos de Papes. I was good for a glass on this rich wine, then needed something more in my wheelhouse.

The 2003 Chateau Montrose had been decanted for about an hour. I really loved its musky, pungent wet earth and ripe fruit nose. The fruit alone is Napa vintage, again a choice for the composition of the group. This will never be one of my favorite vintages of Montrose, but it sure is a pleasurable wine. Not a complex wine, but a deep, rich, easy to drink style of Bordeaux. I can see this wine going for ages, just cannot opine what layers of detail and complexity it achieves. Paired extremely well with a plate of medium rare hangar steak and frites fried in duck fat.

Ended with the 2010 Chateau Rieussec. Sure, Sauternes can age for decades, but for whatever reason, I do like them young as well, appreciating the rich honeyed sweetness and spice. Cirtus fruits, honey, orange peal, toasted nuts and spice. Excellent.

I like how the food doesn’t slide of your plate or wine spill out of those glasses.

I Papes this for my Papes a few years back on Papes Day, and recalled him going goo-goo over it.

I had to read this a few times before I caught it. Good one!

On a more serious note - Awesome looking fries. Would love to see some sideways pics of the Oysters, Octopus & Donnhoff.

Wow.

I hope nobody tired to drive home after that dinner.

Nah, family all stayed at my house!

Ended the night with Cuban cigars and a nice Islay Malt. Fun night all around.

Given the embargo and…well, you…I’m assuming the cigars were fake Cuban.

These days I feel like if I were to swallow an entire glass of that Montrose or Papes, I’d fall asleep standing up.

Maybe “tired” instead of “tried” wasn’t a typo after all.

Clos des Papes–a wine that shows you don’t have to have Cambie as your oenologue to taste like rocket fuel. Truth be told, I’ve never had the 07, but I can’t imagine it would be lighter on its feet than the 04s and 05s, which have all the balletic grace of elephants in tutus.

Great notes. I had the 03 Montrose once blind and I guessed Napa from a big year.

I really dig Sauternes young or old-- it’s just the middle stage that can underwhelm in my experience.

Great notes. You are very good to your family members, drinking what they like. I am more apt to try to show my family members what they are missing with the good stuff. But, our siblings don’t really care about wine, so it is my daughter, nieces and nephews that I am really often showing wines to and I am trying to teach them the right way.

When my father was alive, he taught me, not vice versa. Keep cherishing drinking wine with your father. Not much replaces it - the only thing close is drinking wine with our daughter. Wish the two of them could have drunk wine together.

My Dad introduced me to fine wine, and back then, had a more traditional palate. It has only been these last ten years or so where he has migrated toward more modern wines with ripe fruit and more alcohol. It really is an aging palate issue. For my parent’s 35th anniversary, I treated them to several nights in Loire - they were in France for about 2 weeks - at the same Chateau that my wife and I stayed at for our honeymoon in '96, Chateau de Noizay (very elegant, not too pricey). Back then it had a really deep cellar in Chinon, especially Raffault Les Picasses. This is where I was introduced to the beauties of this wine region, and I recall my father really liking them back then. He’d pass on them completely, these days, as he would Beaujolais. Now my sister, wow, does she have a classic AFWE palate, she may be less versatile than me! Her husband has the palate of a yak, but obviously great tastes in women. Our family gatherings usually have a broader array of wines, so I end up popping some stuff just for me and my sis.

We will be celebrating our 35th anniversary in a couple of weeks. A trip to the Loire sounds nice.