Yeah, I like aligote!

Not much chatter on here about this grape, but I think it deserves more consideration given all of the love for chardonnay, chenin blanc, and melon de bourgogne one finds on this board.

My experience is profoundly limited in number of producers, but Bachelet’s 2014 last night was bonkers from the first sniff. I love it when you put your nose in the glass and realize that a wine has a chance to deliver on multiple sensory vectors. So many times it’s difficult to coax out any kind of significant impression via smell alone (maybe that says something about my wine choices [swoon.gif] ).

Anyway, this wine tasted of tart lemons and limes and finished with salt (yes, not wussy saline) and plenty of acidity.

Not much chatter probably because not much is made and it’s rarely made into something to contemplate. It’s one of those grapes that people plant because they always did. And it’s blended with some creme de cassis for Kir, which isn’t the way to earn any respect. Kind of like trying to run for senate based on your career as a hooker, which might be a smart move in some quarters.

Anyway, I always doubt those judgements that declare a grape to be greater or lesser. I think it would be pretty interesting to treat that grape more seriously and see what happens. Apparently some producers in Burgundy are doing exactly that, so let’s see what comes of it. And I’m sure there are plenty of areas in which it could be pretty interesting - maybe New York for example? I don’t know of anyone in the US making it, but I’d like to try it if I found some.

Yep, I love the 2014 Bachelet Aligote. Bought a half case and already worked through half of it.

Very much reminds me of the 2014 Briords but with more weight and texture.

Lemonade for grownups (in a great way).

How would an aligote like this example (plenty of tart fruit) change over time? Do you have any experience you could share?

I had the 2006 Ponsot Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos des Monts Luisants Vieilles Vignes back last November at Piazza Duomo in Alba and loved it…it’s a full-bodied vision of what Aligote can be though.

I’ve had aligotes before, but I can’t say I remember any.

No, that’s being too kind. They were too neutral to care one way or another.

I haven’t had it in a while, but the Bouzeron Aligoté from Dom. de Villaine (owned by the family of Aubert de Villaine of DRC) can be wonderful – full-bodied but with lots of acid and true minerality.

Sadly, on non-pro WS, the Bachelet shows up only at some store in New Orleans. Has anyone seen it in the Northeast, and NY in particular?

there are many very serious aligotes: d’auvenay, arnaud ente, alexandra couvreur, de moor plantation 1902, nicolas faure, the single parcel collection from pataille

I love the de Moor aligotes (especially the A Ligoter) and the Ponsot Luisants.

I sourced mine from Robert P. at Down to Earth wines.

Ditto on the 2006, Kirk; I got a few bottles from Premier Cru, back when, and it’s a very satisfying wine and not a bad ringer to throw in when blind tasting “normal” white Burgundies.

Young Inglewood is growing some Aligote in St Helena, I haven’t tried it but I’m curious.

Jed Steele makes an Aligoté under his Shooting Star label. The grapes are Washington grown.
The wine has good floral aroma and acidity. Clean, and clearly new world. It would appeal to anyone who likes Oregon Pinot Blanc.

P Hickner

I’ve had some really good ones from Ente, Leroy, Roulot and Fichet.

I didn’t know that many producers made one; you certainly don’t see them offered at retail very often.

Calera used to make one that was pretty good

Really enjoy the De Moor Plantation 1902 Aligote, from 100+ year old vines. Kind of hard to find though.

I have been and will always be a big proponent of Aligoté, the original white grape variety of Burgundy.
The Bachelet is consistently of the greatest examples produced.
At the moment, these are the in stock goodies (ws pro needed to see, John…)
2014 Denis Bachelet
2014 Dureuil Janthial
2015 Ch de la Maltroye
2011-2014 Michel Lafarge
2014 Bruno Clavelier
Each of these are terrific examples in their own right.
A salty santé to you !

Bachelet’s version is very good. I like Ramonet and Villaine’s Bouzeron very much. Leroy’s Aligoté is off the charts. Ponsot’s Monts Luisants is stellar and there’s Aligoté in their Corton-Charlemagne. We import versions from Boisset, Fournier and Lucien Jacob, all excellent drinks.

PYCM makes an excellent (and very PYCM) aligote. Usually not that hard to get. The most amazing one though is the d’auvenay sous le chatellet. A truly great, grand Cru level wine, but priced accordingly.

We did a wonderful dinner at the square a few years ago where everyone brought only Aligotes. We had pretty much all of them as I recall!