Flipping

I have been thinking about this topic. Reevaluating my position. When I use the word “flipping”, I mean buying wine with the sole intent of reselling it for a profit. I admit that definition may be too narrow. For the wineries there are pros and cons of the practice.

Some of the cons:

• Wines are not always protected and stored properly which would impact the final consumers perception of the wines.
    Wines resold in foreign markets could impact the wineries distribution channels
    Wines become perceived as a commodity Vs a social bonding beverage
    Allocations for those that want to consume the wines become harder to secure
    Brand loyalty is displaced by marketability (which is more volatile)

Some of the pros:

• The practice drives demand which can drive up prices.
    It can have create more brand exposure.

I totally get that this practice is limited to a minuscule portion of the market. That being said, I’m still intrigued by the topic. I have resold wines for a profit. I somehow feel more at ease with the practice if I buy a wine at retail and then flip it for a higher price. I have bought wine and shared it with others at cost (sometimes including negligible cc interest fee if applicable). I wonder if the element of time and intent has an impact on my rationalization for the practice. If I sell a wine 6 months after a purchase does that make a difference? If I bought wine to drink but needed to raise money later for some reason, does that make it more acceptable? I cant shake the notion that my behavior (though less egregious more aggressive versions) has negative impact on the industry. I would like to hear others thoughts on the topic.

Setting aside

• your right to do whatever with the wine you’ve bought
  • situations where you become cash-strapped and need to sell your wine to pay the mortgage
  • you’re actually a retailer / ITB

Then flipping is wrong, ethically and morally. You’re basically enabling wine speculation, preventing wineries / your sources reallocating based on their waiting list / criteria, all under the pretence of being just a “normal” consumer joe. Over time, the practice removes the incentive for retailers / wineries to provide scarce wine to their “good / loyal” customers at normal mark-ups, because they get “punished” by arbitrageurs for not marking to market.

“Flipping is wrong, ethically and morally.”

Uh… what?!

I think this is not as black and white as some people would have it be. I like Jay’s articulation of when it is ok to sell, and when it might not be.

I will add: there are people who have allocated wines from very coveted wineries shipped directly to brokers. In these cases, I think, for me, this crosses the line, and a winery could, and should, stop selling to them. Also, historically there have been some people who ask for larger allocations from these very sought after wineries, and say they love the wine and would never sell it, and then have sold it, sub rosa, which again, I do not think is ok.

I do not think I should be the judge of what anyone does with wine they own, but I do think some actual behaviors of some people has been too commercial.

My $.02, just to help stimulate the dialogue.

You buy it. You own it. You do what you want (within the bounds of the prevailing laws) with it. Anything else is completely subjective.

A difficult one.

I would very much agree that buying a wine, cellaring it for a few years with the intention of drinking it, then later deciding to sell it, isn’t flipping… when compared to buying a wine knowing that you are going to sell it for a quick profit. You’re really then a small scale wine trader, not a normal customer and there will be different terms (if at all) for commercial deals.

Ideally such situations shouldn’t arise. We should pay the winery a fair price for the wine, albeit paying to join a club at the start of a winery’s existence may be a win-win giving them a modest income whilst the initial outlay eats into their cash reserves and before the wines are ready to sell to the market. In such situations a club discount is the reward for your help. If the winery is selling at market price, then a 10% discount isn’t going to excite flippers, but does reward the people who helped them get started. The problems seem to occur when the club member price is much less than the market price. That feels like the club members are getting an awfully generous deal, yet also means many might stop drinking the wines, but continue membership for the easy financial gains. For just ~10% gain I doubt many would bother, simply dropping off the mailing list / club membership.

regards
Ian

I am not trying to argue what is legal, but what is right, to me, relative to the topic Jay raised.

If the question was: is it legal, then we could shut the discussion down, and move on.

And, of course it is personal, and therefore subjective. My personal point of view might be different from other’s.

I see a big difference between:

Buying wine with the intent to immediately sell for a profit
VS.
Buying wine, a few years down the road realizing you have too much/not to your taste/need to sell for financial reasons.

Historically a lot of people did this to finance their wine hobby. Is this immoral or unethical?

Bordeaux en-primeur was the logical place this occurred. FWIW I’m less bothered by this, as it was *purely a commercial deal. The winery / negociant priced the wine cheaper if you paid upfront, taking the chance that someone in the chain might go bust and you get nothing, but also that prices would go up (if they go down then you lose money). Anyone could play, if you were prepared to stump up the money. The problems emerged when this approach, coupled with growing emergence of a much expanded ‘super-rich’, resulted in a price spiral that put many wines out of the reach of people who could previously afford the occasional bottle. The problem isn’t so obvious initially for the producers / negociants / merchants / buyers, but it ends up dis-enfranchising other potential buyers, who sensibly see better value elsewhere. Many shifted to Burgundy and many of those will now look elsewhere. If the prices get out of hand, the sensible wine drinker explores their other interests.

regards
Ian

• as long as it wasn’t a case of ‘who you know’ to get the offer, which was always a suspicion of the London en-primeur market.

Moral and ethical decisions are by their very nature subjective. I was trying to understand where the line is crossed for others.

Not the same as your point, but I distinctly remember in my early years buying my entire allocation knowing that I would share it with friends (again at cost). It was the equivalent of letting my friends “cut in line”.

Speechless.

Is there any other product where flipping is considered unethical?

My question was sort of rhetorical; my view on it is that although I don’t do it myself, if someone hustled his way to arbitrage opportunities to be able to finance a hobby they might not otherwise be able to afford, more power to them.

Concert tickets

Bottom line: it’s not illegal to be an ahole.

Lol.

Amd I support wineries who cut serial speculator-flippers off from their list.

That said, if you do it very occasionally due to unplanned circumstance I would feel fine doing it.

Intent matters.

I examined whether auction arbitrage made sense. Didn’t seem reliable nor scalable enough to be worth the time.

But at least there, the market is the market. There is no misrepresentation going on.

I agree. Many moons ago, I shared by allocation of Harlan at cost with a “friend” of mine. No preconditions, but he did say he always wanted to drink the wine. I found out very soon afterwards that he sold the wines for a huge profit. It was his wine to do with as he saw fit, but it really irritated me.