500 ml bottles

If more 500ml bottles were available, probably half my purchases would be in 500ml format. Goldilocks size for me.

Anyone know of producers other than Rhys that make 500ml formats?

Neal family

A few in Europe, but still very rare outside of dessert wines. I agree it can be a useful size.

I could not agree more. Just right for 2 people without overconsumption. How did the 750ml get to be the standary anyway? Just curious.

Love 'em. Viuva Gomes and Arenae Colares are both sold in 500ml (and the wines are great too).

I know that Anthony at Kinero used to bottle in these. I don’t know if he still does.

Scribe’s Skin-Fermented Chardonnay.
http://store.scribewinery.com/product/2015-Skin-Fermented-Chardonnay?pageID=269E55F5-DB1D-9FBD-AFBB-7BA01F6DB081&sortBy=DisplayOrder&maxRows=999&

Absolutely right on both counts, just generally hard to source and somewhat expensive. I also agree this is a great size, but for one person… (at least with these wines)

Vin de Constance

Pride Sangiovese comes only in 500ml bottles. I don’t think that they do any magnums or larger. They are kind of hard to get your hands on.

Patrick Jasmin used to have his Cote-Rotie available in 500ml. Maybe still does.

Pegau.

Radikon, too.

The Colares is a super cool wine. Thanks to Tooch for the intro there…

We carry a number of half bottles for the bar and retail sales. There are those customers who grab a half bottle for the nights they want one more glass after dinner. We also have customers who want something in between the half bottle, (not quite enough) and a 750 they can’t finish. The only wines we have access to in 500ml are all dessert wines. The 500ml would also work well in the wine bar. The 375 is really a glass each for two and the 500 would be closer to a glass and a half each. It would be real popular in the cigar lounge if we could get the appropriate wines.

Justerini used to offer a number of Clarets in 500ml size (and may still, I e been away a long time). Described, iirc, as a good size for two at lunch or a gentleman’s dinner

IIRC Fontanfredda do their basic Serralunga Barolo in 50cl size bottles

I bought some 500 ml bottles of 2010 Pegau in DC.

Yes, Domaine du Pegau usually bottles some quantity in 0.5 l … but I´ve seen it only at the domaine and in restaurants there … I guess other CdP-producers as well …

Just a WAG but I would think it had something to do with the old “fifths”, one fifth of a gallon, 24 oz. bottling’s of wine spirits before the USA adopted the metric system. IDK.

R.H. Phillips use to put their top end EXP line in 500ml’s but are long gone.

Didn’t Screaming Eagle put a vintage in 500’s when they had a short vintage?