TN: 1996 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Gran Reserva

• 1996 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Gran Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (5/12/2017)
    Mistake to open now. I remember enjoying the 1988 and 1991 very much 10+ years ago so I thought it was time to try a 1996. Showing a lot of American oak and some dense fruit. My understanding was always that CVNE had gone more modern only as of the 2001 vintage but maybe they bought some new barrels that year? Anyway, don’t touch for at least 5 if not 20 years.

Posted from CellarTracker

A couple of years ago, I wrote a note with almost the same first and last sentences for a '94 LdH Tondonia GR.

I’m getting too old for notes like this :slight_smile:.

I know! I bought the '94’s to drink while my younger riojas slept!

94, 95, and 96 are great long-term vintages if you like to age the classic reds. Drink the 98s and 99s first and if you have 97s for some reason, those too.

The RLdH '81 GRs are drinking just as well as ever right now (especially the Bosconia). That being said, I believe they will still be in that state long after my ashes are providing soil nutrients.

I love the 96 Imperial from that year. I think I only had the regular reserva though.

Anywhere close to ready? I pulled a 1996 GR Imperial from storage as well but was tempted to just send it back.

I would be interested to see how this showed on day 2.

For my tastes, I wouldn’t even look at a Gran Reserva from LdH or CVNE before it’s 30th birthday, and I’m not a necrophiliac by any means. The best bottles I’ve had were all 40+ years from vintage.

I loved '81 LDH riservas 15 years ago (especially at $40 a bottle), ditto for CVNE GRs. Not sure why the mid 90s would need so much more,time but apparently they do. Of course those 81s are even better now that I’m just about all out.

I thought it was pretty nice, at least an A- or so. If I’d had it blind I would have assumed it was a fine Bordeaux.