Dirty & Rowdy + Cruse Collaboration

I received an email offer for the new collaboration between Dirty & Rowdy and Cruse. The white wine is an Alder Springs Furmint.

From the email:

"2015 Dirty & Rowdy and Cruse:
In 2014 we began our joint project series with the Dirty & Rowdy and Enfield Antle Vineyard Pinot / Mourvèdre. Since then, our goal has been to produce at least one collaborative wine per year to celebrate the camaraderie between small wineries. These wines are full of life, tiny production, and show the unbridled joy of collaborating with your peers. In 2015, we teamed up with Michael Cruse of Cruse Wine Co. and Ultramarine to produce the 2015 DRC Alder Springs Furmint.

"For those unfamiliar with Furmint, it is the most celebrated white grape variety in Hungary. It has the ability to generate depth, power, and ripeness, while holding great acidity. There is not much of this variety planted in CA and in 2015, we gained access to one of the more extreme and remote blocks.

"2016 Dirty & Rowdy and Cruse Alder Springs Vineyard Furmint
100% Furmint (Mendocino county)
14.3% ABV $42 Per 750ML
78 Cases Produced
Sealed with a Nomacorc Select Bio closure (a sugarcane based, carbon neutral, recyclable, breathable cork)

"30-45 min decant recommended. The 2015 DRC Furmint is a powerful white. It has depth, flesh, along with beautiful cut and minerality. There is eucalyptus, citrus, apricot, and crunchy rock. It sits at the intersection between fun, serious, and fancy wine. One thing to note: This wine is not a one-off, we liked it so much, we decided to make it in '16 and hopefully for years to come.

“Due to timing, we are unable to combine these wines with any remaining spring release orders. Where applicable, we will ship these wines temperature controlled at the same price as regular ground or since this is a small, single wine offer, we can also hold your orders until the fall. Cruse Wine Co. will also be releasing this wine and it can be ordered from either winery.”

https://www.dirtyandrowdy.com/store
2015 Dirty Rowdy & Cruse Alder Springs Vineyard Furmint & COMBO.jpg

Got the email Monday. $42 was pushing my comfort level on a white wine with no track record but I sprung for a pair anyhow just in case it was something special.

i would argue the label alone is almost worth the price of admission! that said, unfortunately, i had to sit this one out – so for those that order (or who were at the pickup party and tasted) … let us know how it is!

In for 3 btls of the Furmint. Recently had the LimerickLane '15 and it has evolved in a yr’s time
into a beutiful expression of that grape. Giving the winemaking credentials involved here,
I expect this will also be a great Furmint given some age. I plan to take a btl to share w/
HeidiSchrock, who also makes a great Furmint in the Burgenland, when I go in about a yr.
Tom

Snagged a bottle as soon as the offer hit my in box.

Would have liked to grab a few…but as Brian mentioned, the price was a little high for a wine nobody has tried yet (that I know of at least).

And not being able to combine shipping with my last D&R order sealed it at 1 bottle.

If I love it…ill be sure to get more of the 16’s when they’re released.

Thanks for the response to this wine and all the orders.

Stu at Alder Springs had been wanting D&R to adopt this block for awhile. We loved the slope, the soil, etc… but Furmint was outside our focus and it would not be an inexpensive addition to our lineup. On a following trip up to Alder Springs with Cruse in tow, we stopped in the Furmint block and decided that one of us would be stupid not to take it - ultimately we decided it would be a fun wine to produce together.

The idea with our collaborative wines is that they are a one wine deal and a chance to produce something fun, beautiful, and unique with winemakers we love-- 2014 was Dirty Rowdy Enfield, 2015 Dirty Rowdy Cruse, 2016 Dirty Rowdy Idlewild, and 2017 is TBD. The DRC Furmint was intended to be a one off, but we both liked it so much that we have continued to produce it.

Shipping: We are happy to hold shipping on this if people want to combine it with the fall release.

Wine: This is a bigger wine than most people have had from D&R or Cruse. It is 14.3%, fleshy, polished, a bit riper, wildly aromatic and still bright with great acidity, and tons of minerality. It has intense minty / eucalyptus / elderflower / citrus flavors.

Seal: This wine is sealed with a Nomacorc SelectBio (sugarcane based closure) We picked one with medium OTR (Oxygen Transfer Rate). Due to the selected OTR, the 2015 Furmint should be consumed within a couple of years vs. tucked in the cellar for a decade. With a 30-45min decant, it is delicious right now. (This should be served at a little lower than cellar temp)

We poured this at the combined Dirty & Rowdy / Cruse Wine Co. release party last weekend. We received a great response from consumers and trade.

We can’t ever say it enough- We are humbled and grateful that our customers give us the support to produce wines like this.

Geez Hardy, why do you have to tug at my heart strings by mentioning there’s minty/eucalyptus in this (see the 91 martha’s thread! lol) combined with a shipping hold for fall, you may have convinced me to reverse my decision. pileon

Hardy-2017 has got to be with Enfield!!! Again!!

Yes, or a sparkler with Cruse. His sparkling St. Laurent and Valdiguié reminded me of D&R, with their freshness and energy; pure joy in a bottle.

Cheers,
Warren

If minty, eucalyptus is what you would like, this is the wine for you. Strong on the nose but is integrated on the palate it also has good cut along with citrus, peachy and stony notes. For me the texture of this wine was fascinating, it had viscosity yet was very light in the mouth unlike any other wine I’ve had. My guess is that serving temp will be important in how the wine shows.

Will hopefully get around to posting some tasting notes on the other D&R wines, Cruse sparkler and Jolie Laide release - open house if I ever get my notes together :slight_smile:

Tom

OK, if Hardy says it’s good, then it’s good*. Have yet to be disappointed, or even near. So I ordered one (for fall delivery).

*even for other people’s wines, like Paetra!

I passed due to price and choice of closure. I’m sure it’s a delicious wine, however!

Just a heads up to everyone on closures- As of our June '17 bottling, we are moving 95%+ of our production out of traditional cork. Our earlier drinking wines (release to 5yrs) will get similar select SelectBio Nomacorc to what we have been using. Wines meant for longer aging will go into the lowest OTR (25+ year) Nomacorc Reserva. If we feel we have wines that could confidently go beyond 25yrs, we will look at other options for bottling.

Thanks Peter! I hope you dug that Paetra!

Why not use screwcap? It seems to perform just as well as cork, including over the long term, but it’s more consistent from what I gather (Should say that IANAW=I am not a winemaker). Just curious.

I prefer the Nomacorc. They are carbon neutral, breathable, made from plant material, recyclable, can work with any glass, don’t add additional material to the bottle, work great in bottling lines, you still pull a “cork”, etc… If the Nomacorc closures were not available, we’d consider screwcap or look more at the glue free diam, etc.

Thanks for the anagram, Peter! I will be officially using this in the future. :slight_smile:

Thanks for being upfront about this, Hardy, even though it will probably result in me dropping from your list. Will there be any further non-Nomacorc releases from this point forward, other than that 5%- you reference in your previous post?

I may have missed this in a past thread Brian, but out of curiosity, is there a reason you have such a strong opinion on nomacorc?

You’re welcome! The Paetra is really good, world class Riesling IMO, both the '15 Riesling and '15 Riesling ‘S’ (haven’t tried the ‘K’ yet, and I just got a shipment of '16s).

We have the following wines bottled (but not released) which are still under traditional cork:

2015 Antle Mourvèdre
2016 Mendocino Chenin Blanc

We are sad to see anyone drop from the list. Thanks for giving the wines a go.