Tone-Loc Would Love this Wine: 1986 Chateau Sociando Mallet

Bring me da funk!

I wonder how many mature bottles are cast aside within minutes of opening, rejected as spoiled, given the stink that oftentimes emits from an open bottle. This bottle was imminently clean on the outside, cork top was a bit musty, but the cork came out perfectly. Conditions looked good. But damn, did this wine stink. “I’m like, dang momma, what be wrong wit you!”

Toss it in the decanter and let some air do its thing. I gave it 30 minutes.

Well, still funky, but more of a mature Bordeaux musky perfume. The wine is in perfect condition.

The nose is quite complex behind the mist of funk: Sweet cassis, wet saddle leather, maduro tobacco, old barn wood. The palate is richly intense, a deep array of red fruits lifted by a solid core of acid. I’ve noticed with more time in the decanter, and softer dark fruit notes, plumminess, are coming to the fore, rounding the wine out nicely. It’s medium weight, soft and resolved tannins, just really lovely.

I know these wines are quite different in some respects, but this wine is so reminiscent to me of a 1986 Montrose I had some years back, whose funky, musky, sweaty, red-fruited qualities were intoxicating. This Sociando is not quite the same depth of complexity, has less depth in the mid-palate, and shorter crisp finish, but there are some similarities here.

Serious color there for a 31 year old wine!

Thought there was gonna be a “Loc’ed After Dark” reference!

D2lHi9alZPM

Now we are taking! And so funny since my wife was out with the girls!

Amazing color, wow.
Kick them rat-stabbers off and enjoy.

Come on Buzz, that ain’t no funk! That’s techie, wanna-be funk frat boy 'hoot-lite projecting with a synthesizer, sorta like were Rolland to take over Sociando and time stopping in protest. [wow.gif] .

Great note. I used to have this wine but drank it a long time ago.

But, what shoes were you wearing when you had this? [snort.gif]

Now this is bordeaux

But of course, an old pair of black Chuck’s! Air Jordan’s could work, but next decade.

[welldone.gif] have not had Chucks in many years.

Wait, I thought it was your night out with the girls.

Nice one Alfert.
'86 left banks are solid made. The rich dark color is often seen here. (Great pic.)
I started backfilling them in the nineties, when the potential was obvious, and the prices still fair.
The Duhart-Milon is also in fine shape today.

-Søren.