Finding birthyear wine.... on a budget

I am looking to find a backup bottle of something from my birthday (1984). I already have a bottle of 1984 Montrose, but I am not too confident in the Montrose from what I am reading online. I know there are many amazing bottles I can purchase, but as I am on a strict wine-buying budget (wife-implemented), I am looking for something under $100. I know it is hard to find sub-$100 wines that are still enjoyable from 1984 but I figure there is no better place to ask than here. Thanks ahead of time! [thankyou.gif]

There’s a 1984 Heitz Bella Oaks on Winebid as we speak for $80.

Ive never had that vintage…but if I was a bettin man…my money would be on that wine being pretty damn good.

1984 was a pretty shit year for wine worldwide. However, it was relatively good in California, so I’d take a gamble on the Dunn Vineyards Napa Cabernet Sauvignon.

$100 – http://www.vinoquest.com/

https://www.benchmarkwine.com/wines/49868-sullivan-cabernet-sauvignon-napa-valley-1984

$55 Napa cab

That makes me sad…

I’m 1980 - similar worldwide bad year. But I’ve had really good luck with Napa cabs still being alive and drinking well.

Same here. Have had amazing luck with very inexpensive 1980 Napa cabs bought at auction that have been really enjoyable. Of course you get a few clunkers here and there…but far more have been good vs. Bad.

Which month were you born? You can perhaps go with conception rather than birth, as 1983 offers a lot more choices.

I was born on Aug 23, so I squeak barely into 83 if I wanted to go that route.

Try my birthyear, 1965.

It actually makes me sad that I’m 20 years older!

:stuck_out_tongue:

If you go to wine-searcher and plug in 1984 as the search term, there are 7 pages of results. Napa had an excellent year.

+1 on Napa. Lots of wine out there

1956, one in the record of absolutely horrible wine years.

Fontanafredda Barolo well worth a look if you see it.

Wow 0-- I never thought of that. I am January 1962 – that gets me to 1961…

[

attachment=0]IMG_5313.JPG[/attachment]

Another I have a pair of.
IMG_5313.JPG

Already sorted [basic-smile.gif]

I’m '61, but my wife is '62.
We were married in '85 and gave birth to our daughter in '90.
Charmed life.
[cheers.gif]

And your parents were born or married in 1928 or 1947? :slight_smile:

I already have a bottle of 2014 Pichon Baron and 2014 Christian Moreau Les Clos laying down for our wedding bottles, but looks like I will have to look around in California for a backup bottle of 1984.