'Cork Dork', a quick review

I’m surprised that the board has not mentioned it so I will dive in. This was the most entertaining book on the subject of wine I have ever read. It is simply big fun. Certainly not the most informative and it is certainly polarizing, but so easy to read. The riffs on the difficult difference between the sense of taste and smell are provocative and the history of tasting notes are eye-opening. The gossipy, high end New York Somm world is depicted with a loving and a jaundiced view. Best of all, Ms. Bosker is a writer with a clear voice and style that can take you thru some esoteric thickets and never lose you. Things I learned,

1-I would never want to be Cork Dork.
2 I can learn to smell more accurately simply by paying attention
3 Telling your Somm your budget makes it easier for both of you.
4 There is too much of a good thing.
Not the end all and be all, but a fun, engaging and informative read!

[popcorn.gif]

Yes, I just finished myself and was curious if others had read it. A certain amount of it was for me filler–on the neurology of the senses and so on. And I am still reeling that the “precious” wine she ends up buying and bringing to La Paulee is a 1990 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne, if I not mistaken–definitely something by Louis Latour ?!?.
But overall, it was an enjoyable read and I took away two things. As someone not ITB, I was surprised at the level of study and knowledge displayed by the most dedicated somms or “cork dorks”–blind tastings almost every weekday mornings, constant memorization (the height of the hills in Sicily) and so on. I also got to see myself, the customer or client, from a new perspective. Definitely, some of the “sins” the somms complain about–for example, just picking a wine without discussion–on some occasions I have been guilty of. In other circumstances–really big list, restaurant known for very serious wine–I do consult more in depth, but I think I’ll be a more flexible, open, and humble user/consumer than I have been in the past after reading the book.

Curious to know what others thought; it’s out in paper and it’s a quick read, so the time/money investment seemed to me worth it.

Anything mentioning New York and somm in the same sentence makes me thing of having to hold a toddlers hand while crossing the street… they don’t make enough money to consistently taste good wines.

Blake,

You might want to give the book a look. She explains how the top end somms access these wines, sometimes getting on at higher end restaurants (at lower positions) just so they can taste them, as well as a number of other stratagems. Of course, at a certain level, it’s just not going to be possible for them to taste consistently, but not only is that not a personal concern of mine in any case, but I did think it genuinely impressive how they studied and what they mastered.

My only suggestion (and only a suggestion) is you judge for yourself.

Not to say by the way that there aren’t many on this board, in part by dint of years of tasting and experience, who aren’t far more knowledgeable, at least about certain specific wine regions (Burgundy or Bordeaux, most notably). Some, not all, also ITB, of course.

Many somms, at least in my experience, come from fairly wealthy backgrounds, hence their exposure to and interest in wine from a young age. This is another way that they access many great wines despite the relatively low income of the profession. Not all or even close to all, mind you, but a good percentage. There is certainly an environment of sharing amongst wine professionals as well and no shortage of opportunities to taste a wide variety of things if you are in the industry and take the initiative. I would venture to guess that most on the winemaking side of the industry make even less than somms, but we still manage to find ample opportunities to taste.

constant memorization (the height of the hills in Sicily)

That’s the problem. Wine has in some ways become a competition. Learn a lot of useless facts and you pass a test. It’s not the same as tasting a lot of wine for thirty years.

Tell me how a wine had evolved from 1995 when it was young, not about the height of the hills.

I found it highly entertaining. I listened to it, read by the author.

So while they’re tracking a wine over 22 years, what are they supposed to do?

about half way through, fun read so far. I see it as more of a narrow focus documentary (she pretty much follows one guy around) than real reporting. The thing that caught my eye early on was her work experience. Seems like the first hard job she had was in the first restaurant she applied for. She was making mistakes at 30 that I made at 16. Guess just a difference in generations i guess.

1. Learn how to provide excellent service.
  2. Learn how not to be an annoying douchebag.

Just finished it. I really enjoyed it. A lot af new material for me, and a look at a wine world apart from my small Northwestern town. It’s presented in an amusing, self-deprecating, non condescending fashion.

I dug it - found it very entertaining and enlightening. I can see how some in the wine world might be ‘offended’ by it, but I really don’t get a negative vibe at all.

Cheers.

Same here actually. She is a great reader!

I thought the book was wonderful. The misses, who isn’t nearly as into wine as I am also very much enjoyed it. We both listened to the audio book and that is THE way to go. She’s a wonderful narrator.

I thought it was quite balanced in the sense that there was plenty of real content and insight into the somm world while still being engaging and accessible. I loved the technical stuff. I’m very fascinated with blind tasting and have been consistently doing it for awhile and found her tips and focus on blind tasting really informative.

The main somm character (Morgan?–sorry, I read it a while ago) I think grew up down the street here in Seattle, if the book didn’t change names. Both parents fellow docs that I don’t know particularly well, but I’m sure I must have bumped into him on his trike in the past. I thought it was a fun read. Main message for me is affirmation that you can truly train your faculties if you focus and really pay attention.

My dog gave it to me for Father’s Day. I am having trouble getting through it. I think I am repulsed by the whole notion of someone saying I will take what you’ve spent a lifetime learning and figure it all out in a year or two.

Read the book earlier this year…seemed her pursuit of all things vinous was a bit OCD but, nonetheless an interesting read…Since I rarely, if ever, frequent palaces of fine wining and dining with hyperinflated wine lists and tend to do my fine wine drinking at home or with friends,I doubt I will be exposed to the somms and their brethren as depicted in the book.

Just finished. Couldn’t put it down. So many insights. A joyful homage to wine.

I read this book about two years ago. When I started it I was definitely NOT a wine person. This book along with a bottle of 1986 Canon that I went out on a limb and purchased for my wife’s 30th birthday are the reason I started on the path to becoming a “berserker.” I still recc it as a great jumping off point for someone who likes wine but doesn’t know a ton about what goes into it, or for someone who has watched Somm and thought it was interesting and wants to learn more. Its entertaining and informative at the same time.