Andremily Mourvedre

I was fortunate to get an allocation of this but have not tried opened any so far - has anyone tasted from bottle yet? I would be interested in how approachable it is at this early stage…

I am not a customer of Andremily, so I am not able to help you with your question, MOrsino.

However, I am curious about this wine. WineBid recently had a bottle up for the auction at ~$210/btl!!! Is this correct?

Can you please share any details about the fruit source, alcohol level, winemaker’s notes, etc?

That’s interesting, I have never tried their wines! Their website mentions syrah blends but not a 100% mourvedre. Wonder if they take visitors at all, since i’ll be up in Santa Barbara next month. They seem like a smaller operation, so maybe not.

I was allocated a bunch of the Syrah but no Mourvèdre. Many others were in the same boat. I suggest that you open one for science!

I tend to like my Mourvèdre in the Dirty and Rowdy or Bandol mold more than SQN, so I wonder whether these would be in a style I’d like or too high octane…

Curious - do you find D&R to be on the same style as Bandol? Curious to hear . . .

Yeah…Dirty & Rowdy and Bandol are sorta opposite ends of the spectrum, in my humble opinion.

[popcorn.gif]

[popcorn.gif]

Bought the Syrah, didn’t get any Mourvèdre. Haven’t heard anything back on it, but curious to hear, of course.

Anyone have any info on where the Mourvedre was from? Curious to hear . . .

Cheers.

Deez.

???

He is referring to this meme…

You asked.

FIFY

Also, I’m not sure if Jim and Rachel host folks who aren’t on their allocation list.

And I’ve yet to try the Mourvèdre. But I’m one of those types who will wait a few years before opening a bottle.

Looks like the Mourvedre comes from Alta Mesa Vineyard in the SB Highlands area, north of Santa Maria, owned by the family that also owns Laetitia IIRC. Dave Corey used to farm this and source fruit from it, and Hardy Wallace gets some for his D&R label and Angela Osborne gets some grenache from there for her A Tribute To Grace label . . . and there is 14% Syrah from White Hawk in there as well. From what I’ve read, there were only about 70 cases made. Does that sound right?

Cheers.

From Andremily’s email notification of the 2014 vintage allocation:

We are pleased to present the 2014 Andremily Mourvedre, a terrific blend of 86% Mourvedre from Alta Mesa Vineyard, which was co-fermented with 14% Syrah from White Hawk Vineyard. The wine was 30% destemmed, and aged for 23 months in 30% new French barrique. The result of all of this is a full throttle, rich-textured wine with soaring aromatics of spiced meats, chocolate, crushed pepper, and earthy notes. A wine packed with all of the sexiest elements of Mourvedre. It is with great regret that we must report there were only a scarce 250 box sets produced of this glorious elixir, unfortunately not enough for us to offer it to everyone at this point. But in the words of the great philosopher; Plato –“Better a little which is well done, than a great deal imperfectly.”

ERPark, thank you for the details!!!

I was wondering where the grapes came from and whether the wine included Syrah. I wish that Syrah was not a component, as I personally find it often dominates a blend. I hope that this is not the case here, however.

OK - the message is loud and clear! I guess I will file this under “be careful of what you ask for”. I will be the guinea pig and open a bottle this weekend and post notes on CT and here.

The SVD’s, yes. They’re certainly not identical, and Hardy’s hand is a bit lighter than many. If you’re only drinking the Familiar, then no. But they are not opposite ends of the spectrum, IMHO.

'15 was our last vintage working with the fruit from the Mesa at SBH. We put all the 15 in the Familiar Mourvèdre. (It 50%+ of the '15 Familiar)