TNs: JJ Prum - 15x 2015s plus back vintages incl. 2004 Eiswein LGK

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Cam Wheeler

#1 Post by Cam Wheeler » April 21st, 2017, 10:13 pm

I had the good fortune to again attend the annual breakfast tasting of the 2015 JJ Prum wines, along with a selection of currently available back vintage wines including an incredible 2004 Bernkasteler Johannisbrünnchen Eiswein, run by the Australian importer.

While this will not be surprising news to fans of the 2015 vintage and even just JJ Prum in general, there is amazing quality across the entire range from one of the best young estate Kabinetts I've tried, right through the Auslese Goldcaps and should be purchased with confidence.

Have linked some previous annual tasting notes below for reference;

2011 Prum - http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... =1&t=82586
2012 Prum - http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... =1&t=98117
2014 Prum - https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=32688

2015 Kabinett

• 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Nicely open aromatically - pear, peaches and some mineral bath salts. The palate has impressive concentration at this level, while the sugar does stand out a little more here, it still has enough length and acidity that it retains a sense of balance. Coming back to it after the single vineyard wines it does feel less complex, but there is still plenty to like here. 90/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Appealing nose of lime, spice, kiwi fruit and white floral notes. The acidity in this wine takes a step up compared to the estate Kabinett, while still having great fruit and sugar intensity, as a result the sweetness is less pronounced and I think this gives the wine a bit more dimension and spark. Impressively bright through the long finish. Bernkasteler Badstube is sometimes a little underwhelming for me, but certainly not with this wine! 92/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    The aromas here are the tightest of the Kabinetts, with some orange peel, lime and slate. The minerality and acidity on the palate is amped up significantly and the palate is electrifying as a result. There is also great texture as well, and while the fruit feels relatively lean in tandem with the other elements, it has obvious quality and potential to be even more impressive with time. Excellent length. This is an exciting wine! 94/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    This is the most expressively ripe of the Kabinett flight - with a nose of passion fruit, graphite, pear, orange and yellow florals. The initial palate impression is that the ripeness is more held back than the nose, though it builds in intensity across its length while still having plenty of detail. Controlled and focused power rather than explosive. Should be superb with time. 93/100
2015 Spatlese

• 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Fruit aromas here show as quite tropical with pineapple and mango, as well as apple and grapefruit. The sweetness asserts itself strongly on the palate and while the focus is pulled back in across the mid palate, this ends up feeling a little soft at the moment in comparison to the other wines. Despite that I think if this gets time to settle down it should come around. 89/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Smoke, apple, lemon, spice and a little earthy touch on the nose. The acidity here is a little brighter than the Bernkasteler Badstube Spätlese and the wine feels more focused and driven. There is good fruit depth here and very good length. This stands as being of high individual quality, though the next two Spätlese were a step up yet again. 91/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Just like the Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett the nose here is tight initially, though with a short time in the glass it opened up and showed pear, apple, spice and slate. Again the palate is where this shines brightly, with beautiful purity, mineral drive and fine acidity that extends the length of this wine out significantly. Will be very interested to see this again with additional bottle age. 93/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Pungent and lifted aromatics, there is plenty of peach, nectarine, floral touches and an interesting plum note. The richness of the fruit is apparent on the palate, but it never feels out of balance - the mix of ripeness and crackling acidity gives the wine quite an exciting profile. Very pleasing to drink already and I'm sure that with time it will have even more to offer. 93/100
Back vintage Spatlese and Auslese interlude

• 2009 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    We tried this at the 2014 release tasting and it has come along nicely since. Lemon and lime, some smoke, pear and peaches. The palate is calm, with delicate fruit that also has good depth. In an excellent position to develop beautifully from here. 91/100
  • 2009 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    White floral aromas, with lemon, orange and peach. The palate has a very similar delicate nature as the Graacher Himmelreich, with the added element of slightly more ripe fruit. Good length, but I wonder if it is a touch soft toward the finish. Still feel like there is plenty of potential here and it would be fascinating to track its development next to the GH. 90/100
  • 2012 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    I tried this upon release 3 years ago and it is tracking along very nicely. A nose showing slate, peach, pear and apple. The quality of the wine is obvious on the palate, the fruit is the star, with acidity and sweetness supporting brilliantly. The clarity and drive of the wine is superb. Very happy to have a couple of bottles of this to see where it goes over the medium and longer term. 93/100
  • 2004 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Tried this at last years release tasting and it hasn't shifted significantly. Smokey, orange, pineapple and light honeyed notes. The palate has lovely composure, great texture and with zippy acidity driving this along nicely. This has settled in to develop slowly over the next 10 years. 92/100
2015 Auslese

• 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Quite sweet nose of spice, pineapple, quince, apple and apricot. The palate shows more some restraint, with very good acidity moving the fruit intensity into the background - the overall balance is quite impressive. Really feels quite approachable already, but no doubt some extra time will be of benefit as well. 91/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Cassis and plum on the nose, with some herb and earth - this is quite unlike the other wines on show today and it certainly helped it stand out. Zingy acid profile that really punches through the rich fruit, there is also a savoury note as well that gives it an extra dimension. Not my favourite wine of the day, but it managed to leave a lasting impressive with the interest it provided. 93/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Aromas of slate and talc, icing sugar, lemon pie, spices and peach. The balance and fruit purity here is superb, the flavour intensity is mouth-filling but the acidity crackles alongside the fruit and gives it a clarity and drive that is exceptional. Should be taken up to another level with time. 94/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Intoxicating nose - layered aromas of straw, graphite, pear, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon with plenty of white and yellow floral notes. The way the palate reins in the intensity of the fruit and manages to taste elegant and delicate is almost unbelievable! Superb length. The best young Wehlener Sonnenuhr I've tried! 96/100
2015 Auslese Goldkapsel and 2004 Eiswein

• 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Orange peel, spices, slate, lemon, floral notes and a light honey character on the nose. The palate is flat out delicious, with excellent fruit intensity and lip-smacking acidity providing that ever impressive balance of great sweet German Riesling. This has so much to offer already, but the best will be yet to come. A great start to a trio of brilliant Auslese Goldkaps at this tasting. 95/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Lay Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    I've never had a single vineyard Bernkasteler Lay from JJ Prum before, but what an introduction this was. The nose lifts out of the glass and shows off intense but distinct aromas of pear, lemon, apple, graphite and pineapple. The palate is beautifully layered and the slightly leaner feel compared to the other two Auslese Goldkaps allows the fine detail of every element to be enjoyed. Both delicate and driven, this wine was a superstar amongst a collection of incredible 2015 Riesling. 97/100
  • 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Again the intensity of the aromas here are impressive, with lemon rind, white florals, pineapple, mandarin and oranges. The power of the fruit comes through on the palate with an equal intensity through the acidity that gives the wine real verve and focus, the balance is actually impeccable here and the length is superb. A wondrous wine. 95/100
  • 2004 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Johannisbrünnchen Riesling Eiswein Lange Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    The final wine of the day and an absolute privilege to try it - this wine is a magical experience from start to finish. Aromas leap out of the glass, there is exotic smoke and spices, orange peel, apricot, coconut and pineapple. The palate is astounding, the depth and intensity of the fruit is stunning, while it still has an element of lightness and vibrancy that persists throughout the wine. This should improve easily over the next 10-15 years. 98/100

paul hanna

#2 Post by paul hanna » April 22nd, 2017, 12:53 am

Fantastic tasting, thanks for the excellent notes Cam.

Kent Comley

#3 Post by Kent Comley » April 22nd, 2017, 1:10 am

Thanks Cam. Just received an offer for these. Hopefully secured a bot of '02 GH Eiswein. Perhaps I should have plumped from some of the Bernkastler, based on your notes.
ITB

Sanjay Nandurkar

#4 Post by Sanjay Nandurkar » April 22nd, 2017, 1:23 am

Cam
Thanks for your detailed notes. I may end up buying a few Kabinetts.

Haven't seen you on the forum in ages. We should catch up up next time when I come up to Sydney

PCLIN

#5 Post by PCLIN » April 22nd, 2017, 1:31 am

Thanks for the excellent notes.
Chiu Lin

Cam Wheeler

#6 Post by Cam Wheeler » April 22nd, 2017, 1:41 am

Thanks all.
Kent Comley wrote:Hopefully secured a bot of '02 GH Eiswein. Perhaps I should have plumped from some of the Bernkastler, based on your notes.
Hoping to get 1x GH Eiswein as well but will still be happy if I can "only" grab a Bernkastler.
Sanjay Nandurkar wrote:Haven't seen you on the forum in ages. We should catch up up next time when I come up to Sydney
Have been busy with a new job over the past 18 months so much less forum time unfortunately. Definitely keen to catch up anytime you are around.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Kirk.Grant » April 22nd, 2017, 3:54 am

These notes are great, thank you for sharing. It's always nice to see good reports of the wines in my cellar.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » April 22nd, 2017, 6:14 am

Great notes. You really captured the Himmelreich Kabinett, which is the only 2015 I have had a full bottle of so far. It's amazing stuff.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 22nd, 2017, 6:27 am

You just encouraged me to (1) pop another bottles of the GH Kab tonight, sushi night and (2) go buy some more! It's only $28 in the local market.

For you Reisling pros, assuming I can keep my hands off any of them as I love my Kabs young, what's the recommended window for them, and how do they evolve?

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

JeromeHan

#10 Post by JeromeHan » April 22nd, 2017, 6:38 am

Ah, so you're the one I saw spamming my cellartracker front page all of a sudden with TNs haha. Much thanks.

Russell Faulkner

#11 Post by Russell Faulkner » April 22nd, 2017, 8:46 am

Thanks. I agree the 04 Eiswein is great, very fairly priced too.

M. Chacchia

#12 Post by M. Chacchia » April 23rd, 2017, 3:20 pm

Thanks for the notes Cam! I've been dragging my feet on purchasing 2015 for some reason, but just purchased a mixed case today.
Cheers
Marchello

Return to “Wine Talk”