What % of the wines you try do you do Tasting Notes for?

I was looking at my Cellartracker and noticed that while I have a couple hundred tasting notes, I have tried thousands of wines.

I’d estimate that I only log tasting notes for about 15% of the wines I drink.

How about others? Do you assiduously record TNs for most wines that pass your lips?

Maybe 5%

Though I record brief personal tasting notes for every wine consumed out of my cellar to remind myself when and where I drank it and keep track of how much air it needed and basics of how it was showing, I rarely write public notes. I don’t feel notes from me are necessary on well-known wines which already have many recent data points. No one needs to know that I, too, think '89 Haut Brion is amazing. I write notes on unusual wines, wines not reviewed recently or at all, or wines I feel the community might be particularly interested in. For example, if there was a recent thread here on how the vintage is showing, I feel a note might be timely. Or I might write a note if my impressions indicate a wine is entering a new phase and other notes don’t reflect that.

So really a tiny fraction.

Sounds about right for me as well. It has to be either a standout bottle (good or bad), somewhat unique, or I get the feeling a public tasting note would offer some sort of value to other peeps.

…Or maybe ive already had a few glasses so it makes me extra excited about what I’m drinking and i want to share :slight_smile:

I usually write a tasting note. I try to keep it brief, not a lot of descriptors, no lists of flavors, no comments about legs. Mostly a note on quality, structure, how it’s drinking and an overall impression. Per CT I’ve written notes for about 60% of my consumed bottles. That includes only wines I’ve logged into CT though, which wouldn’t include wines sampled at tastings, or wines consumed at dinners for that matter unless they were BYO from my cellar. However, of those 40% for which no note was written, many or most were likely wines that I’d already written a note about.

I’m better on wines drunk at home, with most of these going onto CT. For large events it’s harder to scribble notes but quite often I do - with these typically going onto a wine forum rather than CT. For lunches it’s a trade-off of notes vs. conversation and on the whole the conversation comes first. Tasting at (typically Italian) wineries is easier if they’re speaking English, as it relieves me of translation duties (and in truth I struggle with that), so I’d be more likely to take notes.

I’m cool with this - notes taken at home after having drunk some wine with food & then notes taken on a topped-up glass of the same wine are probably the best scenario for the wine to show it’s best face.

99.9%…just like Ivory.

If you never write it, you won’t remember it.

99.9% for me too. I don’t have the best memory for wines, but I’m really good at taking notes on everything.

I can be the yang to your yin. 0%

<1%.

Over 80%. But if I’ve had the wine before and my impression really hasn’t changed, then I’ll often skip the note writing.

0%

That’s pretty much the same for me. I jot down at least brief notes on bottles from my cellar for my own use.

I am in several wine groups, and do take more detailed notes at those events, but I post only a small fraction of those, when I think they’d be of interest to a wider audience.

I do find that taking notes focuses me on the wine. But on other occasions, like dinner parties, I’d often rather enjoy the company and conversation.

Brief notes on 80%+. More extensive notes on ~10%.

I have almost total recall of any wine that is good enough to take a second sip of… I’ve probably taken 300 notes and taste about 10 wines a day if you include non tasting days for the past 5 or so years…not including 300-400 wine days EP… maybe 10/week before that going back another 5-7 years. So somewhere under 1% is reasonable.

Tell me more about this total recall. Are you being serious? Like is this a superpower, or are you exaggerating a bit?

I used to write notes on 100% of wines that I tasted, more for learning for myself, but recently I’ve been slipping if the wine is unremarkable (like Trader Joe’s wine) at a party. So, let’s say 95%+.

When I sold it, all of them. Now only when it’s a specific tasting of wines - say the new vintage from Brunello, Bordeaux, etc. At dinners, it’s usually too weird so I don’t take notes on wine or on the cabbage either.

1-2%.

Maybe 60-70%. If I drink a wine at home with no company over, I nearly always do. Out at restaurants, maybe 25% if the wine stands out one way or another, and at a gathering with friends/family almost never.