Need Help Rose and Sub $15 Pinot

Hi folks.

This is a little out of my wheelhouse.

I need some Rose wines at the $14 or so price point and sub $15 pinots that don’t stink. Not looking for the best of the best but this is a difficult area to negociate.

I don’t taste a lot of these wines. I know many of you probably don’t either. Hoping that someone will have some
knowledge that they can give me here.

I have a friend looking for these wines and I have no idea what to tell them.

Cheers!

Domaine Mourchon rose from Flickinger is very good and priced under $15.

Can’t help with Pinot at that price but I bet someone from the Oregon group can.
For Rose :
Fontsainte!! ($12, and really good)
I have others but at that price I’d go with the Fontsainte.

Collestefano Rosa di Elena. Around $13 from Down to Earth Wines.

From the producer website:

Produced since 2009, made from Sangiovese (for the most part) and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes using white winemaking techniques, this is a wine of immediate appeal that expresses all the freshness of the site.

Best I can come up with for a PN is the wine currently up at WTSO for $20, and Eola Hills Reserve. A bit over your price point, but it really tastes like Pinot. WTSO has been coming up with a number of WV offerings, like recently a Dominio IV has shown up several times. Shipping is free.

Best Rose I’ve tasted recently in lyour range is Triennes.

Peter Hickner

If you have time to deal with shipping, here are some options from a good source for this kind of thing.

P Hickner

Rob also had a Marsannay Rose a few weeks ago.

Someone recently opened a Kim Crawford South Island P.N. for me and it was quite decent. Just under $20 here, so I’m sure it would be under $15 where you are. Tasted like Pinot.

Two birds with one stone!

This for the Pinot.

$10 at Costco. Wino Spectator gave it a 90. With air, it’s actually pretty tasty and not sugary like so many cheap Pinots.

I am a fan of the Fontsainte gris de gris rose too.

Don, can’t help at pinot noir for $15, but for a couple more dollars there are Luli Santa Lucia Highlands, La Crema Sonoma Coast, and Au Bon Climat Santa Barbara Cty.

The Bodegas Muga Rosado is usually pretty good for about $12.

I don’t mean to steer you off pinot but does it HAVE to be pinot? That is a really tricky pricepoint and will almost certainly be junk.

Now, if you can buy by the case? You’re fine.

I don’t know where you’re from but here are a few suggestions that are available for under $15 if you buy by the case:

2013 J. Christopher “JJ” (or 2014) $12 at cost roughly (should be around $15.
2015/2014 Cameron WV - Cost is around $14.
McKinley WV Cost is around $14
Goodfellow or Matello should be around $15 at cost

Sub $15 for decent Pinot…that is a noble quest.

Where are you getting the Cameron WV for $14???

“At cost”, my apologies for misleading.

There are places that will sell at cost + 10%. I bought cases of Cameron for $14.70 last year.

Don, this for the rose, or Chidaine’s Touraine.

A few points north of $15, but probably my favorite rose (if I’m not counting Foti, which is $40):
http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1255350

I was going to ask where in the hell you find Cameron Pinot for under $15 too, but forgot about the cost +10% deal that Brandon mentions. Gotta love Freddie’s.

For rosé, Domaine de Sulauze Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence Pomponette Rose and another vote for Fontsainte or Muga.