Odd fault(?)

2011 Pacherhof Kerner Valle Isarco / Eisacktaler Brixner

4/14/2017 - I wrote: (Edit) flawed

Acetaldehyde fault? Bone dry, lots of acid, maybe just a bit of sherry. Oddly also a ton of huge tartaric crystals that seemed out of place in a dry white.

Not a fault, but this seemed odd…
The crystals were formed into gigantic clumps. I’ve never seen such volume in a non-sweet wine. It was more than you’d see in a bottle of PX with some age. This has only been in the bottle for 5 years. I’ll post a pic.

The two other notes from two different tasters showed a totally different wine with peach and stone.

Here is about 3/4 of the tartaric crystals
IMG_8408.JPG

I’d be more worried about the nickel you found in the wine.

^ must have been the metallic taste

[cheers.gif]

I think it’s the mumps.

Might just be oxidized but also wasn’t cold stabilized. Multiple things happening there.

Not uncommon for whites not to be cold stabilized these days. It’s an expensive process if you take into account keeping tanks at freezing temperatures for extended periods of time to achieve this.

The acetaldehydes would definitely point towards oxidized - do you have a second bottle of this to open and try? Bummer . . .

Cheers.

Those are the largest precipitants I have ever seen from a bottle of wine - aside from the “grape stem” a local wine shop employee showed me that came out of a $7 bottle of Spanish red.

Hmmm, I would guess that this wine was frozen or damn near close to frozen at some point in its life to precipitate the crystals so vigorously. Obviously it was not cold-stabilized. You are correct in that the amount of crystals is way above what would normally be present in a wine so I can only guess that somehow in bottling this wine a large concentration infected a certain portion of the bottling…I can’t imagine they would have added that much tartaric acid to the entire “lot” of wine and then bottled it but I could be wrong…pretty certain that’s not a naturally occurring amount…it would have to have been added. I’m not a winemaker so just guesses.

Chris does live in one of the coldest parts of the country.