It's critic bingo! ("vertical in feel")

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: It's critic bingo! "A magical infinity!"

#501 Post by Craig G » February 26th, 2019, 7:58 pm

For what I paid for 2016 Pichon Lalande, If it’s not a vivid, dramatically sweeping wine that will leave me weak at the knees, I will feel somewhat cheated.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

William Kelley

#502 Post by William Kelley » February 27th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Craig G wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 7:58 pm
For what I paid for 2016 Pichon Lalande, If it’s not a vivid, dramatically sweeping wine that will leave me weak at the knees, I will feel somewhat cheated.
Always grounding to read over this thread. It's hard to retain a consumer perspective in wine criticism today, but all the more important.
The Wine Advocate

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#503 Post by John Morris » February 27th, 2019, 6:02 pm

William Kelley wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 4:55 pm
Craig G wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Always grounding to read over this thread. It's hard to retain a consumer perspective in wine criticism today, but all the more important.
I'm very sorry if we brought you down to Earth, William. [wink.gif]
"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

"It's hard for a $35 zin to compete with a $100 cabernet that tastes the same." – me, 2018

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#504 Post by Charlie Carnes » February 28th, 2019, 5:49 pm

John Morris wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 9:34 am
On the finish, there are persistent nuances of shelf-talker pandering.
I am sorry I missed this before. This is a perfect statement, and sums up... well everything. I might not be weak at the knees after reading this, but I am hooting with glee!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#505 Post by John Morris » March 16th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Can't say I'm keen on the idea of cat hair in my mouth. I'd be afraid I'd spit up furballs:
Tasting through Sine Qua Non’s current releases & am totally floored by this Next of Kyn No 9 (2015). Layers, energy, nuances in a state of flux between fruit, floral, earth & spice. Texture! Like stroking a kitten in your mouth. It transports to the home vineyard, Cumulus, a vineyard without peers, without precedent, an achievement of blind faith in an uncompromising vision. And yeah, it’s irresponsibly delicious too.
(Lisa Perrotti-Brown, Wine Advocate, on Instagram)
"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

"It's hard for a $35 zin to compete with a $100 cabernet that tastes the same." – me, 2018

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: It's critic bingo! (Furballs?)

#506 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » March 16th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Hmmm, stroking a kitten in your mouth....

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

GregT

#507 Post by GregT » March 16th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Her oral sensitivity leaves me speechless!
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#508 Post by Mel Knox » March 16th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Maybe Mannfred is going after the cat lover market....this could be a breakthrough for all of us.
ITB

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#509 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » March 16th, 2019, 4:41 pm

GregT wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 3:45 pm
Her oral sensitivity leaves me speechless!
You are not an orator, I presume?

Kenny H (circa 2015)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#510 Post by John Morris » March 27th, 2019, 4:45 pm

I like this -- "strong notes of sandalwood and guilt."
Attachments
Notes of sandalwood and guilt.JPG

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#511 Post by David Glasser » March 28th, 2019, 10:08 am

I think "furballs" is just Suthrin talk* for alcoholic heat. Or maybe an STD. Perhaps contracted from "stroking a kitten in your mouth."

*that’s how they say "fireballs" down there.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#512 Post by RichardFlack » March 28th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 5:40 am
Jim Brennan wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 4:40 am
Don't forget the real actual liquid sunshine.
I read a critic’s note on a Pomerol recently that called it “liquid sex”. I need to find it and link it.

You drink it?

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#513 Post by RichardFlack » March 28th, 2019, 5:18 pm

John Morris wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 1:16 pm
Here's a fun pair of tasting notes from 2015. Note that there is only one specific flavor/aroma descriptor they have in common: violets.
2010 Costanti Brunello di Montalcino
97 Points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous: “Costanti's 2010 Brunello di Montalcino is stunning. Dark, powerful and mysterious in the glass, the 2010 captivates all the senses with its breathtaking beauty and layered, multi-dimensional personality. Lavender, violets, savory herbs, smoke, plums and graphite flow through to the rich, explosive finish. There is a prism-like sense of transparency allied to pure power in the 2010 that is impossible miss. Readers who can find the 2010 should not hesitate; it is a must-have. While many 2010s are approachable today, the Costanti's 2010 is not; it is a wine for the cellar. "

96 Points, Kerin O'Keefe, Wine Enthusiast: [Cellar Selection] "Aromas of menthol, leather, pressed violet, forest floor and woodland berry lead off this intense Brunello. The firm, delicious palate offers dried red cherry, crushed raspberry, ground white pepper and licorice alongside a backbone of assertive but fine-grained tannins and racy acidity. It's impeccably balanced and elegant but still young, so give it time to develop to its full potential. Drink 2020-2035"
The other common factor is verbosity.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#514 Post by RichardFlack » March 28th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Seamless graphite ... so what is seamed graphite???

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#515 Post by RichardFlack » March 28th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Following my previous post...
The obvious issue whether notes are to be taken literally word by word, or just read for an impression of the wine. To me the latter is key: do I want to buy or taste it. How will I feel about it. I’m not trying to reverse engineer the wine. And in conveying that impression, some poetic licence is ok indeed may be essential.

So I’m all for brevity. A good writer can do it in three or four sentences. I’m not looking for a recipe. A short poem will do the trick.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#516 Post by RichardFlack » March 28th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Oh that’s not to say that John hasn’t started a terrific parlour game. So keep them coming.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#517 Post by John Morris » April 3rd, 2019, 2:18 pm

1998 Clos de Sarpe, St-Emilion
94 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
Medium to deep garnet-brick in color, the 1998 Clos de Sarpe gives a beautiful perfume of Chinese five spice, sandalwood and preserved plums with notions of dried mulberries, potpourri, black truffles, cast iron pan and a compelling waft of aniseed. Medium-bodied with wonderful elegance, incredible freshness and a scintillating satiny texture, the perfumed layers just go on and on. Wow—fantastic surprise! (LPB)
[scratch.gif]

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#518 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 3rd, 2019, 6:18 pm

Haha, damn Yankees. Can't understand a Southern reference.

If you've ever been hit by one, or burned by one, you would understand.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

GregT

#519 Post by GregT » April 3rd, 2019, 8:24 pm

Notions of cast iron pan.

Notions of . . . WTF?

"Dear, do you get a little notion of bell pepper in this wine?"

"No hon, but I do believe I'm getting a notion of ceramic tile. Maybe Mexican? And perhaps a notion of brass hinges?"
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#520 Post by John Morris » April 3rd, 2019, 8:43 pm

Personally, I often find Teflon notes in St. Emilion.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#521 Post by Charlie Carnes » April 4th, 2019, 9:50 am

RichardFlack wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 5:29 pm
So I never tasted my old Prince Pro tennis Rackets , but maybe I should have. They were graphite (guessing seamed as well)!

Jayson Cohen

#522 Post by Jayson Cohen » April 5th, 2019, 1:21 pm

“The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigna del Sorbo (100% Sangiovese) is a wine that inspires a deep, deep breath into your glass. There's so much to take in and admire. So where to start? First, the wine shows a beautiful appearance that is thick and dark but allows for just enough ambient light to make it shine with ruby rays from deep inside. Then you have the bouquet that presents a solid wall of interwoven and ultimately beautifully balanced aromas. There is dark fruit, tobacco, leather, spice and polished river stone. Lastly, the mouthfeel reveals a similar level of extreme flavor equilibrium with very fine but still very young tannins. That mid-weight structure, matched to the wine's natural acidity, is a major guarantee of longevity. Bottle production in this vintage is 30,000 units strong."

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#523 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 9:50 am
RichardFlack wrote:
So I never tasted my old Prince Pro tennis Rackets , but maybe I should have. They were graphite (guessing seamed as well)!
I intend to start using carbon fiber references, reminiscent of my very fine Italian race bike.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#524 Post by John Morris » April 5th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 1:21 pm
“The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Vigna del Sorbo (100% Sangiovese) is a wine that inspires a deep, deep breath into your glass. There's so much to take in and admire. So where to start? First, the wine shows a beautiful appearance that is thick and dark but allows for just enough ambient light to make it shine with ruby rays from deep inside. Then you have the bouquet that presents a solid wall of interwoven and ultimately beautifully balanced aromas. There is dark fruit, tobacco, leather, spice and polished river stone. Lastly, the mouthfeel reveals a similar level of extreme flavor equilibrium with very fine but still very young tannins. That mid-weight structure, matched to the wine's natural acidity, is a major guarantee of longevity. Bottle production in this vintage is 30,000 units strong."
Uggh. Who is responsible for this blather?

Sounds like a 15-year-old's attempt at poetry.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#525 Post by Charlie Carnes » April 5th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Charlie Carnes wrote:
RichardFlack wrote:
I intend to start using carbon fiber references, reminiscent of my very fine Italian race bike.
the wine was redolent of Columbus tubing, and Campy brake pads, with the minerality of a Cinelli seat post, and Mavic g 40 rims

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#526 Post by David Glasser » April 6th, 2019, 5:55 am

Charlie Carnes wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 9:07 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Charlie Carnes wrote:

the wine was redolent of Columbus tubing, and Campy brake pads, with the minerality of a Cinelli seat post, and Mavic g 40 rims
Let’s not leave out that classic: sweaty saddle leather. It’s not just for equestrians.

GregT

#527 Post by GregT » April 6th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Let’s not leave out that classic: sweaty saddle leather. It’s not just for equestrians.
I just threw up a little in my mouth.
G . T a t a r

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#528 Post by John Morris » April 7th, 2019, 10:23 am

2016 Vajra Barbera d'Alba
WA 89
"This is a dark and nicely balanced wine to drink with hearty pasta dishes topped with grated cheese and meat ragù. The 2016 Barbera d'Alba is a terrific food wine with bright acidity and saline, almost salty flavor qualities. All of this makes your mouth water. Fruity tones of black cherry and dried blackberry wrap thickly over the palate. Fruit is sourced from six vineyard sites and blended here. Give this wine another six months of bottle time before popping the cork." -Monica Larner
Hey, Monica, why not go for it and say "saline, almost salty, brine-like, flavor qualities."

(Anyone here had dried blackberries? Never heard of them.)

Marcu$ Stanley

#529 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » April 7th, 2019, 7:31 pm

John Morris wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 8:02 pm
2016 Fuligni Rosso di Montalcino
"This shows a distinctive and lifted candied tangerine edge, as well as blueberry peel and sour cherries. The palate's very tight with edgy acidity, showing firm tannins and a bright finish. Not the richest of wines, but very endearing."-James Suckling
Blueberry peel?!
Except for the excessive use of obscure fruit descriptors which don't communicate, which seems practically de rigeur in today's critical world, this one actually seems like a decent note. It conveys the impression that the wine is somewhat citric, a bit sour, tight and sharp but has brightness and charm. That's useful information that distinguishes it from other wines and doesn't ignore actual description in favor of a torrent of overwrought superlatives. The ratio of words to information is pretty high here.

Speaking of which, so many of these notes just seem like Mad Libs of over the top superlatives. Maybe it's just me, but how many people here have ever had a truly transcendent wine experience with a new release or a wine that's only a few years old? For the most part the great wines need age. But to read critics you'd think half the prestige new releases out there will send you to the moon and stars right out of the barrel. If you're predicting that it will become a great wine with time then there must be some uncertainty in your prediction. Give us a sober description of why you think it will age well.

Maybe I'm wrong about new releases though, I usually age my wines. Maybe they really are that incredible. One of the critics here can correct me.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#530 Post by David Glasser » April 8th, 2019, 8:54 am

Marcus, you need to treat those new releases with one of those new-aged magnet or crystal things to get that transcendental experience. You might also be able to achieve wine nirvana by peeling 1,000,000 blueberries, but that sounds like too much work.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#531 Post by John Morris » April 8th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Marcu$ Stanley wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 7:31 pm
John Morris wrote:
2016 Fuligni Rosso di Montalcino
"This shows a distinctive and lifted candied tangerine edge, as well as blueberry peel and sour cherries. The palate's very tight with edgy acidity, showing firm tannins and a bright finish. Not the richest of wines, but very endearing."-James Suckling
Blueberry peel?!
Except for the excessive use of obscure fruit descriptors which don't communicate, which seems practically de rigeur in today's critical world, this one actually seems like a decent note. It conveys the impression that the wine is somewhat citric, a bit sour, tight and sharp but has brightness and charm. That's useful information that distinguishes it from other wines and doesn't ignore actual description in favor of a torrent of overwrought superlatives. The ratio of words to information is pretty high here.
I agree. It was just the blueberry peel that was bizarre. Sometimes you wonder if it's a game of "Lets see what no-one-has-ever-tasted-this taste descriptors I can slip by the readers." The dried blackberries I posted on a couple of days ago was a new one to me.
Marcu$ Stanley wrote:
Speaking of which, so many of these notes just seem like Mad Libs of over the top superlatives. Maybe it's just me, but how many people here have ever had a truly transcendent wine experience with a new release or a wine that's only a few years old? For the most part the great wines need age. But to read critics you'd think half the prestige new releases out there will send you to the moon and stars right out of the barrel. If you're predicting that it will become a great wine with time then there must be some uncertainty in your prediction. Give us a sober description of why you think it will age well.

Maybe I'm wrong about new releases though, I usually age my wines. Maybe they really are that incredible. One of the critics here can correct me.
I've had lots of serious young wines that need serious time but which are extremely impressive on release.

But in cases like that, it would be most helpful if the critic said, "This has the depth, complexity and balance to evolve into something wonderful, even though it's tannic and tightly wound at present" or some such. Too often it's, "This is incredibly great but it's hard to drink now. But back up the truck!" One can be forgiven for saying, "Huh?"

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#532 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 9th, 2019, 2:56 am

GregT wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 2:13 pm
I guarantee that you can find that in more than one note that I have written on this site. Guaranteed.

[wow.gif]

Edit:

I could not resist:

search.php?keywords=Sweaty+leather&term ... mit=Search

And half of those wines were the classic Cordiers of the 1980s!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#533 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » April 9th, 2019, 6:53 am

John Morris wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 7:50 pm
Marcu$ Stanley wrote:
John Morris wrote:

Blueberry peel?!
I agree. It was just the blueberry peel that was bizarre. Sometimes you wonder if it's a game of "Lets see what no-one-has-ever-tasted-this taste descriptors I can slip by the readers." The dried blackberries I posted on a couple of days ago was a new one to me.
Marcu$ Stanley wrote:

I've had lots of serious young wines that need serious time but which are extremely impressive on release.

But in cases like that, it would be most helpful if the critic said, "This has the depth, complexity and balance to evolve into something wonderful, even though it's tannic and tightly wound at present" or some such. Too often it's, "This is incredibly great but it's hard to drink now. But back up the truck!" One can be forgiven for saying, "Huh?"
Of course blueberries do not have a “peel.” They have a skin. But if you get a piece of just the skin somehow, you will find it is quite astringent.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

GregT

#534 Post by GregT » April 9th, 2019, 8:35 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 2:56 am
GregT wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 2:13 pm
I guarantee that you can find that in more than one note that I have written on this site. Guaranteed.

[wow.gif]

Edit:

I could not resist:

search.php?keywords=Sweaty+leather&term ... mit=Search

And half of those wines were the classic Cordiers of the 1980s!
You made me throw up a little more!

But now that I think about it, I wonder how that would taste with a little blueberry peel.

The thing about those pesky peels is that they come with the blueberries. Some people might remove them but I confess, I never have. So tasting it separately is a rare and apparently a wonderful experience. That's the kind of description that sounds good until you try to figure out if you've ever experienced it yourself.
G . T a t a r

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#535 Post by John Morris » April 9th, 2019, 9:34 am

I'm afraid that, in the same spirit of research that prompted my research on the odors of graphite and rhubarb many pages back, I may have to start peeling blueberries when they come into season. It's a burden, this commitment to advancing the frontiers of wine knowledge....

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#536 Post by John Morris » April 13th, 2019, 11:40 am

My kingdom for an editor!

This isn't a tasting note, but it is the words of a wine critic:
The news hit Piedmont (Alto and Basso) with intensity, thanks to a powerful realization that, metaphorically speaking, the Nebbiolo grape had suddenly been given more latitude. Roberto Conterno, owner of the venerated Giacomo Conterno winery in Monforte d'Alba, does not deny that he had been open to a new acquisition for a while. But as he tells it, Nervi was a sudden obsession that captured his heart and soul with irresistible intensity. -- Monica Larner, The Wine Advocate
[shock.gif] [cry.gif]

Perhaps it came via Google Translate from a non-Indo-European language.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#537 Post by John Morris » April 15th, 2019, 7:40 am

There's a Doonesbury strip from the 1970s of a Ted Kennedy press conference, where Kennedy mumbles words and sentence fragments until some wag at the back calls out, "A verb, Senator, we need a verb!"

Here I find myself shouting out, "A period, Allen! We need a period!"
2013 Coche Dury Corton Charlemagne
"An incredibly densely fruited nose also only grudgingly offers up notes of stone, tangerine peel, white flowers, green apple and plenty of spice and soft wood nuances. There is an almost painful intensity to the equally concentrated and overtly powerful broad-shouldered flavors that brim with dry extract that simultaneously coats the palate while buffering the extremely firm acid spine on the incredibly long finish. This is a breathtakingly good CC but note well that it will be largely pointless to open one of these rare beauties before it is at least 7 to 8 years of age. As an aside I would add that I was so taken with this wine that I could still taste it the next day. A 'wow' wine if there ever was one."-Allen Meadows

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#538 Post by David Glasser » April 15th, 2019, 1:10 pm

He must have borrowed Schildknecht's old keyboard. The period key worked intermittently at best.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#539 Post by John Morris » April 15th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Ah! That would explain it!

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: It's critic bingo! ("floral sparks")

#540 Post by John Morris » April 22nd, 2019, 2:36 pm

Sometimes I wonder if LPB has an assistant researching new descriptors. In some cases, it looks more like a random descriptor generator:
100 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The 2016 Vieux Château Certan is blended of 85% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc and 1% Cabernet Sauvignon. Deep garnet-purple in color, it leaps from the glass with pristine, vivid notions of candied violets, chocolate-covered cherries, blackberry compote and mulberries with fragrant touches of raspberry leaves, crushed rocks, licorice, cumin seed and yeast extract plus a waft of red roses. Medium to full-bodied and beautifully elegant, the palate builds from a quiet intensity to an incredibly well-sustained aria of crunchy red and black cherries notes plus tons of floral undertones, framed by exquisitely soft yet firm tannins and seamless freshness, finishing very long with lingering mineral and floral sparks. How does this 2016 compare to the also amazing 2015 vintage? Stylistically they are very different, as my notes on each should convey, but beyond this I am struck by the incredible harmony and seamlessness of the 2016 along with its amazing depth and energy this year. Bravo!
Raspberry leaves?
Yeast extract? (100 points? Personally, I mark wines down if they smell like Marmite.)
Exquisitely soft yet firm?
Floral sparks? (Time to put a sprinkler system in the garden.)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: It's critic bingo! ("floral sparks")

#541 Post by John Morris » April 22nd, 2019, 2:48 pm

Now I'm reading the other critics on the same wine, all in a K&L e-mail. The amazing thing is that there is virtually no overlap in the aroma and flavor descriptors, save for a recurrence of violet/lavender, blackberry and chocolate. But James Suckling gets orange peel and Neal Martin gets more red fruits.
99 points James Suckling
The ripeness in this wine is incredibly balanced and perfect with plum and orange-peel character, buttressed by the ripe seeds of the grapes that give a hazelnut and coffee undertone. Turns to violets. Full body with firm and very sexy tannins that are perfectly balanced and polished. Some chocolate and dried black tea-leaf character in the aftertaste.

97 points Decanter
This is deep and incredibly silky, with concentrated notes of coffee grounds and cappuccino, liquorice and a welcome touch of bitterness. There's a whoosh of menthol freshness and dark chocolate through the finish.

97 points Wine Spectator
A horse of a different color among its peers in this vintage, featuring an extremely vivid core of pastis-soaked plum, cassis and blackberry fruit streaming forth. Muscular yet imbued with racy cut, the finish ripples along the edges, with sweet tobacco, warm gravel and ganache notes.

100 points Neal Martin for Vinous
The wine takes a few minutes to open in the glass, but boy, is it worth the wait: it reveals pixelated red fruit (crushed strawberry and raspberry) and crushed stone, plus a hint of graphite emanating from the Cabernets. The palate is medium-bodied with fine, slightly chalky tannin that frames pure black and red fruit infused with graphite and almost flint-like notes.
Warm gravel on the finish?
Pixelated red fruit?

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: It's critic bingo! ("pixelated fruit")

#542 Post by David Glasser » April 22nd, 2019, 3:09 pm

Like strawberry and raspberry versions of these?

pixy-stix-paper-assorted_b0efe288-507f-483d-933a-8d99220ddc92.png

Otto Forsberg

#543 Post by Otto Forsberg » April 23rd, 2019, 5:08 am

Raspberry leaves is definitely a thing, I've had raspberry leaf tea many times. Consequently, I've used the descriptor also in my tasting notes.

The leaves smell very much like raspberry, but - unsurprisingly - just more green and leafy.

Otto Forsberg

#544 Post by Otto Forsberg » April 23rd, 2019, 5:09 am

But that pixelated red fruit note.

Just what.

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#545 Post by Mark Thompson » April 23rd, 2019, 5:33 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 5:09 am

Just what.
D3F1CB80-5248-4DC0-B9F0-34C5901E1051.jpeg

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#546 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 23rd, 2019, 9:35 am

Did VCC hire Rolland for 2016?

;)

Some of those notes would give me pause were I in the market to acquire the 2016 vintage of what truly is one of my top five favorite Bordeaux estates.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

GregT

#547 Post by GregT » April 23rd, 2019, 11:02 am

This is what it tastes like:
pixelated.jpg
pixelated.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 456 times
And there's a hint of graphite emanating from the Cabernets, while the crushed red and black fruit are infused with graphite. So apparently there's graphite all over this baby.

But three of the TNs do overlap - Suckling, Decanter, and WS all found chocolate.
G . T a t a r

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#548 Post by John Morris » April 23rd, 2019, 11:03 am

Yes, I mentioned the chocolate in post #541. Plums also come up a couple of times.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#549 Post by John Morris » April 23rd, 2019, 11:07 am

I've commented on this here and there, but Galloni has one particular tic that drives me nuts -- his tendency to sum up his note with, "It's as simple as that." Definitely one for your bingo card.

For example:
This is a phenomenal set of wines that confirms Fèlsina's standing as one of the great estates in the world. It's as simple as that.

The takeaway from this historic tasting is obvious: the Chianti Classico Riserva Vigna del Sorbo is Fontodi’s flagship wine. It’s as simple as that.

2014 Caterwaul ‘Regusci Vineyard’ Cabernet Sauvignon ….
The 2014 is gorgeous. It’s as simple as that.

2016 Pavie Macquin
The 2016 is a stunningly beautiful bottle of wine and one of the finest reds of the year - it's as simple as that.

Rhys is world class. It's as simple as that.

2016 Ch Pontet Canet Pauillac
The 2016 is tremendous. It's as simple as that.
And, in one creative moment, this variant:
100 points
2016 Vieux Château Certan … Put simply, the 2016 VCC has it all.

Yao C

#550 Post by Yao C » April 23rd, 2019, 11:47 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 5:09 am

Just what.
Yes I've been curious about that too. Sometimes it's been rendered as "pixilated"
C h 0 o n 6

Return to “Wine Talk”